Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by peteandpete View Post
    Thanks for asking, Jeffrey. The fatigue is truly overwhelming when it hits and stays for several days. Back to the morning dog walks and may try a light work out again starting today. The NCS game wasn't much fun; however, I'm glad we managed to do more good than bad against BC. Trying to keep myself mentally strong as the time between treatments seems to go faster. How are you doing? I hope all who continue to check in on me are well. Let's Go Duke!
    Very sorry to hear you’re experiencing extreme fatigue! Is it because you’re receiving the largest dosage they will administer? How many more treatments are you scheduled to receive?

Strongly agree, the NCST game was very hard to watch! However, the first half of the BC game was fun. We’re starting to see Dariq Whitehead play ball.

Thanks, all is well. After you get better, I’ll be even better!

Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Very sorry to hear you’re experiencing extreme fatigue! Is it because you’re receiving the largest dosage they will administer? How many more treatments are you scheduled to receive?

Strongly agree, the NCST game was very hard to watch! However, the first half of the BC game was fun. We’re starting to see Dariq Whitehead play ball.

Thanks, all is well. After you get better, I’ll be even better!
    Three more to go for a total of six...they are three weeks apart. Hope I will have some hair left...lol.

Three more to go for a total of six...they are three weeks apart. Hope I will have some hair left...lol.
    I was surprised to hear that the hair does grow back once the treatment ends... so look forward to that

Financial shock

As I refilled my two oral medications, this week, I was informed that the cost of one had increased from a $7 co-pay to $77 for a 30 day supply....a two tier jump. Worries like this are not the kind of thing a person with a serious health challenge should have to face. One wonders how much worse things like this could get if the House could get their way with Medicare, SS, and Medicaid. The resulting premium increases for supplemental insurance would be dramatic as well. Oh well, nice work in the second half last night Blue Devils. Unfortunately, with my current focus, I have not made plans to attend the game Saturday (we live just a few miles away). Let's Go Duke!

As I refilled my two oral medications, this week, I was informed that the cost of one had increased from a $7 co-pay to $77 for a 30 day supply...a two tier jump. Worries like this are not the kind of thing a person with a serious health challenge should have to face. One wonders how much worse things like this could get if the House could get their way with Medicare, SS, and Medicaid. The resulting premium increases for supplemental insurance would be dramatic as well. Oh well, nice work in the second half last night Blue Devils. Unfortunately, with my current focus, I have not made plans to attend the game Saturday (we live just a few miles away). Let's Go Duke!
    I’m very sorry to hear about the huge price increase! You’re right, you don’t need extra stress during your battle. Do you know how many months you’ll need to take that medicine?

Update

Well, Chemo #4 is tomorrow. So by Friday, I might be too tired for a lengthy update. The Clemson game didn't help. Tried to catch the team at the hotel in order to thank Coach S. personally for the encouragement video. Unfortunately, I missed them. Miami will be a challenge Saturday. Number two son should roll in from Roanoke the following weekend, which will be nice. (Plug: He is the Bull City Coordinators guy, about Duke football.) God, I hope the vein is easier to find this time. That was not much fun and fortunately, has never been a problem before. Thanks again for all the good thoughts and prayers. I am so grateful for this group's support. There is no way to adequately express this. Let's Go Duke!

Prayers your way. You got this.

Prayers heading your way. Like OPK said, you got this.

Stay as hydrated as possible before you go in Friday. That should help with finding the vein. *

* mind you, I'm an accountant and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Just something I recall learning in the past. The Google confirms this.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Prayers heading your way. Like OPK said, you got this.

Stay as hydrated as possible before you go in Friday. That should help with finding the vein. *

* mind you, I'm an accountant and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Just something I recall learning in the past. The Google confirms this.
    Thank you, I have heard that, too...and I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn lately, either.

