Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, we'll get what we get and we'll be happy about it because just about no one saw us going to a bowl back in August. Maybe Nina can wine and dine us up a notch...
    Damn skippy. Some of us would have been excited about the 5-6 side door. To be in a position of wanting for even more just then getting in legit fashion is wonderful.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If planning for Dec 17 Fenway ...

I've made many trips to Boston in the past several years. For what it's worth, the hotel prices for the Dec 16-18 weekend are very good right now (I look at Hilton) compared to many other times in the recent past, yet the Amtrak fares up the East coast are much higher than many other times that i have encountered recently. In case anyone is looking to make plans that can be canceled ...

If planning for Dec 30 El Paso ...

The Puente Negro Tattoo Parlor in Ciudad Juarez is running a 2-for-1 special, but you have to pay and book by December 1, which is before the bowl selection show.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    The Puente Negro Tattoo Parlor in Ciudad Juarez is running a 2-for-1 special, but you have to pay and book by December 1, which is before the bowl selection show.
    Puentenegro is where you go if you have serious dinero.

https://www.facebook.com/puentenegrotattoo

Mine was cheaper, until the infection took hold.

I'm going to be Debbie Downer here for some of you, but the Fenway Bowl is right in the middle of Duke's exam week. There's a reasonable chance we turn down that bowl if we're offered. The same might apply to the Tampa bowl pre-Christmas, which is only a couple days after it.

Duke link: https://registrar.duke.edu/calendars...exam-schedules

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I'm going to be Debbie Downer here for some of you, but the Fenway Bowl is right in the middle of Duke's exam week. There's a reasonable chance we turn down that bowl if we're offered. The same might apply to the Tampa bowl pre-Christmas, which is only a couple days after it.

Zero chance of Duke turning down a bowl game unless we simultaneously announce we’re dropping down to FCS and joining the Patriot League.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Zero chance of Duke turning down a bowl game unless we simultaneously announce we’re dropping down to FCS and joining the Patriot League.
    It's not a default slot. We know some ACC team is going to Birmingham/Dallas/Tampa. There are several ACC teams that don't have exams that late in December (e.g. NCSU). It's not unreasonable to think Vincent Price might veto that particular one in favor of another. Tammany Hall in Greensboro does broker these spots to some extent.

It's not a default slot. We know some ACC team is going to Birmingham/Dallas/Tampa. There are several ACC teams that don't have exams that late in December (e.g. NCSU). It's not unreasonable to think Vincent Price might veto that particular one in favor of another. Tammany Hall in Greensboro does broker these spots to some extent.
    You raise an interesting point and I'm guessing it is a consideration. There is probably a bit of a conjoint analysis going on where we are pushing to avoid Boston but would do so under certain circumstances but not others - we will lobby hard and if we can get a roughly equal bowl instead that would be great. If we had to sink down to a really awful bowl, then we might do Fenway. Winning tomorrow would give us a much better position to negotiate from.

Yesterday I booked a refundable hotel room in Boston so I am hoping that that is where we end up. As someone else noted upthread, rooms are pretty reasonable. That is likely the only game I can go to so I am hoping it works out, but based on your good point, I'm guessing it is not likely.

You first spoke of Duke just “turning down” this particular bowl invite, which to me at least implied Duke would go nowhere. This follow-up comment is closer to the truth that the ACC has tiered groupings of bowls and of teams, and works at finding good team-bowl matches. Duke wanting to try to get away from exam week is reasonable; Duke choosing to go nowhere is not.

As of Nov 23, McMurphy has

Orange - Clem
    Cheezit - ND
    Gator - FSU

El Paso - WFU
    Charlotte - Pitt
    Pinstripe - Lville

Holiday - UNC
    Annapolis - NCSU
    Gasparilla - Syr

Fenway - Duke

Miami is a 6.5 point underdog playing Pitt tonight; Miami could get eligible.

Right now, it doesn't seem we really deserve to leapfrog any of the other ACC teams. If we pummel WFU and if Pitt loses to Miami, maybe we can be said to deserve a better bowl than Pitt.

My understanding is that Duke can help its chances of going to one bowl over another by offering a higher ticket sales guarantee to one — buying your way in.

I am fairly certain Duke is not the only ACC school in this boat and that the ACC/bowls/schools have an understanding on the issue. Duke won't get picked by a bowl they can't attend. This isn't a new thing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Right now, it doesn't seem we really deserve to leapfrog any of the other ACC teams. If we pummel WFU and if Pitt loses to Miami, maybe we can be said to deserve a better bowl than Pitt.
    I think you are mostly correct here. The results last night probably locked one of UNC or NCSU in Charlotte against Maryland if possible. We will have 1 quality win--Wake Forest--if we win today. If we lose, we can argue which of the really bad ACC teams or Northwestern was our best win. I think we're trending toward the contingent spot regardless of what we do today, and I'm ecstatic with that outcome compared to last year. Whether I can attend the game is always an undercurrent in my thoughts (just like Duke getting placed in Greensboro in March since I got mine with a 30% off promo code).

