Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1728
    My dial-up connection was taking forever.

500K crashes their system? That's nothing, how stupid do they think we are? Don't answer, they know exactly how stupid their audience is.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Daily Kos on Twitter

"Using Twitter is still a necessary evil for many of us, me included. But given the pace of alternatives suddenly emerging, those days are numbered. I fully expect Twitter to be obsolete by the end of the year, a $44-billion boondoggle that’ll resemble little more than a glorified Parler or Gab. Yet another ‘unscheduled rapid disassembly’ overseen by Elon Musk."

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...mment_86275913

Fidelity

Fidelity, which holds Twitter stock in some of its funds, has marked the stock down to 1/3 of the value when Musk bought Twitter: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/twitt...185709652.html

Mutual fund valuations of privately held equity are an art, not a science, and often overvalue their holdings.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Fidelity, which holds Twitter stock in some of its funds, has marked the stock down to 1/3 of the value when Musk bought Twitter: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/twitt...185709652.html

Mutual fund valuations of privately held equity are an art, not a science, and often overvalue their holdings.
    yes, I just read that Twitter ad sales are down 59% for the last five week period reported. Elon bought it for $44 billion, now says it's worth $20 billion, Fidelity says it's worth $15 billion (for now). Maybe TikTok can buy them and make everyone happy?

Best 4:20 acquisition ever?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, I just read that Twitter ad sales are down 59% for the last five week period reported. Elon bought it for $44 billion, now says it's worth $20 billion, Fidelity says it's worth $15 billion (for now). Maybe TikTok can buy them and make everyone happy?

Best 4:20 acquisition ever?
    He seems to still be leaning into whatever his “plan” is. He’s scheduled to host Democrat presidential candidate RFK Jr on Twitter Spaces today. All this might be a way to manufacture drama and drive engagement but it ends up isolating more and more people that advertisers want to market. Know who sends a lot of money advertising? Pharmaceuticals! Now let’s piss them off too. He was pretty quiet for awhile and reclaimed the world’s richest man title. Maybe he should have learned something?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    He seems to still be leaning into whatever his “plan” is. He’s scheduled to host Democrat presidential candidate RFK Jr on Twitter Spaces today. All this might be a way to manufacture drama and drive engagement but it ends up isolating more and more people that advertisers want to market. Know who sends a lot of money advertising? Pharmaceuticals! Now let’s piss them off too. He was pretty quiet for awhile and reclaimed the world’s richest man title. Maybe he should have learned something?
    Does Big Pharma care all that much about anti-vaxxers? Vaccines aren't where the money is in pharmaceuticals (except during a worldwide pandemic). The money is in chronic meds. You never, ever see a pharma ad for a vaccine, but you see them all the time for psoriasis, anti-AIDS drugs, heart meds, or diabetes control - drugs people have to purchase for the rest of their lives. I'm not sure Kennedy moves the needle much.
    Last edited by Phredd3; 06-05-2023 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Actual correct words and stuff.

he still seems to be claiming that revenue is somehow improving, so as long as he's happy...it's only cost him $29 billion thus far...

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Does Big Pharma care all that much about anti-vaxxers? Vaccines aren't where the money is in pharmaceuticals (except during a worldwide pandemic). The money is in chronic meds. You never, ever see a pharma ad for a vaccine, but you see them all the time for psoriasis, anti-AIDS drugs, heart meds, or diabetes control - drugs people have to purchase for the rest of their lives. I'm not sure Kennedy moves the needle much.
    It's guilt by association. None of those companies want their ads next to some anti-science post. Twitter's so broken that anti-vac posts might be linked to pharmaceutical topics which would be where the companies try to target. All of sudden your ad is targeting people that have no interest in the product. Plus you plant a seed about not taking vaccines, then maybe that blood pressure medicine and then that cholesterol one too, etc...

It's guilt by association. None of those companies want their ads next to some anti-science post. Twitter's so broken that anti-vac posts might be linked to pharmaceutical topics which would be where the companies try to target. All of sudden your ad is targeting people that have no interest in the product. Plus you plant a seed about not taking vaccines, then maybe that blood pressure medicine and then that cholesterol one too, etc...
    It's a reasonable point of view. But consider that very few people who are anti-vax won't take heart-related meds or other things that clearly and obviously improve their quality of life. The benefits of vaccines are much more remote to the average person. I just don't think this makes waves with the folks who control the money, in terms of attitude and goodwill, as your post implied. On the other hand, to the extend that hosting RFK Jr. cements Twitter as a platform for nutballs, then yes, it would have an impact, but I think it's an incremental one, not a major sea change, and not really a change that is directly connected to Big Pharma.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Uh, I hear ads for the Prevnar vaccine literally every day on Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Uh, I hear ads for the Prevnar vaccine literally every day on Spotify.
    Gardasil brings in big money as well and I see advertised all the time.

Access to twitter

Don't know if this is intentional or not, but today I am unable to view any tweets on Twitter without logging in. Since I closed my Twitter account last year, that means I won't be viewing any tweets. Here's an article on this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...rs/ar-AA1dgeDK

Remind me again exactly how Elon Musk is a genius.

Don't know if this is intentional or not, but today I am unable to view any tweets on Twitter without logging in. Since I closed my Twitter account last year, that means I won't be viewing any tweets. Here's an article on this:

Yep, same here. But it appears that if someone imbeds (correct word?) a tweet in a thread, you can see it on the thread. But if you click it to go to Twitter, no luck.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Yep, same here. But it appears that if someone imbeds (correct word?) a tweet in a thread, you can see it on the thread. But if you click it to go to Twitter, no luck.
    Yeah, I can't do the Summer League thread without being able to read Twitter, and I'm not signing up for it. (I assume one reason for this login requirement is to boost the numbers of new accounts.)

There are ways to circumvent this. There's a pretty simple one here that lets you read a Twitter page from an alternative platform.

Twitter continues to decline

A story about some of the latest problems at Twitter: https://www.zdnet.com/article/twitte...fferent-story/

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

HeManWomanHaters.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The heck is a rate limit?

And how did I exceed it?

Well

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And how did I exceed it?
    It's Twitter's way of telling you something's wrong.

Is this real?

IMG_0961.jpg

ETA: I guess it is. “temporary” of course.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 07-01-2023 at 02:43 PM.