Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Tracking the Duke transfers (Joey Baker, Henry Coleman, Jaemyn Brakefield)

Joey’s off to a hot start in maize and blue… two quick threes as the first man off the bench!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Joey’s off to a hot start in maize and blue… two quick threes as the first man off the bench!
    Is this thread an ode to Joey or a way to talk about Michigan?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Why can’t it be both? I am an irrationally devoted supporter of both!

(But note the restraint… no mention of any player besides Joey! I listen to my critics, haha)
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

He looks a lot more confident. Wish he was still at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    He looks a lot more confident. Wish he was still at Duke.
    It may not have happened at Duke if he stayed. Perhaps he needed different surroundings.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    How does the D look though?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I can’t remember where Joey Beard ended up, but at least we didn’t have to read about his exploits at BU. (Okay, I looked it up).

(But note the restraint… no mention of any player besides Joey! I listen to my critics, haha)
    No offense, but this isn’t cute. Everyone here knows of what you are an irrationally devoted fan; it isn’t Joey.

Okay with me to talk about Joey and/or Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    No offense, but this isn’t cute. Everyone here knows of what you are an irrationally devoted fan; it isn’t Joey.
    A) I don’t think this type of personal dig is necessary (unless this post was tongue in cheek, in which case I apologize for misjudging the tone).

B) This is a very valid thread for this board. I understand my Michigan fandom is annoying to some and have edited myself accordingly, including in starting this conversation.

C) Look through the last three years of my posting/writing and you’ll see I’ve been one of Joey’s biggest supporters and advocates, even when he struggled.

Joey finished as Michigan’s third leading scorer with 9 (on 3 of 6 from deep) off the bench. Added a few rebounds, an assist, a block, and a tech (not sure what for).

Good for Joey

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I can’t remember where Joey Beard ended up, but at least we didn’t have to read about his exploits at BU. (Okay, I looked it up).
    Not to mention his exploits in France.

Joey finished as Michigan’s third leading scorer with 9 (on 3 of 6 from deep) off the bench. Added a few rebounds, an assist, a block, and a tech (not sure what for).
    But how many points would he have it he didn’t unnecessarily pump fake?

I didn’t mind Joey on D; he tried so hard but was so ineffective.

His shot selection - or lack of shooting when open - killed me.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Okay with me to talk about Joey and/or Michigan.
    This is perfectly relevant subject matter for the main board, but Joey deserves no special treatment. This thread should be expanded to all former Blue Devils who transferred:

Jaemyn Brakefield, Mississippi
    Henry Coleman III, Texas A&M
    Michael Savarino, NYU
    Keenan Worthington, ???

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This is perfectly relevant subject matter for the main board, but Joey deserves no special treatment. This thread should be expanded to all former Blue Devils who transferred:

Michael Savarino, NYU
    Keenan Worthington, ???
    Good call. I think we’re a bit more attached to Joey as a four year player than Jaemyn/Henry which was my thought process, but agreed this can/should be expanded. Mods, please do so if appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Michael Savarino, NYU
    Keenan Worthington, ???
    Where did Keenan end up? Inquiring minds want to know. Did a quick google and found nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Where did Keenan end up? Inquiring minds want to know. Did a quick google and found nothing.
    I don't think Keenan is playing basketball this season anywhere...it's possible I'm mistaken but that's what it appears.

Michigan 75, Purdue Fort Wayne 56
    Joey Baker played 16 minutes as a reserve guard and scored 9 points off 3-for-6 outside shooting. He added 3 rebounds, an assist, and a block.

Texas A&M 87, Louisiana-Monroe 54
    Henry Coleman III, starting forward, played 22 minutes. He had 14 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, and a steal.

Mississippi 73, Alcorn State 58
    Jaemyn Brakefield started at forward and scored 3 points in 14 minutes. He scored a 2-pointer, a free throw, and had a turnover. The play-by-play has him on the bench for large chunks of each half. What happened? Nothing on Twitter, and no game recap yet.

A) I don’t think this type of personal dig is necessary (unless this post was tongue in cheek, in which case I apologize for misjudging the tone).

B) This is a very valid thread for this board. I understand my Michigan fandom is annoying to some and have edited myself accordingly, including in starting this conversation.

C) Look through the last three years of my posting/writing and you’ll see I’ve been one of Joey’s biggest supporters and advocates, even when he struggled.

D) All of the above.

I appreciate the perspective from the various DBR denizens who have loyalties (whole or partial) elsewhere and are good people. We have some you, NCSU, and UVA contributers here. And probably some other fans I'm forgetting. It makes this a better discussion board.

Yeah, I can't spork scottdude8 my PM, so I guess I'll put it here for everyone's eyes.

Joey was the basis for a LOT of discussion here during his time at Duke. He's moved elsewhere (after completing his obligation to our Devils I might add) and I don't understand why folks are cranky about this.

Are folks here still salty about the Fab Five? That's my only guess, even though we waxed the floor with them. Is it because their coach smacked someone - that wasn't a great look, I agree. Is it because they aren't ACC?

Anyway, I'm not trying to kickstart a debate here, I'm just surprised by the reaction of many posters. scottdude8 brings the heat and the analysis with his Duke posts. He's a talented writer and knows his stuff.

As has been recommended to me over and over (I'm working on it) "if you don't wanna read a thread, just skip over it." There's no arm twisting going on here, and no requirement to read each and every post.

Personally, I have a good friend in Ann Arbor. I took him to Duke/Miami last year, and we talk college ball around the calendar. I enjoy the little insights and it helps me spring a surprise on him from time to time.

My 2¢