Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We’re Going!! Duke Bowl Selection Discussion

Okay, we’re in! What a fantastic and welcome surprise. Congrats to Coach Elko, his staff, and out student/athletes.

Now that we’re eligible, we can start thinking of destinations and opponents. Let’s start dreaming, folks!

So — where are we going and against whom shall we play?

Bowl eligible!

Congrats Mike Elko and the entire team! LGD GTHcGTH 9f!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

hell yeah it's duke football!
    April 1

Hoping for a bowl game between Christmas and New Year’s. It’s within reach if we can get to 7 or maybe 8 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Hoping for a bowl game between Christmas and New Year’s. It’s within reach if we can get to 7 or maybe 8 wins.
    I say Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium on 12/29.

Runner-up: Military Bowl in Annapolis on 12/28.

We probably want to stay away from the Fenway Bowl (bet you can’t guess where it’s being played ) on 12/17, but it would be cool to see Duke play there. Any bowl is an accomplishment though and I’ll be happy wherever this team goes to play!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

Runner-up: Military Bowl in Annapolis on 12/28.
    I’m in if we go to the Military Bowl.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I’m in if we go to the Military Bowl.
    You should be an honorary captain!

I see that the "Bowl Eligible ?!??!" thread is closed, but I still wanted to keep track of who is in and who is not. This becomes important because it will define who Duke plays. So after this weekend I will still update the stats and add them here.

With that in mind there are 38 teams with 6 or more wins including 6 ACC teams:

Clemson Tigers
    North Carolina Tar Heels
    NC State Wolfpack
    Syracuse Orange
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons
    Duke Blue Devils

There are another 26 teams with 5 wins including:

Florida State Seminoles
    Louisville Cardinals
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish

( I am keeping ND in the discussion since they are listed with ACC teams on some bowls)

There are 11 teams with 7 or more losses.

It is a good thing that Clemson is currently one of the 4 teams in the CFP because that bumps the other ACC teams up a bowl game.

With locations and dates (since I had to look up a few due to the constant name changes):

1. College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected

Capital One Orange Bowl
    Highest-ranked available ACC team, if it’s not the ACC Champion.

First Tier

– Cheez-It Bowl vs Big 12 ORLANDO 12/29
    – Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs Big Ten CHARLOTTE 12/30
    – Fenway Bowl vs American Athletic BOSTON 12/17
    – Military Bowl Presented by Peraton vs American Athletic ANNAPOLIS 12/27
    – New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs Big Ten THE BRONX 12/29
    – ReliaQuest Bowl vs SEC (or Big Ten) TAMPA 1/2
    – San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs Pac-12 SAN DIEGO 12/28
    – TaxSlayer Gator Bowl vs SEC JACKSONVILLE 12/30
    – Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl vs Pac-12 EL PASO 12/30

Second Tier

– Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl vs AAC, Pac-12 or SEC ST. PETE 12/23
    – TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl vs SEC or AAC BIRMINGHAM 12/27
    – SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs SEC or AAC or Pac-12 DALLAS 12/27

I'm not sure what the pecking order is for these? So Fenway is much earlier than the others so gives us a lot less practice. Selfishly, I might be able to get up to Boston for that one and it would be cool to see a game in Fenway. Beggars can't be choosers but I really hope we avoid El Paso. I live a short subway ride from the Pinstripe Bowl but have a vacation planned for that week - aargh.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

– Military Bowl Presented by Peraton vs American Athletic ANNAPOLIS 12/27

Military Bowl is 12/28.
    Bob Green

I'm not sure how I missed this but I did not realize that the Continental Tire Bowl, Meineke Car Care Bowl, and Belk Bowl were the same bowl. I'd have told you the first two were still going (separately). Anyways, the Duke's Mayo Bowl is definitely the best option for me in terms of date and location but that will probably be tough if we are 3rd at best in the pecking order and nobody makes the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm not sure how I missed this but I did not realize that the Continental Tire Bowl, Meineke Car Care Bowl, and Belk Bowl were the same bowl. I'd have told you the first two were still going (separately). Anyways, the Duke's Mayo Bowl is definitely the best option for me in terms of date and location but that will probably be tough if we are 3rd at best in the pecking order and nobody makes the playoffs.
    It's possible if the former HOF Bowl takes an ACC team, meaning ND if they can. You can put the ACC teams into 2 tiers at this point.

