Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Oh no. Where do I go to talk about the Offseasom now?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I was surprised by this. Mets have really pumped a bunch of money into the team. I think their spending is more likely to come back to bite them instead of helping them win a World Series.
    Cohen is playing with monopoly money. Their payroll numbers are ludicrous. $380 million for 2023 as it currently stands (the Yankees are second at $248 million for perspective) which doesn't even include the massive tax bill he will incur. It is estimated to be around $110 million so he is committed to almost HALF A BILLION dollars for 2023 alone. Insane.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Oh no. Where do I go to talk about the Offseasom now?
    Steve Cohen can buy you a place.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Cohen is playing with monopoly money. Their payroll numbers are ludicrous. $380 million for 2023 as it currently stands (the Yankees are second at $248 million for perspective) which doesn't even include the massive tax bill he will incur. It is estimated to be around $110 million so he is committed to almost HALF A BILLION dollars for 2023 alone. Insane.
    Don't get me started, The fact he's not in jail says a great deal about equal justice in this country. I've always had a fondness for the Mets, but not since that scoundrel started throwing around his ill begotten gains. This article is a good one:
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...steven-a-cohen

Carlos Correa’s career highlight reel for the Giants:

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Judge signs with the Yankees. 9 years and $360 million. And by Judge, I mean Aaron Judge not Arson Judge who signed with the Giants yesterday.
    So they had Judge for a few hours, and now they had Correa for about a week. Baby steps for the Giants.

Demented and sad, but social, right?

All I’m saying is, you better not spend half a billion dollars on payroll and then finish second and lose in the wild card round.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Steve Cohen can buy you a place.
    Apparently second place

All true, but (a) they will probably draw well over 3 million in attendance, (b) SNY will be able to raise advertising rates, and (c) for the moment, they own the back pages. And they might win 105 if everyone stays healthy; fewer games against Washington and Miami will be offset by games against the AL Central.
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 12-22-2022 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    All true, but (a) they will probably draw well over 3 million in attendance, (b) SNY will be able to raise advertising rates, and (c) for the moment, they own the back pages. And they might win 105 if everyone stays healthy; fewer games against Washington and Miami will be offset by games against the AL Central.
    As the Dodgers showed this year and the Giants last year, that probably gets you about an 12-15% chance of winning the World Series with the crapshoot that the playoffs are. Even if you get a bye to the round of 8 teams, with the home field advantage in 2 or 3 rounds, maybe the chances go up to 20%? But again - the money probably produces lots of returns in terms of fans, advertising revenue, concession/apparel sales, etc.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    As the Dodgers showed this year and the Giants last year, that probably gets you about an 12-15% chance of winning the World Series with the crapshoot that the playoffs are. Even if you get a bye to the round of 8 teams, with the home field advantage in 2 or 3 rounds, maybe the chances go up to 20%? But again - the money probably produces lots of returns in terms of fans, advertising revenue, concession/apparel sales, etc.
    That is true but what strikes me is just how out of proportion it is to the rest of the league. Cohen is $150 mil in payroll over the luxury tax threshold. To put that in perspective there are 16 teams whose payroll is less than the amount the Mets are over the luxury tax. Every team in the league could double their payroll and the Mets would still have the 6th highest payroll.

I love baseball but the competitive balance across the league flat out sucks.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

That is true but what strikes me is just how out of proportion it is to the rest of the league. Cohen is $150 mil in payroll over the luxury tax threshold. To put that in perspective there are 16 teams whose payroll is less than the amount the Mets are over the luxury tax. Every team in the league could double their payroll and the Mets would still have the 6th highest payroll.

FBI MOST WANTED LIST!

1) Daniel Snyder owner of the Washington Commanders.
    2) Steve Cohen owner of the NY Mets.
    3) Houston Astros sign stealing champs.

The Mets with #2 and the former shortstop, Carlos Correra of the #3 Astros.
    But I would have taken him for our Cardinal shortstop.

Strange to see the Dodgers not participating in any of this. I assume they’re saving the big check for when Otani hits the market.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    FBI MOST WANTED LIST!

1) Daniel Snyder owner of the Washington Commanders.
    2) Steve Cohen owner of the NY Mets.
    3) Houston Astros sign stealing champs.

The Mets with #2 and the former shortstop, Carlos Correra of the #3 Astros.
    But I would have taken him for our Cardinal shortstop.
    And I am thrilled with no. 2 as our owner. Especially after the wasteland years of the Wilpons.

But how often does the highest payroll win the World Series??

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    But how often does the highest payroll win the World Series??
    Not very often.

As a Yankees fan, I find it humorous that I spent years hearing people complain that the Yankees were just buying the World Series - blah, blah, blah.

Now that it’s the Mets? Crickets.

Not very often.

As a Yankees fan, I find it humorous that I spent years hearing people complain that the Yankees were just buying the World Series - blah, blah, blah.

Because we are lovable (The Amazins) and our fan base isn’t entitled like those in the Bronx, maybe. 😉

Stating the obvious, the Yankees have 27 WS titles and the Mets 2. If they were to win 3 in the next 4-5 years then the complaints would start.

Third time may be the charm for the Giants. They have reportedly reached an agreement with Conforto.

Now it’s the Mets’ turn to express concern over something that showed up in Correa’s physical.

There are plenty of creative solutions that could be used to allocate injury risk, but it’s unlikely that Boras will agree to anything like that. So Cohen and Eppler have a decision to make.