Page 54 of 88 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1746
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yeah, I think it’s pretty clear he’s a technology visionary….and pretty awful at most other things. We gotta be able to acknowledge the complexity of people.
    That's where I am with all of this stuff. We act like people exist in this flat plane and they don't.

I'm perfectly fine with differences. Until your idiocy outweighs your usefulness.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with differences. Until your idiocy outweighs your usefulness.
    Low blow, man. Low blow.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    We act like people exist in this flat plane and they don't.
    Kyrie disagrees.

That's where I am with all of this stuff. We act like people exist in this flat plane and they don't.
    Again, Kanye West. Gifted musician. Doesn't make him a great thinker or orator.

Being amazing at something frequently speaks zero in regards to your qualifications for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Why does it have to be so black and white? Musk is a lot of things. He’s a visionary in some ways and a fool in others. He is selfish and cold personally but also has some intellectually noble goals. He has unbridled chutzpah that created massive companies and made him a billionaire but which is getting out of control and causing him to make one dumb decision after another. Musk is brilliant and an idiot. People can be both - look at Bobby Fischer.

Musk’s biggest problem now is that he is falling into conspiracy theory hell.
    He’s becoming Henry Ford

https://theintercept.com/2022/12/20/elon-musk-henry-ford-extremism/

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Being amazing at something frequently speaks zero in regards to your qualifications for anything else.
    Yup. I’d also note that exceptionalism in one area often appears to have little to do with a strong moral compass.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yup. I’d also note that exceptionalism in one area often appears to have little to do with a strong moral compass.
    Hero worship has always been odd for me. Admire the good qualities, but don't pretend like the bad ones don't exist.

Whoa. As someone who plays an instrument, please don't call Ye a musician.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Nick Heer:

Twitter is going great, friends, and if you do not think Elon Musk is a business genius for spending $44 billion to buy the company without any plan besides replatforming a bunch of scumbags and banning the account posting trips taken by the SpaceX plane, you just cannot see the eight-dimensional chess game he is playing. He is a very smart man with a thick skin living in his happy multibillion-dollar world, and he is just trying to save civilization by bringing Nazis back and banning people from posting links to their Mastodon account on Twitter, the free speech platform.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Hero worship has always been odd for me. Admire the good qualities, but don't pretend like the bad ones don't exist.
    I would agree with this post, except, Coach K.

<deleted>

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Nick Heer:

Twitter is going great, friends, and if you do not think Elon Musk is a business genius for spending $44 billion to buy the company without any plan besides replatforming a bunch of scumbags and banning the account posting trips taken by the SpaceX plane, you just cannot see the eight-dimensional chess game he is playing. He is a very smart man with a thick skin living in his happy multibillion-dollar world, and he is just trying to save civilization by bringing Nazis back and banning people from posting links to their Mastodon account on Twitter, the free speech platform.
    Not just the SpaceX guys plane but the planes of several Russian oligarchs because of course we wanna make sure the world is safe for them to travel.

I have to think about this all the time at work. I teach classes for physicians. I'm not a physician, I'm a respiratory therapist. And I'm very proud of my profession. I also happen to have a fairly high IQ. But when I walk into a room, everyone in the room assumes their IQ and therefore their capabilities are higher than mine. And while not astronomically high, mine is high enough so that this can't be true.

But I pretty much never go in a room where my IQ is the highest. I run into some people with my current job whose intellectual capacity is truly phenomenal and incandescent. I'm pretty good at recognizing these people. The way I know them is when I teach my class those folks don't just understand the information, they pretty much immediately understand it at a higher level than I do. And I can tell. But here's the deal, everyone in the room feels like they are that person. People are just incredibly bad at self-assessment. Regardless of how advanced they are, it's just not a strength most people possess.

To break this down even further, in a career of observation, what I recognize is that people who are not intellectually advanced have the tendency to inflate their capabilities. They have the tendency to think of themselves as just as advanced as everyone else in the room. The truly intellectually gifted have one of two issues. They struggle to communicate with people who aren't as advanced as they are because they assume everyone has the same inherent ability to understand complex information just as easily as they do. So why would they explain to people when this is clearly simple information..even when it's not simple. Or they assume that everyone else in the room is a slack jawed yokel and it would be a waste of time to explain to lesser intellects what they will never understand. This isn't true of everyone. There are intellectually advanced folks who are perfectly capable of interacting and explaining and teaching things at a level everyone can understand, without being condescending. And there are folks who aren't as intellectually advanced but who are exceptional at decision making and using resources. But these are the issues I see with the two groups of people.

To tie this into Musk. He's clearly intellectually advanced. It seems to me that he misjudges his abilities, which are staggering in some facets, as conferring illusory superiority on him in every facet of life.

To break this down even further, in a career of observation, what I recognize is that people who are not intellectually advanced have the tendency to inflate their capabilities. ...
    Dunning and Kruger beat you to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Dunning and Kruger beat you to it.
    Oh yeah. I've read quite a bit about it. But that doesn't cover the entirety of this.

Funding

Interesting article by the Washington Post on who the other investors in Twitter are. (If I've done this correctly, you should be able to read this without being a subscriber.)

https://wapo.st/3VpiQjE

My guess is that the banks will end up owning the equity, and selling the remains off to a new equity investor.

Norad suspended

Norad's Twitter account has been suspended for doxxing the location of Santa's sleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Norad's Twitter account has been suspended for doxxing the location of Santa's sleigh.
    I almost spit my coffee out from laughing at his one. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    I almost spit my coffee out from laughing at his one. Thanks!
    Thanks very much. It's not my joke, but I saw George Takei post it on the Fediverse (Mastodon).