Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Any chance Tommy might be on that list? Not sure he’d be interested, but he’s from the DC area.
    If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.

Northwestern just beat Rutgers 63-53 at Rutgers. Chris Collins' team wraps up the regular season at 21-10, with 12 wins (12-8) in the BIG. Half of those 12 wins were on the road! They secured the SECOND seed at the BIG tourney this week in Chicago. Chris also certainly wraps up BIG Coach of the Year, after NW being picked 14th in the preseason. Congrats to Chris on a great season!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Keep an eye on the MEAC tourney this week. Kenny Blakeney has Howard (19-12) in 1st place in the conference, taking the regular season title for the first time since 1987. To go dancing though, they'll need to win their tourney.

Go Bison Go!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Northwestern just beat Rutgers 63-53 at Rutgers. Chris Collins' team wraps up the regular season at 21-10, with 12 wins (12-8) in the BIG. Half of those 12 wins were on the road! They secured the SECOND seed at the BIG tourney this week in Chicago. Chris also certainly wraps up BIG Coach of the Year, after NW being picked 14th in the preseason. Congrats to Chris on a great season!
    Imagine if they had managed to keep Ryan Young and Pete Nance this year!

Collins

Chris named B1G coach of the year: https://nusports.com/news/2023/3/7/2...ll-awards.aspx

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    If Jon hadn't been so nice, we could have had the trifecta.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If Jon hadn't been so nice, we could have had the trifecta.
    We got the trifecta - except a different one. Kenny Blakeney was named MEAC Coach of the Year, leading Howard to its first outright MEAC championship since 1987 and its second most program wins in a season since Howard turned D1 in 1981. Blake took a program in just three years that was 4-29, 1-15 in his first year to 19-12, 11-3 this year.

https://twitter.com/HUMensBB/status/...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

And by the way, on Chris Collins, the BIG coaches and media vote separately. He won COY from both groups.

So Capel, Collins and Blakeney is your Coaching Tree Trifecta in 2022-23. Jon will have his in short order.
    Last edited by Hartford Dukie; 03-07-2023 at 11:34 PM.

COY is less important than a new contract with NU, which I hope will be forthcoming.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    COY is less important than a new contract with NU, which I hope will be forthcoming.
    NU has stated that Collins will be getting an extension.
    Northwestern plans to reward Chris Collins with a contract extension at the conclusion of the season, Northwestern AD Derrick Gragg exclusively told College Hoops Today on Monday.

“I’m extremely proud of him” Gragg told College Hoops Today on Monday morning regarding Collins. “We obviously want Coach Collins to be our head coach for as long as we can possibly keep him. Chris is a guy that you want to root for.”
    https://collegehoopstoday.com/index...act-extension/

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    NU has stated that Collins will be getting an extension.

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index...act-extension/
    As the only coach ever to take NU to the NCAAT (now for a second time), it's well-deserved. A tough place to coach, and excited for him to do well in his hometown.

I'm pleased for Collins as well, and I think he deserves COY *and* the extension. However, I will say that there is a fair amount of wariness around Evanston about whether this success is sustainable. We can only hope he learned lessons from the aftermath of the 2017 run to the tournament, when the wheels feel off again almost immediately. Moreover, a great deal of the improvement in this year's team -- on defense in particular -- has been attributed to the Assistant Coach he hired this year, Chris Lowery. If Lowery is hired away in the near future, we will see what happens then.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Duke View Post
    I'm pleased for Collins as well, and I think he deserves COY *and* the extension. However, I will say that there is a fair amount of wariness around Evanston about whether this success is sustainable. We can only hope he learned lessons from the aftermath of the 2017 run to the tournament, when the wheels feel off again almost immediately. Moreover, a great deal of the improvement in this year's team -- on defense in particular -- has been attributed to the Assistant Coach he hired this year, Chris Lowery. If Lowery is hired away in the near future, we will see what happens then.
    Any chance than any of Boo Buie, Chase Audige, or Robbie Beran, all of whom are 4-year seniors, use their covid-5th year? Believe all had their senior nights - but that hasn't prevented other "seniors" from deciding to come back. Maybe Buie and Audige understandably think this is the high to go out on.

