Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Northwestern tweeted a video of the school surprising Coach Collins with the announcement that he had won the Jim Phelan Award.

Much like Kyle Filipowski's Kyle Macy Award for Freshman of the Year, the Jim Phelan Award is awarded by collegeinsider.com. They spread the wealth with 17 different awards. The categories are not always clear. Here are some of them that may be of interest.

Hugh Durham Award (Mid-Major Coach of the Year): Amir Abdur-Rahim, Kennesaw State
    Kenneth Blakeney was one of 20 finalists for the Hugh Durham Award.

Joe B. Hall Award (Debut Coach of the Year): Keith Urgo, Fordham
    Jon Scheyer was one of 10 finalists for the Joe B. Hall Award.

Ben Jobe Award (Minority Head Coach of the Year): Jerry Stackhouse, Vanderbilt
    Kenneth Blakeney and Jeff Capel were among the 20 finalists for the Ben Jobe Award.

John McLendon Award (Collegiate Coach of the Year, All Divisions): Kenneth Blakeney, Howard

Jim Phelan Award (Division I Head Coach of the Year): Chris Collins, Northwestern
    Kenneth Blakeney and Jeff Capel were among the 20 finalists for the Jim Phelan Award.

Skip Prosser Award (Man of the Year): Pat Skerry, Towson
    Jon Scheyer was one of 20 finalists for the Skip Prosser Award.

Lefty Dreisell Award (Defensive Player of the Year): Caleb McConnell, Rutgers
    Dereck Lively II was one of 20 finalists for the Lefty Dreisell Award.

Lute Olson Award (Division I Player of the Year): Jaime Jaquez Jr, UCLA
    Kyle Filipowski was named to the 25-member Lute Olson All-America Team.
    Reads like a JD Power award lineup!

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Northwestern tweeted a video of the school surprising Coach Collins with the announcement that he had won the Jim Phelan Award.

Much like Kyle Filipowski's Kyle Macy Award for Freshman of the Year, the Jim Phelan Award is awarded by collegeinsider.com. They spread the wealth with 17 different awards. The categories are not always clear. Here are some of them that may be of interest.

Hugh Durham Award (Mid-Major Coach of the Year): Amir Abdur-Rahim, Kennesaw State
    Kenneth Blakeney was one of 20 finalists for the Hugh Durham Award.

Joe B. Hall Award (Debut Coach of the Year): Keith Urgo, Fordham
    Jon Scheyer was one of 10 finalists for the Joe B. Hall Award.

Ben Jobe Award (Minority Head Coach of the Year): Jerry Stackhouse, Vanderbilt
    Kenneth Blakeney and Jeff Capel were among the 20 finalists for the Ben Jobe Award.

John McLendon Award (Collegiate Coach of the Year, All Divisions): Kenneth Blakeney, Howard

Jim Phelan Award (Division I Head Coach of the Year): Chris Collins, Northwestern
    Kenneth Blakeney and Jeff Capel were among the 20 finalists for the Jim Phelan Award.

Skip Prosser Award (Man of the Year): Pat Skerry, Towson
    Jon Scheyer was one of 20 finalists for the Skip Prosser Award.

Lefty Dreisell Award (Defensive Player of the Year): Caleb McConnell, Rutgers
    Dereck Lively II was one of 20 finalists for the Lefty Dreisell Award.

Lute Olson Award (Division I Player of the Year): Jaime Jaquez Jr, UCLA
    Kyle Filipowski was named to the 25-member Lute Olson All-America Team.
    Thanks for the list, must spread sporks.

It's nice to see KB get so much recognition. Very well deserved!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Looks like a 3 year extension for Chris Collins at NW. Well deserved.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...b8374382&ei=51

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Looks like a 3 year extension for Chris Collins at NW. Well deserved.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...b8374382&ei=51
    It's official now. Chris Collins was under contract through the 2024-2025 season until this extension was announced.

Northwestern: Northwestern’s Chris Collins Signs Contract Extension Through 2028

"It has been an honor to be the Head Coach at Northwestern University for the last 10 years. The Northwestern community has become our family's home, and I couldn't be more excited to continue this journey," said Collins.
    The only coach in the program's 118-year history to take the Wildcats to the NCAA Tournament, Collins' 2022-23 team recorded the most Big Ten Conference wins in a single-season in program history and the second-most total wins in a season by going 22-12 overall and 12-8 in conference play. For the first time since 1958-59, Northwestern earned a second-place finish in the Big Ten. Northwestern defeated the nation's No. 1 team for the first time in school history by downing Purdue 64-58 on Sunday, Feb. 12 inside Welsh-Ryan Arena. The arena was sold out a record four times in a season for the first time since Welsh-Ryan underwent a massive facelift in 2018. The 'Cats four wins on the year over ranked competition was also a program record.
    Collins is the fourth-longest tenured active coach in the Big Ten.
    That sounds like a trivia question. Chris Collins started as head coach at Northwestern in the fall of 2013, and has been there for 10 seasons. Name the three active Big Ten men's basketball head coaches who have been at their jobs for even longer. (I think two of these are easy, and correctly guessed the third.)

Izzo and Painter are easy, at least for me. The third, though . . .

It's official now. Chris Collins was under contract through the 2024-2025 season until this extension was announced.

