Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by peteandpete View Post
    The scan showed marked improvement. And the next steps involve treatments with longer periods in between. More details later. We are relieved and remain hopeful. Thank you all.
    Thank you, very much, for your great news!

You’re a winner and winners win. The next scan will show even more improvement!

Great news!

The scan showed marked improvement. And the next steps involve treatments with longer periods in between. More details later. We are relieved and remain hopeful. Thank you all.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your updates. Gives me a glimpse into the treatments that are available... I've fortunately have not needed to experience it with anyone close to me. BEST WISHES!!!!

We're all cheering for you! Keep up the healing!

You asked, so...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your updates. Gives me a glimpse into the treatments that are available... I've fortunately have not needed to experience it with anyone close to me. BEST WISHES!!!!
    Well, each case is different so I can only tell you what I have experienced. The urologist started things off with hormone treatment to lower testosterone in order to shut off the fuel to the cancer cells. Once we got to oncology before chemo started, an oral regimen with abiraterone (generic zytiga) and prednisone. Also some supplements: vitamin D, pro-biotic, and osyter shell calcium. I don't have my chemo cocktail in front of me (every three weeks for 6 visits) and one claritin once a day for 7 days after chemo. Hormone treatment continues and after chemo I have onpro attached to my arm for 27-8 hours to deliver some other needed item. As I said, there are numerous other treatments and variations and massive research underway. My situation was unfortunate in that a prostate infection masked the more nefarious other situation and the first attempt at removing some tissue for a biopsy didn't provide proof even though we knew what was happening them because of a scan. If we had caught this before it had spread, I probably would have been treated with proton therapy to kill it off in the prostate. The next step may be a radioactive infusion finally available and covered in the US - Lu 177. Sadly, so many people are in the infusion room each time we go. We must continue to fund the research to end this scourge. Thank you for asking and don't be afraid to go for a biopsy for slightly elevated PSA readings. It might show nothing; however, it might allow you to catch it early. Be especially vigilant if there is family history.

Well, each case is different so I can only tell you what I have experienced. The urologist started things off with hormone treatment to lower testosterone in order to shut off the fuel to the cancer cells. Once we got to oncology before chemo started, an oral regimen with abiraterone (generic zytiga) and prednisone. Also some supplements: vitamin D, pro-biotic, and osyter shell calcium. I don't have my chemo cocktail in front of me (every three weeks for 6 visits) and one claritin once a day for 7 days after chemo. Hormone treatment continues and after chemo I have onpro attached to my arm for 27-8 hours to deliver some other needed item. As I said, there are numerous other treatments and variations and massive research underway. My situation was unfortunate in that a prostate infection masked the more nefarious other situation and the first attempt at removing some tissue for a biopsy didn't provide proof even though we knew what was happening them because of a scan. If we had caught this before it had spread, I probably would have been treated with proton therapy to kill it off in the prostate. The next step may be a radioactive infusion finally available and covered in the US - Lu 177. Sadly, so many people are in the infusion room each time we go. We must continue to fund the research to end this scourge. Thank you for asking and don't be afraid to go for a biopsy for slightly elevated PSA readings. It might show nothing; however, it might allow you to catch it early. Be especially vigilant if there is family history.
    WOW… Thanks for the details. I really wasn’t asking for more details… what you have been describing before your post above was already much more than I was familiar with. I appreciate your time to keep us posted and especially the details. I, along with all of us, are pulling for you. Stay positive… you WILL get through this!!!

Update

So tired this time (and so is my tummy). Had my spirits lifted with another visit from a former student/athlete (he is now the History Dept. Head at WCU...sometimes they succeed in spite of us...lol). He is one of those who made my life better and made me a better person. Grateful for the road win to finish the season. I also got a lift from my old high school's girls basketball team winning the SC AAA state championship. Go Dogs! Hoping I will feel much better as my birthday approaches during the first week in April. Maybe the Blue Devils will continue their run and make it a great one. As always, thanks to everyone here.

Well now

I seem to be feeling so much better. Trying to figure out why. Oh yeah....WAY TO GO BLUE DEVILS!!!

I seem to be feeling so much better. Trying to figure out why. Oh yeah...WAY TO GO BLUE DEVILS!!!
    Hope they keep winning so you can keep having your spirits lifted.

I seem to be feeling so much better. Trying to figure out why. Oh yeah...WAY TO GO BLUE DEVILS!!!
    Just like you, winners win!

Rock and Roll, brother. Rock and Roll.

Update

Feels weird to be almost four weeks from a chemo treatment. Feeling pretty good. Blood work and doctor visit next week near my birthday. My wife's family has scheduled a celebration/remembrance gathering for my mother-in-law. Grateful for the different officiating crew in the FAU/Tennessee game. That big guy for the Vols should be suspended and the NCAA needs to clean up the game. Enjoying the warm weather in upstate SC today. The hummingbirds (and others) should be back any day. Thanks to everyone for your kindness during this journey. One last random thought...why didn't they put the results of the ACC Championship game on the front of the t-shirt at the Duke store?

Thanks for the update. Prayers for continued regaining of your strength.

Glad to hear the positive report!

Please keep on bringing us more and more good news!

Catching up on this. Sounding great PnP!

Latest Update

Well, I managed to make it to another birthday. Wasn't sure a few months ago. Saw the PA yesterday and the blood work continues to be good. Next treatment is at the end of May. Keep the good thoughts coming. You wonderful people have made a difference and helped me to be strong and keep fighting. Thanks. Love you guys. Let's Go Duke!

Well, I managed to make it to another birthday. Wasn't sure a few months ago. Saw the PA yesterday and the blood work continues to be good. Next treatment is at the end of May. Keep the good thoughts coming. You wonderful people have made a difference and helped me to be strong and keep fighting. Thanks. Love you guys. Let's Go Duke!
    Happy Birthday! Another one is right around your corner!

Happy birthday! Wishing you a day filled with joy and unexpected blessings!

Keep getting better

As if Flip's news wasn't enough, my sons got Christian Laettner to send me a video message this morning. He thanked me for being a big Duke fan, encouraged me to keep fighting, thanked me for being a teacher (he said his Mom taught for 30 years so he understood what it takes), and finished with a BIG GO DUKE!! I was moved to tears. I am so lucky. I guess I need to start hearing from those Blue Devils from my youth now...the Bubas years. I also got a message from Randy Cuthbert awhile back as a result of my middle son's podcast, Bull City Coordinators. Add my free Firehouse birthday sub and it's been a good birthday week.