Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    A lower level bowl against a sneaky good opponent with low prestige in a non-destination city and a stadium Duke has already played in a bunch of times before. Just the worst case scenario all around. Sun Bowl v UCLA, Mayo Bowl v Maryland, and Pinstripe Bowl v Minnesota would all have been so much better.

Still. Few of us could have predicted any bowl game a few months ago. And the DC area should be good for Duke fan turnout. Let's win it!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    While I was hoping more than the Military Bowl, UCF is an excellent opponent.

LGD!!
    yes, double whammy...very good opponent without much reputation...the bad double whammy.
    But, never thought we'd have this discussion...in Aug, Sept...

I guess Nina's schmoozin' didn't work out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    A lower level bowl against a sneaky good opponent with low prestige in a non-destination city and a stadium Duke has already played in a bunch of times before. Just the worst case scenario all around. Sun Bowl v UCLA, Mayo Bowl v Maryland, and Pinstripe Bowl v Minnesota would all have been so much better.

Still. Few of us could have predicted any bowl game a few months ago. And the DC area should be good for Duke fan turnout. Let's win it!
    Agreed, but a 9 win season will erase all those negatives. Let's just win!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    yes, double whammy...very good opponent without much reputation...the bad double whammy.
    But, never thought we'd have this discussion...in Aug, Sept...

Disagree. UCF is well known, in part for being deserving twice in a row for playoff consideration and getting shafted. They might not be a P5 team, but they are a P5 program, and most folks know that. Duke will, for sure.
    Also, they did something Duke couldn't this year. They beat GT.

I watched their conference championship game against Tulane. They lost, but they are fun to watch. It's a good matchup.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ... UCF is well known ...
    1936 national champions v. 2017 national champions. Pretty much a match made in heaven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_D..._football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_U..._football_team

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    If the Military Bowl is true, she did as much as she could:

Orange/Gator/Mayonnaise/Sun/Holiday/Pinstripe = Clemson/FSU/NCSU/Pitt/UNC/ND in some combination
    Military = Duke
    Fenway and lower = Syracuse/Louisville/Wake in some combination

I can't argue with the above on both resume merit or economic impact. If we beat Pitt or had a different officiating crew against UNC, we would have gone to the Sun or Pinstripe. I'm really excited to go if the roads are clear of snow. I can drive back and forth in one day with a 2PM start. The main parking lot at Navy is great for tailgating, and downtown Annapolis is a long walk from the stadium but has a nice timewarp effect. If you live on the East Coast, find a way to get there and support the team. Consider it an investment for the next time we go 8-4 in 2024 or 2025. It's an easy commute from BWI to Annapolis.