Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    There's no thread here dedicated to our indomitable, tough, skilled and affable freshman, Kyle Filipowski... and I think he deserves one of his own!

Filipowski has been named the ACC Rookie of the Week eight times so far:

Filipowski Named ACC Rookie of the Week
    https://goduke.com/news/2023/2/20/me...-the-week.aspx

DURHAM -- After averaging 18.0 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists while helping Duke to two wins last week, Kyle Filipowski has been named the ACC Rookie of the Week in men's basketball for the eighth time this season. He is the only freshman nationally -- and one of just nine power conference players overall -- averaging at least 15 points and nine rebounds this season. For the week, Filipowski was 14-of-27 (.519) from the field, 2-of-6 (.333) and a perfect 6-of-6 from the free throw.

Although failing to garner the CBS FOTW award even once, Filipowski is ranked third in the CBS Frosh Watch ratings...

Ranking college basketball's best freshmen: Kansas' Gradey Dick earns Freshman of the Week honors
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...e-week-honors/

3. Kyle Filipowski - DUKE C #30
    PPG 15.0 - RPG 9.1 - 3FG PCT 29.2%

After failing to score in a controversial overtime loss at Virginia on Feb. 11, Filipowski bounced back with a vengeance during three Duke victories over the past week. First, he finished with 22 points and six rebounds against Notre Dame, then posted 14 points and 11 boards in a win at Syracuse on Saturday. Finally, on Monday, the versatile 7-footer finished with 13 points and seven rebounds on efficient 5-of-7 shooting against Louisville. Some of Duke's other heralded freshmen have started improving as of late, but Filipowski remains a steady source of offense for the Blue Devils.
    Sorry, I inadvertently contributed to your post getting moved to this original thread. I was merely pointing out (in a post that got deleted, ha!) that a thread dedicated to Kyle did exist. I also humorously tried to point out that I think it faded because Flip being Flip was becoming old hat.
    That was literally months ago.
    Since then, Kyle Filipowski has become far more than the "recurring ROTW", he's become literally the MVP of this team. If he doesn't show up, even with his turnovers, Duke is in for a very rough night. That's pretty amazing for a freshman.
    Especially for one that when he was first signed, he was barely in the top 100. A four star. A good role player for Jon to get in search for the big names.

He's been both amazing and frustrating to watch, but that's something I enjoy in a freshman. Unfortunately for us, he's not going to be here next year like we would have assumed from signing day.

I agree, he deserves his own thread. And I'd say he's earned more respect since this original thread was started to still be called "Congrats to Flip".
    Your new thread did at least have his full last name. I like that.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

He's been both amazing and frustrating to watch, but that's something I enjoy in a freshman. Unfortunately for us, he's not going to be here next year like we would have assumed from signing day."

Not sure why you'd say this; I'd not assume this at all. I'm not sure he translates into a high NBA draft pick this early. Inconsistent outside shooting. Inconsistent scoring and rebounding on a daily basis. I'd question his ceiling, reminds me of a player from the cheats about ten years ago.

Until he develops a consistent 3-point shot he should stay at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    He's been both amazing and frustrating to watch, but that's something I enjoy in a freshman. Unfortunately for us, he's not going to be here next year like we would have assumed from signing day."

Not sure why you'd say this; I'd not assume this at all. I'm not sure he translates into a high NBA draft pick this early. Inconsistent outside shooting. Inconsistent scoring and rebounding on a daily basis. I'd question his ceiling, reminds me of a player from the cheats about ten years ago.

Until he develops a consistent 3-point shot he should stay at Duke.
    That’s wishful thinking. He’s a lot more Lauri Markanen or Paolo Banchero than Psycho Tbone. Surely he’s gone as a lottery pick, but you never know….

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Kyle wins again.
    Yawn.

Duke center Kyle Filipowski picked up the ACC Rookie of the Week award for the ninth time this season. Filipowski finishes with the fourth most Rookie of the Week laurels in ACC history, tying Duke’s Austin Rivers (2012) and just one off the league record, held by Georgia Tech’s Kenny Anderson (1990), North Carolina Tyler Hansbrough (2006) and Duke’s Jabari Parker (2014)
    https://theacc.com/news/2023/3/6/geo...ly-honors.aspx

It's pretty cool that Duke is so well represented.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Congrats, FLIP !!!!! you' deserved it
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Bacot made third team. Wong and Appleby join Flip on HM.

