Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    I will say, Cut had an eye for diamonds in the rough. But he did not know how best to use them. Reference: Jordan Moore, Brandon Johnson. One thing I will give Cut big credit for is utilizing our TEs; Elko and Johns would be best served to take a page from the old Cut playbook for TEs. Other than that, it’s inconceivable how we would ever get 8 wins this season?

Quote Originally Posted by triple duke View Post
    I will say, Cut had an eye for diamonds in the rough. But he did not know how best to use them. Reference: Jordan Moore, Brandon Johnson. One thing I will give Cut big credit for is utilizing our TEs; Elko and Johns would be best served to take a page from the old Cut playbook for TEs. Other than that, it’s inconceivable how we would ever get 8 wins this season?
    One caveat....I would say Cut was very good at knowing how to use them for the first several years...but that ability seemed stagnant the last several years...

What this means is that Duke Football was one centimeter away from the ACC Coastal championship. One centimeter on the UNC TD at the end of the game at WW.

So close AND so far this team has come.

Tight ends are great targets. Secondaries are going to cover Moore and Calhoun and Hagans. Kevin Johns should get it in the playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I miss Mr. Sumner's recaps.
    Linky linky: https://jimsumner.substack.com/p/duk...r-big-win-over
    Last edited by Bob Green; 11-27-2022 at 05:16 AM.

The past few seasons Duke struggled to throw downfield, yesterday Riley Leonard threw four touchdown passes covering 46, 30, 30 and 20 yards. The offense is entertaining.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The past few seasons Duke struggled to throw downfield, yesterday Riley Leonard threw four touchdown passes covering 46, 30, 30 and 20 yards. The offense is entertaining.

GoDuke!

Genial disagreement. I suspect Elko is fully cognizant of the value of tight ends, he just doesn't have any good and healthy ones now. Dalmolin was adequate, but I think he's hurt now, we only have inexperienced Cole Finney. I expect Elko and Johns will make solid use of tight ends when they have some good ones.

Attending the games in recent years, our receivers just didn't get any separation. This year they're getting open all over the field...what a pleasure to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Attending the games in recent years, our receivers just didn't get any separation. This year they're getting open all over the field...what a pleasure to watch.
    With no outward improvement in receiver talent, apparently the result of better scheming and execution?

Although I do miss the bubble screens.

Remember when Duke hired Elko, and there were concerns that he was so defense-oriented that we would not have a good offense? I guess he proved that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    With no outward improvement in receiver talent, apparently the result of better scheming and execution?
    I'm not smart enough to know. I suspect better scheme, and Hagans has been fantastic as a new guy...and it doesn't hurt that the running game has been so strong. All in all Johns has done an absolutely A+ job.

While Elko deserves credit- the key this year was the emergence of Leonard as a high level QB who likes the big moment and the emergence of Moore as a big time receiver. You cannot win without an above average QB and a playmaker can make something out of nothing. Duke also was able to have enough depth to manage the inevitable injuries. A great year but every year is different. One key injury and everything can change.

I'm not smart enough to know. I suspect better scheme, and Hagans has been fantastic as a new guy...and it doesn't hurt that the running game has been so strong. All in all Johns has done an absolutely A+ job.
    Hagans is just a Redshirt-Freshman. Yesterday the announcers were relating some comments by Elko about Hagans being impressive in Spring and Summer camps, but now just coming on in the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    While Elko deserves credit- the key this year was the emergence of Leonard as a high level QB who likes the big moment and the emergence of Moore as a big time receiver. You cannot win without an above average QB and a playmaker can make something out of nothing. Duke also was able to have enough depth to manage the inevitable injuries. A great year but every year is different. One key injury and everything can change.
    Along the injury lines...I've been so grateful that Carter and Franklin have stayed healthy...they have been nothing less than phenomenal at DT, with little backup...in the future we would benefit from some more experienced defensive ends to get us more of a pass rush...but Carter and Franklin have been sensational.

Hagans is just a Redshirt-Freshman. Yesterday the announcers were relating some comments by Elko about Hagans being impressive in Spring and Summer camps, but now just coming on in the regular season.
    Yet another reason why making a bowl, and getting the extra practice/game time, is crucial to improving.

This team is entertaining. They make you smile. Maybe Riley’s smile is contagious. Even the loses were so close you came away with great optimism. This year in every way was the exact opposite of the past few. This team was also young. Very few seniors and I assume some of those will get a Covid extra year. If Elko can use the excitement to get a few stud defensive guys you know he can coach them to be maybe our best defensive teams since Mr. Wallace Wade himself. Nothing but praise and excitement from me about Duke football.

One other comment is this team never laid an egg. We were up and prepared for EVERY game. And I don’t want to hear about Ga Tech. Even when playing our worst game we came back and should have won it. These guys are special!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    This team is entertaining. They make you smile. Maybe Riley’s smile is contagious. Even the loses were so close you came away with great optimism. This year in every way was the exact opposite of the past few. This team was also young. Very few seniors and I assume some of those will get a Covid extra year. If Elko can use the excitement to get a few stud defensive guys you know he can coach them to be maybe our best defensive teams since Mr. Wallace Wade himself. Nothing but praise and excitement from me about Duke football.

One other comment is this team never laid an egg. We were up and prepared for EVERY game. And I don’t want to hear about Ga Tech. Even when playing our worst game we came back and should have won it. These guys are special!
    100% agree ... what a great day in Wallace Wade yesterday ... and football is so much better in person than on TV (IMHO).
    Now we (fans etc) need to have some butts in the seats next year ... this group (team and coaches) have done and are doing their part, they deserve a whole bunch of support!

I'd say it's been a combination of a lot of things:

- Hagans and Moore were not a factor at WR last year, so I do think there is more talent at the position. Calhoun has definitely improved this year as well.

- QB making good reads and timely throws

- OL giving time for those WR to get open. Duke has allowed the fewest sacks in the ACC this year.

- The common denominator for all three units: better coaching and schemes. We need to do whatever it takes to keep Kevin Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    I'd say it's been a combination of a lot of things:

- Hagans and Moore were not a factor at WR last year, so I do think there is more talent at the position. Calhoun has definitely improved this year as well.

- QB making good reads and timely throws

- OL giving time for those WR to get open. Duke has allowed the fewest sacks in the ACC this year.

- The common denominator for all three units: better coaching and schemes. We need to do whatever it takes to keep Kevin Johns.
    Great points. I really like Hagans and Moore to continue to develop; we could probably use a tall possession type WR to complement them and more looks to TEs.

A little surprised that Duke allowed the fewest sacks in the ACC; the losses to Ga Tech and Pitt both seemed attributable to protection failures.

Is the O-line a rebuilding job? Grad student transfers would be welcome.