Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I foresee a fight for the only television in my sister's house for Thanksgiving.

We have the contingent that thinks we should not watch any game and instead concentrate on family and talking. What nonsense!

We have the majority who think we should be watching NFL football.

I'm going to need to bribe a few family members to support me on the notion of watching Duke basketball on Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
    I presented my sister with two options: My dad and I could show up at 3 pm and watch the game at her house, or we could show up a 6 pm. She chose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Don’t want to derail this thread, but I do have a disagreeing, and possibly mildly disagreeable, response. See Off-Topic World Cup thread, post #292. Or not, if even reading a few sentences about the footy would make you miserable.
    Ah, so it appears you're making the argument that the rest of the world loves soccer, but the U.S. doesn't. I will have to agree then that yes, soccer is unAmerican. Also, I think it's false logic to say that since most of the world loves something, it therefore must be great. Avatar was the highest grossing film ever when it was released and got rave reviews, but deep down, everyone knows it was trash.

I won't try to further derail this thread either. I will end by saying that the best way to sum up soccer is the old adage about if a tree falls in the woods, but no one is there, does it make a sound? If a soccer match ends in a 0-0 tie, has a real sporting event actually occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy12 View Post
    I am boycotting the World Cup this year, as should everyone. Not because of the whole Qatar thing, but because soccer is miserable to watch and should be illegal worldwide.
    I have an easy fix. Move the goals closer to midfield and allow play behind the net, like ice hockey and lacrosse. More bang-bang play, more goals!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    fortunately my dad still can't get over the kneeling stuff, so only basketball and world cup to split attention
    You mean when the QB kneels down on the last play of the game, sealing the win? My fav part!

Also, if Kansas gets slammed with some NCAA violations, maybe Dick can transfer so he can be on a team with Tinkle and the Beavers.

I won't try to further derail this thread either.
    Nor I. If interested in a response, see World Cup thread, posts #302-303.

Also, if Kansas gets slammed with some NCAA violations, maybe Dick can transfer so he can be on a team with Tinkle and the Beavers.
    Dick, Tinkle and the Beavers...right up there with Dick Trickle

Along with seeing continued improvement from Lively and Whitehead, I’d love to see Proctor regain his shooting form. All the other perimeter guys are shooting well on the season, but Proctor is only 19% from 3. He doesn’t have to shoot 40%+, but we need him not to be a liability out there.

I am boycotting the World Cup this year, as should everyone. Not because of the whole Qatar thing, but because soccer is miserable to watch and should be illegal worldwide.
    and yet your boycott is only "this year?"

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    and yet your boycott is only "this year?"
    Well, I renew it every year.

Well, I renew it every year.
    hey, you never know when soccer might get more interesting!

Exactly. I don't think it would require too many changes. Just allow them to pick up the ball, throw it, hit each other, drastically increase scoring, get rid of the fake injuries. Then, I might choose not to renew my boycott. As it is now, it seems like basketball if we got rid of the shot clock, everyone ran the 4 corners, and no one valued the ball and would just randomly throw it way into the stands for no reason.

Soccer has many advantages over most sports.

1. The size of the player doesn't matter.

I foresee a fight for the only television in my sister's house for Thanksgiving.

We have the contingent that thinks we should not watch any game and instead concentrate on family and talking. What nonsense!

I'm going to need to bribe a few family members to support me on the notion of watching Duke basketball on Thanksgiving.

I'm definitely sending good vibes your way that you get to watch the game! I'm only dealing with a family of three but I got everyone to agree that I watch the Buffalo Bills at noon, Duke at 3 and then we can eat at 5! Win-win-win for me! (And hopefully for my teams!)

Happy Thanksgiving to my DBR family!
    Kelly
    You might call it an obsession, we call it Duke Basketball!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Soccer has many advantages over most sports.

1. The size of the player doesn't matter.

no timeouts or commercials is a nice bonus...by far the most game action per wall-clock minute of any sport. Many here will readily admit that live bball and fball are nigh on unwatchable, and instead watch on replay and FF through commercials.

Now, if one doesn't appreciate the actual *action* on the field, that's a different story...but I far prefer it to the 11 minutes of actual play time in 3+ hours of wall time we get in NCAAF. (not to mention the head-injury stuff, and fact that the players have to decide in real-time how to play, instead of having someone calling in from the coaching box telling them which scripted play to run)

The injury and time wasting BS, yeah. you got me. all the finger wagging at the refs and flopping aroud...get that nonsense out of here...but modern basektball isn't that far off in that regard.
    April 1

Worst case scenario fake a tummy ache. You can watch from the ESPN app on a phone or tablet from the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Worst case scenario fake a tummy ache. You can watch from the ESPN app on a phone or tablet from the bathroom.
    Bathroom?! Screw that...

Peloton: Wow, I have a serious case of nausea after all that turkey with gravy, oyster dressing, and collards.

Peloton's dear old mom: Son, what can I do to help you feel better?

Peloton (sounding downright pitiful now): Mom, could you possibly put on the Duke basketball game? I think that may help.

Peloton's (even more now) dear old mom: Sure, son...how's that?

Peloton: Thanks, Mom...you're the greatest. Any chance I could get a little more turkey w/gravy & more of that oyster dressing?

Peloton's (now suspicious but still) dear old mom: I thought you said you had nausea from all that food?

Peloton: Well I did, but I feel better already now for some reason.

My fixes for soccer:

Get rid of goalies

Make the goal smaller, and, umm, circular

Raise the goal up off the ground about ten feet

Allow the players to use their hands

Shrink the size of the court to, I dunno, about 97 feet, maybe?

Get rid of the grass and put in hardwood

Make the players bounce the ball off the hardwood when moving with the ball

Yep. That should about do it. 😁

Should be a challenge, with a 12 noon EST 3 pm PST start. Hope the team has adjusted to the early start. Need points from Flip, Jeremy, Mark and Jacob. Hope they make a few extra passes and take the best shot. I expect the 10 man rotation to continue.Like to see more integration of Derek and Dariq into the offense.Young and Blakes can get a few buckets. Tyrese has taken good shots, but he needs to knock down the 3 or floater.Tyrese is our best playmaker,but would like to see Jeremy help with ball distribution.

Defense is been the best aspect of this team along with rebounding. Need some Flip ,Lively,Porter, and Young putbacks . Duke is getting better at perimeter shooting. Hope that trajectory heads in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Should be a challenge.
    Many Duke fans will be challenged by Cory A’s “commentary.” Thanksgiving turkey.