Any chance than any of Boo Buie, Chase Audige, or Robbie Beran, all of whom are 4-year seniors, use their covid-5th year? Believe all had their senior nights - but that hasn't prevented other "seniors" from deciding to come back. Maybe Buie and Audige understandably think this is the high to go out on.
    Kellogg doesn’t have a one-year program comparable to Fuqua’s MMS, which has proven to be a huge advantage to Duke in attracting grad transfers in all sports.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Kellogg doesn’t have a one-year program comparable to Fuqua’s MMS, which has proven to be a huge advantage to Duke in attracting grad transfers in all sports.
    Helps that Coach K has a position at Fuqua, maybe? There's the Fuqua/Coach K Center on Leadership (COLE). Plus, he's Professor of the Practice of Leadership there.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Jon Scheyer and Duke won Friday in Greensboro, but elsewhere, it was not a good day for the coaching tree.

Big Ten quarterfinal: Chris Collins and 2-seed Northwestern lost to 10-seed Penn State 67-65 OT.

Pac-12 semifinal: Bobby Hurley and 6-seed Arizona State lost to 2-seed Arizona 78-59.

AAC quarterfinal: Johnny Dawkins and 7-seed UCF lost to 2-seed Memphis 81-76.

MAAC semifinal: Greg Paulus and 5-seed Niagara lost to Rick Pitino and 1-seed Iona 71-59.

The good news is that Kenny Blakeney and Howard, the 1-seed in the MEAC, won their semifinal against 4-seed Maryland Eastern Shore 74-55. They face 3-seed Norfolk State in the final, though the tournament is in Norfolk.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Kenny Blakeney and Howard, the 1-seed in the MEAC, won their semifinal against 4-seed Maryland Eastern Shore 74-55. They face 3-seed Norfolk State in the final, though the tournament is in Norfolk.
    Whew, I would really love to see Georgetown take a look at Kenny. He's done a fabulous job at Howard and is ready for a bump up. If they make the tourney it will be as a #16 seed, and somewhat likely to be in a play-in game, but wouldn't it be fun to see them put a scare in someone... perhaps Alabama!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Whew, I would really love to see Georgetown take a look at Kenny. He's done a fabulous job at Howard and is ready for a bump up. If they make the tourney it will be as a #16 seed, and somewhat likely to be in a play-in game, but wouldn't it be fun to see them put a scare in someone... perhaps Alabama!
    And just moments ago, the Howard Bison won the MEAC title to punch their ticket to the dance! Congrats to Kenny and his players!!!

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The good news is that Kenny Blakeney and Howard, the 1-seed in the MEAC, won their semifinal against 4-seed Maryland Eastern Shore 74-55. They face 3-seed Norfolk State in the final, though the tournament is in Norfolk.
    The home floor and home crowd helped keep the game close, but Kenny Blakeney and Howard win the MEAC title over Norfolk State, 65-64. He and assistant coach Tyler Thornton are the first from the coaching tree to officially make the 2023 NCAA Tournament. This is Howard's third ever NCAA Tournament appearance; their last was in 1992, when Blakeney was a Duke freshman.

The Bison got some late game heroics from a player named Marcus Dockery, who hit a timely 3-pointer when his team was down by 4. He's a DC native who played at Maryland for two seasons before transferring to Howard. I can't tell if he's related to Sean Dockery -- the Howard player bio is empty, and his Maryland player bios say nothing about his family. (I'm reminded that Matt Filipowski's Harvard bio says nothing about his twin brother Kyle, so it wouldn't surprise me if Maryland failed to mention a Duke connection.)

Or, you know, it's a remarkable coincidence.

Is this a record year for the coaching tree?

#1 Jon
    #2 Chris Collins
    #3 Kenny Blakeney
    #4 Jeff Capel
    #5 Bobby Hurley

Let me add that several jobs were saved this year, to the coaches credit.

Here's the celebration at Hurley's House!

https://twitter.com/SunDevilHoops/st...%2F%3Fpage%3D3