All teams and honorable mentions dominated by Seniors and Juniors. Brandon Miller and Flip were the only freshmen I saw upon quick review.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Bacot made third team. Wong and Appleby join Flip on HM.
    I forget the very complicated rules they have - what did Bacot need to do in order to be tier 1 honor rather than tier 2 honor? If I recall, I think he came up short of tier 1?

Sorry to hijack a thread celebrating Flip with this question about a Tar Heel!

Freshman of The Year!

Congrats. Again!

Kyle Filipowski named College Basketball Freshman of the Year
    Duke men's basketball forward Kyle Filipowski has been named the 2023 winner of the Kyle Macy Freshman of the Year Award, announced today by CollegeInsider.com. The award, presented annually to the top Division I freshman, is named for the guard who starred as a freshman for Purdue in 1975.
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...RIOEFkCpv5VBgc

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Freshman of The Year!

Congrats. Again!

Wow! I figured Brandon Miller had fled the scene with all available Freshman of the Year awards. Great work, Flip!

Congrats to Flip but not sure how Brandon Miller from Bama didn't win this award if we're being honest.

Freshman of The Year!

Congrats. Again!

A Kyle for Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Wow! I figured Brandon Miller had fled the scene with all available Freshman of the Year awards.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Congrats to Flip but not sure how Brandon Miller from Bama didn't win this award if we're being honest.
    First, congratulations to Kyle Filipowski. He had a great freshman season. I think there were a lot of good freshmen nationwide this year, and it's nice to see that he was not overlooked.

This award in particular has a short history (since 2012) and a small voting body (10 people). From the announcement:

The recipient of the annual award is determined by a 10-member voting committee, which consists of current and former head coaches, as well as two senior staff members of CollegeInsider.com.
    Awards criteria can vary, but some nebulous element of character could be factored in. I don't know much about Brandon Miller's actual character, but his circumstances and kid-glove handling by the University of Alabama haven't made his appearance of character a positive.

The SEC awarded Brandon Miller both Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year earlier this month. Last week Miller won the Wayman Tisdale Award as the Freshman of the Year from the U.S. Basketball Writers Association. The USBWA is more established (since 1956) with a larger membership (about 900), and has given this award since 1989.

Still, I wonder if Miller won't be the consensus freshman award winner that his numbers might dictate. There's no clear challenger, but someone from a group of guys including Kyle Filipowski (see below) who might be singled out instead for... reasons.

Conference Freshmen of the Year

ACC: Kyle Filipowski, Duke
    American: Jarace Walker, Houston
    Big East: Cam Whitmore, Villanova
    Big Ten: Jalen Hood-Schifino, Indiana
    Big XII: Keyonte George, Baylor
    Pac-12: Adem Bona, UCLA

Freshman of The Year!

Congrats. Again!

Interesting name for the award. First, I remembered Kyle Macy from his Kentucky days and didn't know (or had forgotten) that he first played at Purdue before transferring. Next, I see that he averaged 13.8 points and 3.3 assists per game as a freshman for a Purdue team that just went 16-11. He must have one heck of a press agent! Maybe, it should be renamed the Zion Award?

Anyway, congrats, Flip!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Interesting name for the award. First, I remembered Kyle Macy from his Kentucky days and didn't know (or had forgotten) that he first played at Purdue before transferring. Next, I see that he averaged 13.8 points and 3.3 assists per game as a freshman for a Purdue team that just went 16-11. He must have one heck of a press agent! Maybe, it should be renamed the Zion Award?

Anyway, congrats, Flip!
    Being hopelessly biased, I would have voted for Flip, unless I had the sense that a national college award would turn his head in the direction of the NBA.

That same organization bestowed the John McLendon award (national coach of the year) to our own Kenny Blakeney, and

the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year to our own Chris Collins

Without clarifying any differentiating factors for their national coaches of the year, they also awarded Ben Jobe National Coach of the Year to Jerry Stackhouse and the Joe B. Hall National Coach of the Year to Fordham's Keith Urgo (Jon Scheyer was a finalist for that award; Scheyer was also a finalist for their Man of the Year Award) ).

They also have a bunch of other awards... https://www.collegeinsider.com/awards/

Are extracurricular activities taken into account for this award?

Human voters, applying human values. Good!