Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I agree that the verification check mark thing will be pretty easy to fix. It has created an amusing diversion thus far that shows the unintended consequences of tinkering without really thinking through all the possibilities. I will say that tinkering like that is not exactly what I would want from a corporate leader. It isn't a good look.

More importantly, I don't see anyone saying that the "for a fee" check marks are going to create a meaningful revenue stream for the company. That is the whole reason Elon began tinkering with this, to get more cash flow. I doubt it provides much relief at all in that regard. I am yet to run into anyone who says they will be willing to pay $8/month for a verification check mark.
    I can't imagine a $44b investment can recoup anything of significance through $8 verification of celebrities. If every human on earth were a celebrity and all got on Twitter and were all verified, then you'd be making back most of your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Probably not, at least until there’s services available that I would deem worth 8$ a month.

I don’t see a need to be verified, so I’ll just be a follower.
    So that would put you in the "so there's a chance" pool of users. I don't think that's a big market. I think the vast market is "heck no."

How many verified accounts did Twitter have before Elon? A million? Maybe 2? Even if everyone started paying, it's not enough. From Elon's rhetoric, it seems time is of the essence. Cost savings from the layoffs won't kick in until February. He wants to flip the advertising to more targeted impulse buying (like Instagram). It can work but that requires a lot more advertisers paying a lot less.

In the past, there were several big companies looking at Twitter as a acquisition including Disney. Everyone of them concluded that the juice wasn't worth the squeak. Any new investor he finds is going to come in with Twitter at a vastly lower valuation (probably in the $13-18 billion range). It's not looking good. While it's easy to make fun of the loud mouth billionaire, there are people's livelihood on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    How does that compare with Facebook? I’ve never tried either.
    Let’s just say that they’ve been losing subs and it’s known as Rightbook for a reason. Facebook was how most the alt right started forming a few years ago and they took a lot of heat for not doing more to prevent things like Jan 6.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Let’s just say that they’ve been losing subs and it’s known as Rightbook for a reason. Facebook was how most the alt right started forming a few years ago and they took a lot of heat for not doing more to prevent things like Jan 6.
    which is why I have never joined, never will, and wish them and Zuck the very worst. The role they played in 2016 was deplorable.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I will certainly concede that he has been wildly successful in a number of different arenas (you would be shocked at how many diverse companies he owns). While his start the past couple weeks at Twitter has been anything but smooth, it would not be a shock at all if he turns it into something even bigger and better than what it was.

Dude may be quirky and march to the beat of his own drummer, but he didn't just luck into being the richest person in the history of mankind.
    Being rich certainly doesn't prove you are not lucky. I realize you said "just luck", which is different. Still, I think it's important to remember how important luck is in being rich. It is a pet peeve of mine that the media and many Americans seem to believe that being rich establishes that someone is a genius, or close to it.

Beyond that, remember that being really good at something doesn't mean that you can't also be really bad at other things. Put another way, just because you are intelligent doesn't mean that you are not as capable as the next person of being incredibly stupid. For example and to bring this back to basketball, look at Michael Jordan. Outside of playing basketball, he hasn't been very successful.

I will go on record as saying I will be completely shocked if Musk turns Twitter into something bigger and better than what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    . It is a pet peeve of mine that the media and many Americans seem to believe that being rich establishes that someone is a genius, or close to it.
    Agreed. Particularly since that assumption only seems to apply to white men.

Being rich certainly doesn't prove you are not lucky. I realize you said "just luck", which is different. Still, I think it's important to remember how important luck is in being rich. It is a pet peeve of mine that the media and many Americans seem to believe that being rich establishes that someone is a genius, or close to it.

Beyond that, remember that being really good at something doesn't mean that you can't also be really bad at other things. Put another way, just because you are intelligent doesn't mean that you are not as capable as the next person of being incredibly stupid. For example and to bring this back to basketball, look at Michael Jordan. Outside of playing basketball, he hasn't been very successful.

I will go on record as saying I will be completely shocked if Musk turns Twitter into something bigger and better than what it was.
    Oh, to be clear, I was not implying that Musk had made his hundreds of billions through genius alone. I think there was a good bit of luck in it. I think that is the case of darn near every successful person. Heck, look at Zoom... there have been other video conferencing apps around for a while. Zoom happened to be in the right place at the right time when an unprecedented global pandemic happened. Viola, the company is suddenly worth exponentially more than it was pre-pandemic. There was some luck in that, for sure.

