Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    May he can be to Northwestern what K has been to Duke?
    That was definitely a driver behind the hire. Can NU take a Coach K disciple and replicate that model and success with a similar profile (at an elite academic institution in a P5 conference)? Short on tradition but in a traditionally good talent pool in Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Cats are definitely going dancing and Chris Collins is making a very strong argument for one of the most successful Coach K protégés not named Mike Brey. Might be Amaker, Capel, and Collins in that order right now.
    What about Quin Snyder?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    What about Quin Snyder?
    If I were a Leprechaun fan, I'd not want anyone from "the tree". I want a proven up and comer (Collins is not that, even though he's having a really good year), and I'd want it to be a fresh face. Either someone who has done a really good recent job at a non P5 school, or a very respectable assistant.
    And after years of solid but never stellar years from Brey, I'd not want anyone associated with Duke.
    Make me excited. Another Dukie won't do that.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If I were a Leprechaun fan, I'd not want anyone from "the tree". I want a proven up and comer (Collins is not that, even though he's having a really good year), and I'd want it to be a fresh face. Either someone who has done a really good recent job at a non P5 school, or a very respectable assistant.
    And after years of solid but never stellar years from Brey, I'd not want anyone associated with Duke.
    I think the post bringing up Quin was referring to whether Quin should be considered one of the Duke coaching tree's best coaches, not whether ND would want him.

Wink

How about K out of retirement to ND with return to home.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I think the post bringing up Quin was referring to whether Quin should be considered one of the Duke coaching tree's best coaches, not whether ND would want him.
    Looking back, yes you are right, and it's hard to argue against that question. He's the only one that has found success at the game's highest level. (And I love the humble path that he took to get there.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Looking back, yes you are right, and it's hard to argue against that question. He's the only one that has found success at the game's highest level. (And I love the humble path that he took to get there.)
    Quin lined up his career path nicely.
    Carolina delenda est

Just to bring in some other Coaching Tree names:
    Nate James at Austin Peay, as brought up in a thread dedicated to him, is 8-20 at AP, in a new conference for the second strait year. I don't know if this affects the team in any way, but apparently the cheerleading squad got itself suspended.
    Bobby Hurley at Az. St. U. has the Sun Devils (Diablos del Sol, which has a nice ring to it...) at 18-9 and 5th place in the PAC. They've lost to the #5 ranked team twice this year, 1st it was rival Arizona and then UCLA. They lost to TSU early in the year, and don't have any other terrible losses. They're looking like a stong contender for NCAAT entrant.
    The Harvard Amicable Ammakers check in at 13-12 and 7th in the Ivy League.
    Central Florida and the Johnny Dawkins Dunkers are 15-10 and 7th in the AAC.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...watchlist-2-23

Glad to see others are noticing both Collins and Capel. Would love to see one of the 94 Final Four teammates win National Coach of the Year honors 28 years later.

Bobby Hurley's ASU Diablos del Sol took down #7 Arizona (also took them down when they were #5) on a thrilling buzzer beater! barring some sort of epic collapse to finish the season, it looks like ASU is gonna dance!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eLbovVGu2M

Bobby Hurley's ASU Diablos del Sol took down #7 Arizona (also took them down when they were #5) on a thrilling buzzer beater! barring some sort of epic collapse to finish the season, it looks like ASU is gonna dance!
    Arizona won the first meeting between the rivals.

My Louisville friends tell me that Rick Pitino is interested in the HC job at Georgetown and St. John's. I don't think he is Georgetown material but, who knows?

Has there been any talk of Mike Brey to Georgetown? He was a DeMatha guy and may still have recruiting contacts in the DMV. Maybe Brey is not interested in another Catholic, high academic school but inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Arizona won the first meeting between the rivals.
    derp. i got m'facts all discombobulated and catttywompus. Yes, ASU has lost to the then #5 team twice this year, AU and UCLA.

Quin Snyder agrees to five-year deal to become coach of the Hawks, will be on sideline Tuesday, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/q...ay-per-report/

Good luck, Quin!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    My Louisville friends tell me that Rick Pitino is interested in the HC job at Georgetown and St. John's. I don't think he is Georgetown material but, who knows?

Has there been any talk of Mike Brey to Georgetown? He was a DeMatha guy and may still have recruiting contacts in the DMV. Maybe Brey is not interested in another Catholic, high academic school but inquiring minds want to know.
    ESPN reported last week that both Brey and Pitino were names for the Hoya job. I think Brey would be a great fit, but Pitino's resume is better. Either choice would be a big improvement on Ewing... it would hard to be much worse.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    ESPN reported last week that both Brey and Pitino were names for the Hoya job. I think Brey would be a great fit, but Pitino's resume is better. Either choice would be a big improvement on Ewing... it would hard to be much worse.

9F
    Pitino's rap sheet is also longer.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Pitino's rap sheet is also longer.
    These days, I hardly think that matters... not that it shouldn't, but it doesn't.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

9F
    Any chance Tommy might be on that list? Not sure he’d be interested, but he’s from the DC area.

Well... I dunno about that.

Even after that huge win, ASU is 59th in the NET, not exactly prime at-large territory. They are 61st in KenPom and 71st in Torvik. The general consensus is that they are alongside UNC, Penn St, Texas Tech, Clemson, and Michigan as the teams just barely on the wrong side of the bubble at this point. But, ASU has 2 big, big chances this week to play their way in. They play at USC and UCLA, two of the best teams in the Pac 12. If the Sun Devils can win either of those, it really gives them a boost at the right time and I think they will likely be among the first four out. But, lose both and they will likely need a nice run -- maybe all the way to the Pac 12 finals -- to get a bid.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?