Page 49 of 88 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Joe Lunardi, brought to you by Elon..
    I’m just saying, I’ve never seen them together.

And apparently anyone who does see them together and posts about it on Twitter would be banned per the “new rules”. Almost as if….

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    He might have earlier today. I just bought two scalped Swift tickets (my daughter loves her!), on Vivid, and they were immediately electronically available from Ticketmaster. In the past, it’s always taken a couple days while the seller authorizes the ticket release.
    A little different than sending an envelope to San Rafael, hoping for the East Coast Tour book of tix….

Are you going too? If so, I have a scarf that needs to be returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I’m just saying, I’ve never seen them together.

And apparently anyone who does see them together and posts about it on Twitter would be banned per the “new rules”. Almost as if….
    Is the Santa Tracker safe, or off limits? Will he ban NORAD?!?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Yes. Also know folks who have not deleted their accounts, in order to keep someone from poaching their handle, but have locked it up and stopped using it.
    Me too, on both, deleting accounts or locking accounts. I deleted mine, but can see the other approach as equally reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is the Santa Tracker safe, or off limits? Will he ban NORAD?!?
    Of course. It’s doxxing Santa.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    No, he's not. He is very, very good at getting people to talk about him though. He's to the 2020s what Madonna was to the 1980s and 90s, or, from what I've heard, Elvis of the 50s and 60s. Genius requires something more than merely the ability to attract attention. Making a lot of money isn't even a sign of genius, especially when one is born into wealth. Musk will continue to have fans, just like Madonna and Elvis, but having fans won't ever make him a genius.
    Depends on what your perception of genius is. By definition I believe he fits the bill.
    exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
    I think he qualifies .we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't see either of us backing away from our perception of Musk.
    But Madonna was a shock artist like Howard stern ect.entertainers not quite what Musk is in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I agree to an extent. A social media platform isn't beholden to the First Amendment.

Full disclosure, I don't Tweet, I don't generally care about Twitter. I'm not in the target demographic. Draw whatever conclusions you want.

But... Elon Musk took over Twitter under the auspices of ushering in an era of "free speech." I don't know that he has done anything illegal. But he sure as punch has done a lot of things that are ironic.
    I deleted mine and my Facebook.
    Reduced my social media presence.
    I figure if anyone doesn't talk ti me on the phone .do I really need them around.
    Sort of minding my own buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I figure if anyone doesn't talk ti me on the phone .do I really need them around.
    Or they can visit you in the swamps!

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    Just curious, anyone know someone who has canceled their Twitter account recently? I just joined, but would be interesting to hear if anyone has decided the new version is not something they want to use.
    I know about a dozen people who have either deleted their account or (more often) have essentially stopped any activity while still "parking" their account. I am strongly considering doing this myself.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Depends on what your perception of genius is. By definition I believe he fits the bill.
    exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
    I think he qualifies .we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't see either of us backing away from our perception of Musk.
    But Madonna was a shock artist like Howard stern ect.entertainers not quite what Musk is in my humble opinion.
    If we accept your definition of genius, then Madonna is every bit the genius that Elon Musk is. She has exceptional creative powers and exceptional natural ability, she might even be exceptionally intelligent although that's harder to showcase in the kind of career she chose for herself. According to a Google search, she's worth $850 million, so, not quite a billionaire, but she didn't have the same kind of head start that Musk did. If we compare her now to where she started, she's got way more business smarts than Musk.

If we accept your definition of genius, then Madonna is every bit the genius that Elon Musk is. She has exceptional creative powers and exceptional natural ability, she might even be exceptionally intelligent although that's harder to showcase in the kind of career she chose for herself. According to a Google search, she's worth $850 million, so, not quite a billionaire, but she didn't have the same kind of head start that Musk did. If we compare her now to where she started, she's got way more business smarts than Musk.
    Props to The Material Girl!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

His definition of genius is the actual definition of genius!

FWIW, I think Madonna is a musical genius.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I know about a dozen people who have either deleted their account or (more often) have essentially stopped any activity while still "parking" their account. I am strongly considering doing this myself.
    The biggest boycott would be from sports teams (at least as far as we'd likely notice), but I don't see that happening. I'm not aware of any star athletes leaving yet, either, nor big name sports writers.
    So if Duke Basketball and others jump ship, that's an impact, but until that happens (it won't), then it will be business as usual for Musk.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The biggest boycott would be from sports teams (at least as far as we'd likely notice), but I don't see that happening. I'm not aware of any star athletes leaving yet, either, nor big name sports writers.
    So if Duke Basketball and others jump ship, that's an impact, but until that happens (it won't), then it will be business as usual for Musk.
    And the real question is advertisers. If they end up just selling My Pillows, Twitter has failed. But that does not seem to be the case (yet?).

In any event, the “Twitter will be inoperable” cry after the exodus of employees seems to have been overblown.

You and I are not the social media target demographic. This is the closest I come to social media for the last 12 years.

There are folks half my age who would have an aneurysm if they went 12 hours without TikTok/Instagram/whatever the even cooler thing is.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And the real question is advertisers. If they end up just selling My Pillows, Twitter has failed. But that does not seem to be the case (yet?).
    So Musk bought Twitter and turned it into Parler. Advertisers need to trust the usage numbers coming from a guy who feels misinformation peddlers deserve a platform. Good luck with that.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    His definition of genius is the actual definition of genius!

FWIW, I think Madonna is a musical genius.
    Here's my problem with that definition. If having exceptional talent is all it takes to be a genius, then being a genius isn't all that special. I bet everyone who posts here has a talent or field of knowledge where they are at or near the top of that particular endeavor.

I will concede that Musk is exceptionally talented at getting people to talk about him. If that makes one jump over the low bar into geniushood, then Kim Kardashian, George Clooney, AOC, Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, and Marjorie Taylor Greene are also geniuses.

Kim Kardashian is worth more than Madonna, $1.8 billion.

Also - if we're talking exceptional talent, Madonna is way more than just a musical genius. She's shown exceptional talent in multiple fields.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 12-17-2022 at 02:42 PM.

Here's my problem with that definition. If having exceptional talent is all it takes to be a genius, then being a genius isn't all that special. I bet everyone who posts here has a talent or field of knowledge where they are at or near the top of that particular endeavor.
    I'm particularly talented at hating UNC, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    Just curious, anyone know someone who has canceled their Twitter account recently? I just joined, but would be interesting to hear if anyone has decided the new version is not something they want to use.
    You mean other than my own? No.

No, he's not. He is very, very good at getting people to talk about him though. He's to the 2020s what Madonna was to the 1980s and 90s, or, from what I've heard, Elvis of the 50s and 60s. Genius requires something more than merely the ability to attract attention. Making a lot of money isn't even a sign of genius, especially when one is born into wealth. Musk will continue to have fans, just like Madonna and Elvis, but having fans won't ever make him a genius.
    With all due respect, you don't have any idea whether Musk is a genius; unless, of course, you have administered the Stanford-Binet to him and just haven't told us about it yet, or worked closely with him for a considerable period of time.

People with political views that don't align with yours, and people who are boorish or childish or egotistical or straight-up a-holes can still, technically, be geniuses, since genius is a measure of one's ability to think and learn, rather than a measure of one's ability to get along with others, hold rational political beliefs, or run a company in a certain way.

By the same token, he might not be a genius, but you have no objective way of knowing, one way or the other.