Still, Elon has turned multiple enterprises in multiple fields into highly successful businesses. There is more than luck going on with him. Does that mean he has the magic formula to make Twitter actually worth what he paid for it? I dunno about that but we have to acknowledge that his track record means he should not be dismissed as a total crackpot (which some do seem inclined to do).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    That issue predates Musk.

He’s aggressively attacking the problem by charging 8$ with his Blue Checkmark plan to verify accounts, and he’s already deleted and banned accounts of people impersonating others.

The guy has owned Twitter for what, less than two weeks? I’m willing to give him time to address some of the problems Twitter has had in the past and I’m interested in his ideas on how to make it better.
    Wanted to revisit this. Word has come down this morning that they’ve disabled Twitter Bkue because of the impersonation issues. I guess $8 wasn’t much of a deterrent. Who could have seen this coming - except the myriad of people who said it would be a problem.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Wanted to revisit this. Word has come down this morning that they’ve disabled Twitter Bkue because of the impersonation issues. I guess $8 wasn’t much of a deterrent. Who could have seen this coming - except the myriad of people who said it would be a problem.
    If you've seen some of the impersonation posts, you'll understand why they disabled it. Some of them are laugh out loud funny, like a Chiquita account explaining that they haven't overthrown a country since the 1950s.

This remained up on Twitter for 18 hours...

...in case you are wondering why advertisers might be abandoning the site.

And here is the above referenced Chiquita Bananna one...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Someone should create a fake account for Twitter itself and put up a job posting for a competent CEO.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    It’s potentially going to be dangerous at some point.

It’s all well and good to laugh off a fake Lebron account saying he wants out of Los Angeles.

But what happens when some jerk impersonates a government official and says that everyone needs to evacuate an area? Or countless other awful scenarios.
    I would think you would verify through another news source. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    which is why I have never joined, never will, and wish them and Zuck the very worst. The role they played in 2016 was deplorable.
    They all have been meddling in politics for quite a while it's not limited to 2016.

Fake Tesla tweets

I was very amused by this:
    Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I would think you would verify through another news source. But that's just me.
    In that case why not just skip to that other source to begin with?

I really have the feeling that Twitter is going quickly. Musk fired so many, and discouraged so many more, that the company is truly screwed. Advertisers are fleeing, so revenue will drop. Systems problems are likely. See this article here: https://www.technologyreview.com/202...-coming-weeks/

Someone on Twitter said, “If I bought something for $44 and broke it the first week, I’d be upset.” Pretty well sums it up.

Oh, and the FTC can’t be happy. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...er/ar-AA13YGmR

Also, lots of folks I follow have opened Mastodon accounts.
    I believe he will revive it and get it straight.
    I find it vastly better and more entertaining since he's taken it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    In that case why not just skip to that other source to begin with?
    I wouldn't believe it on Twitter but I'm not everyone .
    I try to verify things . The Dbr should make you do that if you don't.
    Very intelligent crowd here .you'll get nailed if you don't.

This whole craziness might actually be costing me money personally. I own some Eli Lilly stock. Lilly was a victim of a fake verified account yesterday which posted that insulin would now be free. Lilly had to respond and like five other fake verified accounts showed up with more strange posts. Anyway, LLY stock is down 5% today and many people think it is a direct result of the fake tweets. Granted, there is a general rotation out of healthcare today, but LLY seems to be losing more ground than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I wouldn't believe it on Twitter but I'm not everyone .
    I try to verify things . The Dbr should make you do that if you don't.
    Very intelligent crowd here .you'll get nailed if you don't.
    That’s why the old system worked well. I followed the people I wanted to follow and many were verified. Therefore, if I saw a tweet from them with the check mark, I knew it was coming from the right account (always have to judge the veracity yourself).

That’s the whole reason for me to use Twitter. To get news about certain topics that I care about from sources I trust. If I have to verify myself that the account is legitimate now, why am I bothering with Twitter at all? They cease to have a reason to exist.