Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    How bout this for an idea: We start something called the Coach K Classic. Modeled after the Wooden Classic. November or December event every year. First year we invite just coaching tree teams to play in it - ASU, Northwestern, Howard. If there are two others we could even have it be a tripleheader. Future years wouldn't have to be coaching tree teams but just invite 3 or 5 solid teams to play at Cameron, maybe those coached by good friends of K for starters. Moving forward we could invite teams that would help our SOS and also give the invitees a chance to play in Cameron which most of them would otherwise never get.
    what about Dawkins-UCF... and Snyder/Brey-Atlanta Hawks...

edit" Amaker-Harvard too?

How bout this for an idea: We start something called the Coach K Classic.
    I approve of your Coach K Classic idea. It can be a quadruple-header:

Harvard (Tommy Amaker) vs. Pittsburgh (Jeff Capel)
    Central Florida (Johnny Dawkins) vs. Northwestern (Chris Collins)
    Howard (Kenny Blakeney) vs. Arizona State (Bobby Hurley)
    Niagara (Greg Paulus) vs. Duke (Jon Scheyer)

coachkclassic.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I approve of your Coach K Classic idea. It can be a quadruple-header:

Harvard (Tommy Amaker) vs. Pittsburgh (Jeff Capel)
    Central Florida (Johnny Dawkins) vs. Northwestern (Chris Collins)
    Howard (Kenny Blakeney) vs. Arizona State (Bobby Hurley)
    Niagara (Greg Paulus) vs. Duke (Jon Scheyer)

coachkclassic.jpg

Yup that's what I had in mind for Year One. I had thought maybe no to Pitt since they're in our league, but if we do it in a year that they're not already scheduled to come to Cameron, it would be fine.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It should be simply called The Klassic.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It should be simply called The Klassic.
    Brought to you by Vlasic.

Yup that's what I had in mind for Year One. I had thought maybe no to Pitt since they're in our league, but if we do it in a year that they're not already scheduled to come to Cameron, it would be fine.
    There are some "tournaments" out there that don't have a championship game. In fact, your idea lends itself very well to a "classic" (Vlassic Klassic?) format in which the teams come and play one game against the pre-selected opponent and then it's done. If it were to be done that way, i would think that Pitt would be welcomed every year (in which Capel is the coach) if they're not selected to play Duke.
    If the idea of the event is to pay homage to K, then it seems unnecessary to me for it to have a true tournament format in which a winner emerges undefeated. Just invite the teams and let them play a game, and let the coaches and their teams have a moment at the center of Coach K Court with K, take some pictures make some speeches and put a bow on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    There are some "tournaments" out there that don't have a championship game. In fact, your idea lends itself very well to a "classic" (Vlassic Klassic?) format in which the teams come and play one game against the pre-selected opponent and then it's done. If it were to be done that way, i would think that Pitt would be welcomed every year (in which Capel is the coach) if they're not selected to play Duke.
    If the idea of the event is to pay homage to K, then it seems unnecessary to me for it to have a true tournament format in which a winner emerges undefeated. Just invite the teams and let them play a game, and let the coaches and their teams have a moment at the center of Coach K Court with K, take some pictures make some speeches and put a bow on it.
    My thoughts exactly. We should do this !

My thoughts exactly. We should do this !
    There may not be enough of a financial payoff for Duke in this idea. There would probably have to be a roughly equitable form of revenue sharing with Pitt and the other K-protege led schools.

I'd like to see it though.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    There may not be enough of a financial payoff for Duke in this idea. There would probably have to be a roughly equitable form of revenue sharing with Pitt and the other K-protege led schools.

I'd like to see it though.
    Maybe sometimes people should/would/could do something because it's the right thing to do, or because it's fun, even if there isn't a financial payoff for doing so. What an idea, huh?

Maybe sometimes people should/would/could do something because it's the right thing to do, or because it's fun, even if there isn't a financial payoff for doing so. What an idea, huh?
    seems to me that the longer they wait, the less interesting this idea becomes to the general sporting public. I think Duke fans will eat it up, and schools with less TV exposure, like Harvard, Howard, and FGCU would probably be enthusiastic about it.
    Although having it in Cameron is the ideal location (Coach K Court), if there were enough interest from live, in-person ticketholding public, moving it to a larger venue might help generate enough revenue to make it feasible.

College Hoops Today: Cincinnati, Howard to start home-and-home series next season in Washington D.C.

Cincinnati and Howard will start a home-and-home series on Nov. 28th in Washington D.C., a source told College Hoops Today.

There will be a return game at Cincinnati during the 2024-25 season.
    Think of it as an extension of the Duke-Carolina rivalry, with Kenny Blakeney coaching Howard and Wes Miller at Cincinnati. Also good to see Howard getting a home game against a Power 5 conference opponent, now that the Bearcats are in the Big 12.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Some of us will always remember the Mount Olive Pickle Classic...