Northwestern: Northwestern’s Chris Collins Signs Contract Extension Through 2028

That sounds like a trivia question. Chris Collins started as head coach at Northwestern in the fall of 2013, and has been there for 10 seasons. Name the three active Big Ten men's basketball head coaches who have been at their jobs for even longer. (I think two of these are easy, and correctly guessed the third.)
    Nice question! That was surprising (that Collins has been there for 10 years and is the 4th most senior conference coach) and I only think 1 of the other senior coaches was that obvious (I figured he was senior to Collins but didn’t think that Painter had been the head man at his alma mater since 2005, I also can’t believe that 2005 was 18 years ago, I am getting old!).

Great question. I went through the league and figured it out and I agree that the third (or at least the one I consider the third) was tough. That school has pretty incredible longevity between its football and basketball coaches. I looked up their women's basketball coach and she has also been there a long time. Then I went to her Wiki page and at least when I checked someone had hijacked the picture with someone who very clearly is not a 62 year old woman...

Okay

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Great question. I went through the league and figured it out and I agree that the third (or at least the one I consider the third) was tough. That school has pretty incredible longevity between its football and basketball coaches. I looked up their women's basketball coach and she has also been there a long time. Then I went to her Wiki page and at least when I checked someone had hijacked the picture with someone who very clearly is not a 62 year old woman...
    Must be McCaffrey, based on your description.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Izzo and Painter are easy, at least for me. The third, though . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Must be McCaffrey, based on your description.
    There we go. Tom Izzo has been head coach of Michigan State since fall 1995, a full ten years before Matt Painter started as head coach of Purdue in fall 2005. Five years after that, in fall 2010, Fran McCaffery was head coach at Iowa.

I knew Izzo and Painter immediately, and first thought of that guy at Nebraska, but couldn't get further than "that guy at Nebraska" before switching to McCaffery. (For the record, I was thinking of Tim Miles, who coached from 2012-2019 and was succeeded by Fred Hoiberg.)

Collins is the fourth-longest tenured active coach in the Big Ten.
    Interestingly, Chris Collins will move into a tie for fourth place when/if Andy Enfield of USC, who also started in fall 2013, joins the Big Ten in 2024.
    Last edited by brevity; 05-03-2023 at 07:27 PM.

Northwestern's best player Boo Buie announces he will return for his Covid year and remain in Evanston. I don't know if Chris can repeat the magic of last year's run as a top tier Big Ten contender, but this is a big step toward having a chance at that.

https://twitter.com/booboo_buie/stat...88853518934016
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I guess this goes here...

The Toronto Raptors coaching season has them looking into JJ Redick!
    https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/st...97358395600896

Didn't see that one coming.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Any news on what or how Nate James is doing? Haven't seen anything in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I guess this goes here...

The Toronto Raptors coaching season has them looking into JJ Redick!
    https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/st...97358395600896

Didn't see that one coming.
    ESPN has a little more information on JJ interviewing for the Raptors gig. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ob-sources-say

Apparently, numerous teams also have expressed interest in JJ as an assistant, including the Celtics.

Coach JJ?

Wouldn’t surprise me at all

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37596139/jj-redick-interviews-raptors-coaching-job-sources-say

I'm not sure where to post this, but i just saw on the ESPN ticker that JJ interviewed for the Raptors' HC vacancy.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    He'd be excellent at it. I did see the clip recently where he talked about getting tossed by the ref as he was coaching his 10 year old(?) son's team.

Redick was part of a first round of interviews and met with franchise leadership in Toronto recently, sources said. He had been a target for several teams, including the Boston Celtics, as an assistant coach since retiring as a player in 2021.

So it sounds like JJ might be holding out for a head coaching job, or he'll just stick with broadcasting. I don't blame him.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

One thing that I remember from back in the day. Magic Johnson coached the Lakers for a bit. He got frustrated that the players didn't work as hard as the way that he did. The players didn't do the things in the game that he would do. So he was massively frustrated. I think Larry Bird was also somewhat frustrated when he coached the Pacers... but he knew when he went in that he was doing it for only 3 years. I remember him saying that players "tune out the coach after 3 years or so". I don't recall Michael Jordan coaching, but I somewhat recall that he was also frustrated that players didn't work as hard as he did... so probably wouldn't be able to be a good coach.

Somehow, with JJ's work ethic, strict workout schedule, intensity, etc... seems to me that he would also have a hard time coaching players that "didn't do it the way that he did it with his intensity and focus and etc". <just my 2 cents> Who knows (especially me)... he may end up being a great coach.

Until we make a 2023-2024 thread...

College Hoops Today: Arizona State, Northwestern to play at Footprint Center in Phoenix on Dec. 20th as part of doubleheader

There will be a return game between the two programs at the United Center during the 2024-25 season.
    Arizona will play Alabama in the other game of the doubleheader.
    Bobby Hurley vs. Chris Collins. (Also Tommy Lloyd vs. that other former Buffalo coach.) A preview doubleheader in Phoenix, with a much bigger doubleheader scheduled later in the season. No official details yet, but a nice TV appetizer for the holidays and bowl games.

How bout this for an idea: We start something called the Coach K Classic. Modeled after the Wooden Classic. November or December event every year. First year we invite just coaching tree teams to play in it - ASU, Northwestern, Howard. If there are two others we could even have it be a tripleheader. Future years wouldn't have to be coaching tree teams but just invite 3 or 5 solid teams to play at Cameron, maybe those coached by good friends of K for starters. Moving forward we could invite teams that would help our SOS and also give the invitees a chance to play in Cameron which most of them would otherwise never get.