Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    A bowl game against a P5 opponent is best for the program.
    THIS ^^^^^ - and I don't care how good Tulane is...THIS ^^^ is true.

Found this language in the ACC weekly release: "The ACC’s current bowl lineup through 2025 includes the Cheez-It Bowl, Duke’s Mayo Bowl, Wasabi Fenway Bowl, Military Bowl Presented by Peraton, New Era Pinstripe Bowl, San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl, TaxSlayer Gator Bowl and Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl. In addition, the ACC will send a team to the Outback Bowl if the league’s opponent in a non-semifinal Capital One Orange Bowl is from the Big Ten. The league will also send a team to either the Gasparilla Bowl or Birmingham Bowl on an annual basis."

Weekly release: https://theacc.com/documents/2022/8/...ly_Release.pdf

Page 9 lists the bowls and does not include the Dallas SERVPRO/First Responders Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    THIS ^^^^^ - and I don't care how good Tulane is...THIS ^^^ is true.
    That would be nice, but after the insane season we've had, I'm not going to be upset about playing anyone. I still suspect Nina will find a way to bump us up the food chain a bit...Elko just accomplished three seasons' work in one year.

I've seen 2 predictions for Gasparilla, one against Marshall and one against Uconn. The only ACC team currently picked for a "lower tier" bowl before Duke is Syracuse for the Fenway bowl.

Some projections:

Yahoo: Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa) v. Marshall

ESPN:
    Bonagura: Sun Bowl (El Paso) v. UCLA
    Schlabach: Belk Bowl (Charlotte) v. Maryland

CBS: Holiday Bowl (San Diego) v. Oregon

College Football News: Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa) v. Marshall

Athlon: Military Bowl (Annapolis) v. Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Some projections:

Yahoo: Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa) v. Marshall

ESPN:
    Bonagura: Sun Bowl (El Paso) v. UCLA
    Schlabach: Belk Bowl (Charlotte) v. Maryland

CBS: Holiday Bowl (San Diego) v. Oregon

College Football News: Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa) v. Marshall

Athlon: Military Bowl (Annapolis) v. Cincinnati
    I'm pretty sure the loser of the ACCCG will go to the holiday bowl. In any event, we're behind Clemson, UNC, FSU, NCSU, ND and probably Pitt, maybe Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I'm pretty sure the loser of the ACCCG will go to the holiday bowl. In any event, we're behind Clemson, UNC, FSU, NCSU, ND and probably Pitt, maybe Louisville.
    Does our better conference record (and in the case of Louisville also overall record) get us priority over Louisville and NCSU?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Does our better conference record (and in the case of Louisville also overall record) get us priority over Louisville and NCSU?
    Only as much as the fact that Duke plays in the (perceived at least) much weaker Coastal. NCSU has wins over FSU and UNC, that alone puts them ahead of Duke. I think Louisville has more wins over teams with winning records than Duke but I may be mistaken on that. I think the rankings are thus:

Clemson
    UNC
    FSU
    ND (for sake of bowl consideration)
    NCSU
    Pitt
    Lville
    Wake
    Duke
    Syracuse

They're going to look at SOS, overall record and brand appeal to some extent. you could switch Wake and Duke but I don't know how much that changes things. They also consider who went where last year as they usually want fresh matchups for bowl games.

McMurphy/Action: Duke/UCLA in El Paso: https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/...=BrettMcMurphy

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    McMurphy/Action: Duke/UCLA in El Paso: https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/...=BrettMcMurphy
    decent mid tier bowl with a name opponent...I think Nina could get behind this...

The Jake Bobo Bowl

Thanks! This is really helpful. How does the revenue split go? I did a quick google search and it looks like after expenses (unclear how that is defined), all ACC schools split revenues evenly? Does "expenses" include "buying unsold tickets from our allocation?" I believe some other conferences let the schools keep a certain percentage before throwing it into the split pool. If Duke gets to keep some of the revenues, then there is a huge difference between the middle group and the bottom group. If they don't , then there is a difference from a prestige factor but otherwise I don't care as much.