Annapolis should be v. the AAC champ. Don't ask me which team. We might get this one if it's Duke v. Syracuse as the choice, particularly if Syracuse loses today.
    Fenway should be v. Cincinnati because U Clifton uses the quarter system. I think Wake gets this spot because they will be done with exams 1 week earlier. Syracuse has the same exam problem as Duke.

? Bowl and location - Duke or Syracuse.

Pittsburgh is slapping Miami around. Miami will finish 5-7.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

ACC bowl spots fall into this order more or less:

Bowl/Date/Payout
    Capital One Orange Bowl Fri., Dec. 30, 2022 CFP Pool split
    Cheez-It Bowl Thurs. Dec. 29, 2022 $6,071,760
    TaxSlayer Gator Bowl Fri., Dec. 30, 2022 $5,350,000
    San Diego County Holiday Bowl Wed., Dec. 28, 2022 $6,532,700

Duke’s Mayo Bowl Fri., Dec. 30, 2022 $4,780,461
    Pinstripe Bowl Thurs., Dec. 29, 2022 $4,400,000
    Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl Fri., Dec. 30, 2022 $4,550,000

Military Bowl Presented by Peraton Wed., Dec. 28, 2022 $2,066,990
    TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl Tues., Dec. 27, 2022 $1,374,545
    Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl Fri., Dec. 23, 2022 $1,125,000
    Wasabi Fenway Bowl Sat., Dec. 17, 2022 $???

So after today’s results, I believe the top 4 group will be Clemson/FSU/ND/UNC. FSU will go to one of the Florida bowls, ND probably to the other, and UNC to SD.

I believe the middle 3 will be filled by Pitt/State/Duke.

That leaves, Louisville, Wake, and Syracuse for the bottom group and the Fenway bowl not getting an ACC team.

If for some reason Duke gets ranked down lower, I bet we would go to the Military bowl and not Birmingham or Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    ACC bowl spots fall into this order more or less:

Bowl/Date/Payout
    Capital One Orange Bowl Fri., Dec. 30, 2022 CFP Pool split
    Cheez-It Bowl Thurs. Dec. 29, 2022 $6,071,760
    TaxSlayer Gator Bowl Fri., Dec. 30, 2022 $5,350,000
    San Diego County Holiday Bowl Wed., Dec. 28, 2022 $6,532,700

Duke’s Mayo Bowl Fri., Dec. 30, 2022 $4,780,461
    Pinstripe Bowl Thurs., Dec. 29, 2022 $4,400,000
    Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl Fri., Dec. 30, 2022 $4,550,000

Military Bowl Presented by Peraton Wed., Dec. 28, 2022 $2,066,990
    TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl Tues., Dec. 27, 2022 $1,374,545
    Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl Fri., Dec. 23, 2022 $1,125,000
    Wasabi Fenway Bowl Sat., Dec. 17, 2022 $???

So after today’s results, I believe the top 4 group will be Clemson/FSU/ND/UNC. FSU will go to one of the Florida bowls, ND probably to the other, and UNC to SD.

I believe the middle 3 will be filled by Pitt/State/Duke.

That leaves, Louisville, Wake, and Syracuse for the bottom group and the Fenway bowl not getting an ACC team.

If for some reason Duke gets ranked down lower, I bet we would go to the Military bowl and not Birmingham or Tampa.
    Great breakdown BW, thanks!

Who is going bowling...

I am sure you can find this information in a more "professional" site but since I started keeping this tally I might as well list a final tally...

There are now 81 teams with 6 wins, but JMU is not eligible since this is their first year in the FBS division, so 80 teams and 2 slots left.

Army is 5-6 and still plays Navy on 12/10.
    Buffalo is 5-6 and still play a ppd game with Akron on 12/2.
    New Mexico State is 5-6 and had a game with San Jose State ppd but the game is not rescheduled.

These are the three teams that would possibly get the last 2 slots. There are also 16 teams at 5-7 if two of these three teams do not get to 6 wins.

The conference break down is

SEC - 11 eligible teams
    ACC (including ND) - 10
    Big 10 - 9
    Big 12 - 8
    Sunbelt - 8 (without JMU)
    Pac 12 - 7
    AAC - 7
    MWC - 7
    Conf USA - 5
    MAC - 5 (with Buffalo still possible)
    Independents - 3 (with Army and New Mexico St still possible)

I am guessing that Nina King will schmooze us into an attractive bowl...it isn't all done strictly by W-L records...she's been completely on top of football ever since she took over from White. So hopefully one of those mid tier bowls, though the payouts don't particularly matter since revenue is shared within the ACC.

Here is one of those "more professional" sites with some added information about filling the last few bowl slots.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bowl-pr...111457428.html

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Here is one of those "more professional" sites with some added information about filling the last few bowl slots.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bowl-pr...111457428.html
    College Football News is pretty good and they also have us going to the Gasparilla Bowl vs Marshall...might have liked a higher profile opponent, but it's all good at this point. Still could see Nina bumping us up a notch.