Post-treatment

Well, the needle went in on the first try...whew. Wearing the onpro device on my arm to limit the WBC decrease after treatment. Took the imodium sooner this time and it helped. The hormones I receive keep me from enjoying a rather important aspect of life, unfortunately. The steroids from yesterday have kept me awake most of the night. Hopefully, the fatigue won't hit until tomorrow. The hair loss is saving money on haircuts and shaving...lol. I also have an even greater respect for the effects of menopause as I have hot flashes occasionally. Thanks again to everyone for your support. Let's go Duke! We can never beat Miami enough to make up for the thing that can't be mentioned. Love you guys!

Well, the needle went in on the first try...whew. Wearing the onpro device on my arm to limit the WBC decrease after treatment. Took the imodium sooner this time and it helped. The hormones I receive keep me from enjoying a rather important aspect of life, unfortunately. The steroids from yesterday have kept me awake most of the night. Hopefully, the fatigue won't hit until tomorrow. The hair loss is saving money on haircuts and shaving...lol. I also have an even greater respect for the effects of menopause as I have hot flashes occasionally. Thanks again to everyone for your support. Let's go Duke! We can never beat Miami enough to make up for the thing that can't be mentioned. Love you guys!
    Love the positive attitude! Keep up the fight my friend.

Thank you for your update. Keep on fighting hard and please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help. Thinking about you often with many great thoughts.

Glad to hear you didn't have problems with them finding the vein. I hope it is a good sign that you won't be as fatigued.

Keep on fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Love the positive attitude! Keep up the fight my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Thank you for your update. Keep on fighting hard and please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help. Thinking about you often with many great thoughts.
    YES... ALL OF THE ABOVE. Best wishes to you, and thank you very much for sharing your experiences. It helps to provide perspective to life.

Update one week out

Just beginning to climb out of the fatigue hole. Got to get some energy as one of the kids is scheduled to visit this weekend. And holy crap, Batman, can we please hit free throws when the game is on the line and be a bit more focused on the last in bounds pass with the game's outcome on the line? Sorry, had to get that off my chest now that I have enough energy (and roid rage). Hope everyone is safe and well. As always, I am grateful beyond words for your support.

Just beginning to climb out of the fatigue hole. Got to get some energy as one of the kids is scheduled to visit this weekend. And holy crap, Batman, can we please hit free throws when the game is on the line and be a bit more focused on the last in bounds pass with the game's outcome on the line? Sorry, had to get that off my chest now that I have enough energy (and roid rage). Hope everyone is safe and well. As always, I am grateful beyond words for your support.
    I sincerely hope out Blue Devils become a more positive distraction for you in the very near future.

How about a distraction. Why PeteandPete? Why not, say, PetePaulMary? Listening to Frank Morgan play Sax, sending great energy btw!

Well

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    How about a distraction. Why PeteandPete? Why not, say, PetePaulMary? Listening to Frank Morgan play Sax, sending great energy btw!
    I guess you never saw Pete & Pete on Nickelodeon. And I was fortunate enough to see PP & M live before Mary left us. Thanks for the energy.

Just beginning to climb out of the fatigue hole. Got to get some energy as one of the kids is scheduled to visit this weekend.
    That’s great news; how many kids do you have? Please tell us about them. Love makes everything much better!

Before I do that

I thought everyone would like to hear about my morning. Coach K called (live). I was stunned. A good friend had let him know about my health situation and he called to ask about my treatment, find out how I was doing, and encourage me to maintain my positive attitude. We talked about his dog, my treatment, teaching, coaching, and the impact we have on others. He even remembered the cookies we used to bake and bring to the seniors on their trips to Littlejohn. He wanted to know where I went for treatment and told me that he was so impressed with the things my friend Josh had said about me in the letter. We spoke for about 15 minutes. He said they were about to go see the grandson (Michael) play and have a NY weekend. I held it together pretty well until after the call. I wish I had a tape because it's hard to believe that this really happened. I thanked him for all that he did and for the great memories, then wished him well and thanked him for the call. I am so lucky in spite of this struggle. Let's Go Duke!