Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Any hard-core jazz and/or classical music fans?

Just curious. Anyone a jazz and/or classical music nuts out there?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    Both of 'em for sure.
    Love, Ima

Yes (classical, not jazz).

Where's Throatybeard?

I got pretty into jazz through years of playing the sax. I may not be a "hardcore" jazz fan, but I'm pretty into it. Classical music too, but probably to a lesser extent.

I like both. John Coltrane and Bach Rock (so to speak ).

Oh I didn't even mention my favorite artist. I'm WAAAAAY into Kenny G. Don't you guys just love his stuff?

heh just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Oh I didn't even mention my favorite artist. I'm WAAAAAY into Kenny G. Don't you guys just love his stuff?
    Don't you think he plays a little too tall?

Love both classical music and jazz. There are many musicians past and present who are my favorites, but among current day musicians, you can't beat the Marsalis family for being outstanding at playing classical and jazz.

FWIW, I am Board President of the Queens Symphony Orchestra, an excellent regional orchestra, now in our 56th year!

Anyone in the NYC area, just PM me and you'll be my guest at a concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Love both classical music and jazz. There are many musicians past and present who are my favorites, but among current day musicians, you can't beat the Marsalis family for being outstanding at playing classical and jazz.
    Agreed. I'm a huge Branford Marsalis fan (actually caught him at a basketball game a couple years ago). I have most of his albums. I love the one he did with his dad, Ellis, Loved Ones.

And speaking of classical, Branford has two "classical" albums, Romances for Saxophone and Creation, both excellent.

This weeks Newsweek magazine has a nice article on Miles Davis' album Kind of Blue. It was recorded fifty years ago next month and had been continuously in print since.

It is available on line (the article, not the album). http://www.newsweek.com/id/182528

I really need to pick up Branford's Braggtown, recorded right here in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Agreed. I'm a huge Branford Marsalis fan (actually caught him at a basketball game a couple years ago). I have most of his albums. I love the one he did with his dad, Ellis, Loved Ones.

And speaking of classical, Branford has two "classical" albums, Romances for Saxophone and Creation, both excellent.
    Actually I was thinking more of Wynton and Ellis. Wynton's skill and tone quality are unique... I think it's called chromatic tone or something like that. He can produce tones that are so exquisitely clear and pure. He's equally good at classical and jazz.

Had the privilege several times to see Ellis perform at Snug Harbor before he retired from the university.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Actually I was thinking more of Wynton and Ellis. Wynton's skill and tone quality are unique... I think it's called chromatic tone or something like that. He can produce tones that are so exquisitely clear and pure. He's equally good at classical and jazz.

Had the privilege several times to see Ellis perform at Snug Harbor before he retired from the university.
    Yes, I figured you were probably talking about Wynton - he certainly is the most famous of the family. As a saxophonist and Durham resident, I have a special love for Branford. If you haven't heard Branford's classical stuff, give it a try. On some of the tracks, you'd hardly know he was playing a soprano sax and not an oboe.

Oh another group that's just phenomenal - the San Fransisco Saxophone Quartet. These guys make beautiful music.

So what kind of "classical" do you guys listen to? My collection is mostly Beethoven (his symphonies and piano sonatas), Faure, Debussy and some Holst.

New people out there

Great to hear from other classical and jazz fans!

I am photographer for the Brevard Music Center here in Brevard (having been a student there as a child, now retired here). You should drop in during the summer months and take in a few of our concerts (they are terrific!). Last summer we had Yo Yo Ma (great guy by the way) and the year before, Andre Watts (an old friend). Yes, I'm name dropping, but I do get to meet these guys up close and personal. One of the perks of being photographer!

On the jazz front, I would like to recommend a few of new artists.

On the piano scene: Taylor Eigsti and also Eldar (both are up and coming)
    Older ones: Fred Hersch, Alan Pasqua, and Alan
    Broadbent (all three have not received their due).

As for classical: I particularly like Prokofiev, especially his 1st and 3rd piano
    concertos

Any new artists to recommend?

Classical music yes, jazz not so much. Though I do like the Samba type stuff that came out of Brazil.

On the Jazz front, do you like it cool or hot?

I love it all. I played violin from 8 - 13, switched to the bass guitar. I played bass in the high school jazz band. Where is that nerd emoticon?