That extra money would be well used to give some of our assistant coaches a raise so this isn't like the Goldsmith era where our great coordinators bail after one great year (though I think/hope Elko > Goldsmith).
    Always an interesting point. The ACC shares bowl revenues, so theoretically we make more money by not going to a bowl because we are responsible for paying (considerable) expenses going to a bowl (not that anyone cares).
    Yes, I think we are also on the line for unsold tickets which we committed to take. Again, Nina will not mind absorbing this if need be, though I do recommend buying tickets even if not attending just as a show of solidarity...

What we don't know and won't know is what incentives may exist in Elko's contract...if there are any, I bet he's met them. At this point, I do not see assistants' salaries as being an issue...Nina knows what she's gotten herself into, it's been a rousing success, I'm sure everyone from Vinnie Price on down recognizes the important (ironically or not) of football right now.

The Jake Bobo Bowl
    And Jeff Faris is the UCLA TE coach.

Interesting article with some specifics from the El Paso newspaper: https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sp...e/69682426007/

- OrState as 5th Pac-12 provided USC to CFP
    - UCLA as 5th Pac-12 if USC not in CFP
    - 1:15 pm call w/ ACC on Sunday -- presume that 1:15 pm El Paso time.
    - Sun with Pinstripe and NYC for ACC team

Interesting article with some specifics from the El Paso newspaper: https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sp...e/69682426007/

- OrState as 5th Pac-12 provided USC to CFP
    - UCLA as 5th Pac-12 if USC not in CFP
    - 1:15 pm call w/ ACC on Sunday -- presume that 1:15 pm El Paso time.
    - Sun with Pinstripe and NYC for ACC team
    good info. Glad we have a shot at a decent bowl...

Sorry if this has already been posted, but one thing you can do to help the prospects of going to the bowl you are hoping for us to preregister for tickets:

https://goduke.evenue.net/cgi-bin/nc...duke-athletics

You won't be charged until we are selected (so you can preregister for as many bowls as you are likely to attend without worrying about getting charged for more than one set of ticket), and good presales can help with negotiating a better bowl appearance!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Sorry if this has already been posted, but one thing you can do to help the prospects of going to the bowl you are hoping for us to preregister for tickets:

https://goduke.evenue.net/cgi-bin/nc...duke-athletics

You won't be charged until we are selected (so you can preregister for as many bowls as you are likely to attend without worrying about getting charged for more than one set of ticket), and good presales can help with negotiating a better bowl appearance!
    I would be interested in knowing where in each stadium the tickets are before I buy, since I might actually go if the bowl is close by. For example, it seemed like the Duke tickets for the Pinstripe some years ago were not great, so we bought better seats on our own...hate to go to the expense of attending only to sit low down near the goal line.

McMurphy/Action updated projections: https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/...=BrettMcMurphy

Still showing Duke/UCLA in the Sun.

McMurphy/Action updated projections: https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/...=BrettMcMurphy

Still showing Duke/UCLA in the Sun.
    isn't this McMurphy the guy who got lobotomized?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    isn't this McMurphy the guy who got lobotomized ...
    I've never seen that movie. Our man McMurph said he will update his predictions one more time after the champ games are completed.

For now:

Orange: Clemson/Ohio St
    Tampa: SoCar/ND
    Gator: MissSt/Pitt
    Sun: Duke/UCLA
    Charlotte: NCSU/Iowa
    Cheez-It: FSU/Okla
    NYC: Syr/Minn
    SD: UNC/Oregon
    Annapolis: Wake/UCF
    Fenway: Cincy/L'ville

If his predictions play out, then Friday Dec 30 would look like this (EST):

NCSU/Iowa -- Noon
    Duke/UCLA -- 2 pm
    MissSt/Pitt -- 3:30 pm
    Toledo/Wyoming - 4:30 pm

That's not Johnny Football on New Year's Eve in Atlanta. Still, a big-name school ... nice game-ending time for any folks gathering out at happy hour on a Friday ...
    Last edited by -jk; 11-30-2022 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag