Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Confession: I’m a big, dumb animal that is drawn to shiny things.
    Hey, brevity, look over here:

6566D376-EC76-4FDB-993E-030D570DB386.jpg

Ole Miss beat Stanford 72-68 today in the ESPN Events Invitational in Kissimmee, FL. Jaemyn Brakefield finished with 17 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 assists. He went 5-for-6 in field goals (making both 3-point attempts) and 5-for-7 from the line.

Mississippi is now 5-0 but their KenPom rating slipped from #51 to #53. Stanford is now 2-3 and KenPom #64.

They play Siena on Friday, after the Saints beat Florida State 80-63.

Jaemyn Brakefield scored another 17 points and added 7 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals as Mississippi beat Siena 74-62. They are 6-0 and will play for the ESPN Events Invitational championship on Sunday. Their opponent will be the winner of the Oklahoma-Seton Hall game later today.

Henry Coleman had 12 points, 3 rebounds, 6 assists, and a block as Texas A&M beat DePaul 82-66 in Chicago.

Joey Baker isn't get many more minutes at Michigan than he ever did at Duke, but he is shooting 48% from 3 this year. I was shocked to look at the stats and see that he hit almost 41% for us last year. Has anyone watched enough Michigan games to have a sense of what's different? I never came to the conclusion that Joey was a bad shooter. It felt like he always knew his minutes were going to be limited, so when he came in the game, he put too much pressure on himself to score. But, that's just me imagined what was going on in his head. He's also only getting 2 more minutes per game at Michigan. It pains me to see him in that uniform, but I'm glad to see him knocking down some 3's. He actually has the exact same scoring average so far that he did last session, due to an abysmal 2P% of 25% this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    Joey Baker isn't get many more minutes at Michigan than he ever did at Duke, but he is shooting 48% from 3 this year. I was shocked to look at the stats and see that he hit almost 41% for us last year. Has anyone watched enough Michigan games to have a sense of what's different? I never came to the conclusion that Joey was a bad shooter. It felt like he always knew his minutes were going to be limited, so when he came in the game, he put too much pressure on himself to score. But, that's just me imagined what was going on in his head. He's also only getting 2 more minutes per game at Michigan. It pains me to see him in that uniform, but I'm glad to see him knocking down some 3's. He actually has the exact same scoring average so far that he did last session, due to an abysmal 2P% of 25% this year.
    He’s 14-29. Low sample size

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    He’s 14-29. Low sample size
    Yeah, but he's averaging 2.2 3 point attempts per game, which he averaged his last 2 seasons at Duke. He seems to be performing better with a low shot volume and thus low sample size, compared to his equally low shot volume at Duke. I don't need to look up the stats to verify that he never went 14-29 to start a season for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    Yeah, but he's averaging 2.2 3 point attempts per game, which he averaged his last 2 seasons at Duke. He seems to be performing better with a low shot volume and thus low sample size, compared to his equally low shot volume at Duke. I don't need to look up the stats to verify that he never went 14-29 to start a season for us.
    He is literally 2 makes better right now than his full-season average last year. It's a small sample size thing. When dealing with such small volume of attempts, the average will fluctuate with an additional make.

Last year, he started the season 13-29 from 3. In 2020, he started the year 16-30 from 3. So, you probably should have taken the time to verify that, in fact, he HAS started a season like this before for Duke. Twice.

He appears to be the same player.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He is literally 2 makes better right now than his full-season average last year. It's a small sample size thing. When dealing with such small volume of attempts, the average will fluctuate with an additional make.

Last year, he started the season 13-29 from 3. In 2020, he started the year 16-30 from 3. So, you probably should have taken the time to verify that, in fact, he HAS started a season like this before for Duke. Twice.

He appears to be the same player.
    And, from what I’ve seen, he still is a liability defensively.
    Last edited by MChambers; 01-03-2023 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Added second comma

I like Joey too, but would he even be ahead of Schutt in the rotation right now? I assume so, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I like Joey too, but would he even be ahead of Schutt in the rotation right now? I assume so, but not by much.
    I'd really hope so, given Schutt has played 44 minutes so far this season. And he's not likely to see many more minutes given we're in conference play.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Mike Savarino and family

IMG_6188.jpg

Coach K and Mickey watching NYU and their grandson at the University of Chicago
    Unfortunately I didn't see Savarino's name in the box score.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Michigan is still struggling, but Joey just had an awesome chase-down block on a Northwestern fast break. He's still giving the effort on D despite his inadequacies on that end.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Schutt is barely ahead of me in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Ouch, not a good night for Joey. Five minutes, one point and four fouls.
    Josh Hairston-esque

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Schutt is barely ahead of me in the rotation.
    In fairness, you’re a matchup nightmare.

Baker/Boeheim

[Imported from Reeves thread]

Baker was another case where it [redshirt] would have made sense, as he clearly wasn't ready as a freshman, but might have benefited from a development track. Obviously he never developed anyway, but there's little reason why he didn't develop and Buddy Boeheim did.
    The Baker-Boeheim contrast is interesting and perhaps useful in understanding the Baker enigma. I agree with CDu that there should have been little reason why Baker didn’t develop while Boeheim did, but maybe there were 3 big reasons:

1. Boeheim’s footwork improved sufficiently so he became a “ready” shooter. Baker, in contrast, needed an extra second most of the time.
    2. Boeheim developed a dependable — not to say excellent — handle. In 4 years, Baker’s handle improved minimally. Did Baker work diligently on this, but simply could not master this essential perimeter skill?
    3. Because Boeheim played in the Cuse zone, his (presumed) deficiencies on D were hidden. Baker couldn't hide, and so was a marked liability on D, limiting his minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    And, from what I’ve seen, he still is a liability defensively.
    Didn’t Baker redshirt one year at Duke or am I confusing him with someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Didn’t Baker redshirt one year at Duke or am I confusing him with someone else?
    Baker's redshirt was burned in the second half of a conference game in February if I remember correctly.

That decision prompted an astonishing flood of criticism on this board. I was one of the few dissenters who insisted we wouldn't know for several years whether it was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Baker's redshirt was burned in the second half of a conference game in February if I remember correctly.

That decision prompted an astonishing flood of criticism on this board. I was one of the few dissenters who insisted we wouldn't know for several years whether it was a mistake.
    Yes, and the counterpoint to your dissent was that we knew within weeks if it was a mistake or not. We just wouldn't know for several years whether or not the mistake was a costly mistake.

Yes, and the counterpoint to your dissent was that we knew within weeks if it was a mistake or not. We just wouldn't know for several years whether or not the mistake was a costly mistake.
    I have no interest in rehashing the discussion.

I'd say we all are unanimous in wishing Baker the best.