Page 59 of 87 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1728
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Twitter announced that it is cutting off free access to its APIs in a week. Seems like another bad decision to me, but I'm no expert on platforms and networks.

https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/statu...26986784337922
    Let me analyze how this will affect me.

Hmm...

Not at all.

Don’t be so sure

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Let me analyze how this will affect me.

Hmm...

Not at all.
    Even if you don’t use the API, if you use Twitter, it likely will affect what content is available. Things like news and weather alerts are posted by bots using the API.

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Musk fires too engineer

“Engineers had previously investigated whether Musk’s reach had somehow been artificially restricted, but found no evidence that the algorithm was biased against him.

Musk did not take the news well.

“You’re fired, you’re fired,” Musk told the engineer.”

https://www.platformer.news/p/elon-m...itter-engineer

“Engineers had previously investigated whether Musk’s reach had somehow been artificially restricted, but found no evidence that the algorithm was biased against him.

Ok, but like in his defense, I get super pissy when people try to show me evidence the things I feel are wrong.

Elon - Artificially boosted now!

Yes, Elon Musk created a special system for showing you all his tweets first
    After his Super Bowl tweet did worse numbers than President Biden’s, Twitter’s CEO ordered major changes to the algorithm

Elon’s Super Bowl Tweet Flopped, So He Had 80 Engineers Boost His Tweets

That’s just sad. Also really funny.

But sad.

Elon tweeted that his dog would be the new CEO of Twitter... and the price of Dogecoin jumped more than 5%.

I'm serious... insane.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ad revenue

"Some 625 of the top 1,000 Twitter advertisers, including major brands such as Coca-Cola, Unilever, Jeep, Wells Fargo and Merck, had pulled their ad dollars as of January, according to estimates from Pathmatics, based on data running through January 25."

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/10/t...ine/index.html

But, yeah, it's going great.

"Some 625 of the top 1,000 Twitter advertisers, including major brands such as Coca-Cola, Unilever, Jeep, Wells Fargo and Merck, had pulled their ad dollars as of January, according to estimates from Pathmatics, based on data running through January 25."

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/10/t...ine/index.html

But, yeah, it's going great.
    But I think they picked up MyPillow.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

My first tweet on the “for you” this morning was Elon’s. Instantly blocked him.

“That was easy”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

“That was easy”
    I blocked him as soon as I heard he'd made the engineers boost his tweets. Bet I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

“That was easy”
    Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    I blocked him as soon as I heard he'd made the engineers boost his tweets. Bet I'm not the only one.
    I wouldn't doubt he'll take that option away.

This just in: Elon has forbidden any Twitter user (hereinafter called “Twidiots”) from naming their child “X AE A-XII”. Any user who has a child with that name has a week to change it or risk their checkmark being changed to an orange color or, in the case of repeated offenders, removed entirely.

Pay to use 2FA

This doesn't seem like a very wise move to me, but what do I know? https://www.reuters.com/technology/t...ge-2023-02-18/

This doesn't seem like a very wise move to me, but what do I know? https://www.reuters.com/technology/t...ge-2023-02-18/
    People are already pointing out that using an authentication app (I use Authy) is more secure and still free. At least, I’m guessing, until Elon realizes this and shuts it off as well.

Personally, I stopped logging into Twitter a long time ago. I can still see what is trending, which is all I really care about. Also, Twitter doesn’t track me, and I don’t see Elon’s tweets forcibly inserted into my timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    People are already pointing out that using an authentication app (I use Authy) is more secure and still free. At least, I’m guessing, until Elon realizes this and shuts it off as well.

Personally, I stopped logging into Twitter a long time ago. I can still see what is trending, which is all I really care about. Also, Twitter doesn’t track me, and I don’t see Elon’s tweets forcibly inserted into my timeline.
    I don’t see them either. Muting him was the best thing I’ve done in quite some time.

Authenticators

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post

Yes, I use authenticators in some cases, particularly apps that tie into my finances. But they are a bit more difficult to use and many people will simply choose to forgo a second factor, making their accounts much less secure.

Charging for 2FA is nuts.

A reasonably good guess (though unverified) about how the decision to move 2FA to only Twitter Blue accounts came to pass: https://twitter.com/EricAschner/stat...99229401948163

Long story short: the author’s suspicion is that Elon has laid off the security team members that used to deal with bots generating money off of texts, like those used in 2FA, so they are now faced with large bills for that SMS traffic. Elon thinks the problem will go away by restricting SMS to verified accounts (and that he will make money by driving people to verify). But that move won’t solve the problem.
    Last edited by jafarr1; 02-18-2023 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Clarity