Tier 1: Clemson, ND, UNC. I think you can assume ND will go 8-4 since they still have BC/@USC left.
    Tier 2: Everybody else with 6 wins today.

FSU might be the exception, particularly at 9-3. I feel pretty confident FSU is going to get a Florida bowl game. It benefits the ACC in terms of attendance and perception, and I'll argue they would beat UNC in Chapel Hill right now. Sagarin has Clemson #14, ND #15, FSU #16, and UNC #36.

Orange/Miami - Clemson or UNC by rule.
    Tampa (nee Outback/HOF) - No ACC team, ND, or FSU. Expect no ACC team.
    Orlando - FSU, ND, and UNC. FSU has not been here recently. ND has been here twice recently.
    That leaves Jacksonville, Charlotte, etc., and it's anybody's guess there. A surging Duke team would be better than slumping NCSU and Wake teams for Charlotte, but we really needed another 3,000 Duke fans at the game yesterday.
    Last edited by duke2x; 11-13-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    It's possible if the former HOF Bowl takes an ACC team, meaning ND if they can. You can put the ACC teams into 2 tiers at this point.

Tier 1: Clemson, ND, UNC. I think you can assume ND will go 8-4 since they still have BC/@USC left.
    Tier 2: Everybody else with 6 wins today.

FSU might be the exception, particularly at 9-3. I feel pretty confident FSU is going to get a Florida bowl game. It benefits the ACC in terms of attendance and perception, and I'll argue they would beat UNC in Chapel Hill right now. Sagarin has Clemson #14, ND #15, FSU #16, and UNC #36.

Orange/Miami - Clemson or UNC by rule.
    Tampa (nee Outback/HOF) - No ACC team, ND, or FSU. Expect no ACC team.
    Orlando - FSU, ND, and UNC. FSU has not been here recently. ND has been here twice recently.
    That leaves Jacksonville, Charlotte, etc., and it's anybody's guess there. A surging Duke team would be better than slumping NCSU and Wake teams for Charlotte, but we really needed another 3,000 Duke fans at the game yesterday.
    Sad part is, when we get to the final game and bowl committees are visiting we will be hosting Wake in a nearly-empty Wally Wade. Thanksgiving makes for even worse attendance.

Jerry Palm projects Duke vs Minnesota in the Pinstripe Bowl.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...s/predictions/
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jerry Palm projects Duke vs Minnesota in the Pinstripe Bowl.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...s/predictions/
    Sounds cold.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Sounds cold.
    Exactly why we need to beat Pitt on Saturday.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sad part is, when we get to the final game and bowl committees are visiting we will be hosting Wake in a nearly-empty Wally Wade. Thanksgiving makes for even worse attendance.
    I've got no doubt that any committee would be well aware of the date and the impact on the crowd. They will also look at Duke's recent bowl history, and they'll be aware that our fans showed up.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If I'd been Elko's agent, I'd have demanded that Duke simply never host a game during Thanksgiving week. With a small school, very small local alums, and few students with parents in the area....Duke should figure a way to never do this again.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    If I'd been Elko's agent, I'd have demanded that Duke simply never host a game during Thanksgiving week. With a small school, very small local alums, and few students with parents in the area...Duke should figure a way to never do this again.
    2018, 2019, 2021, 2022. Next year will be Pitt or Wake at home. The away ACC games are all rivalries that won't move at Duke's request.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    If I'd been Elko's agent, I'd have demanded that Duke simply never host a game during Thanksgiving week. With a small school, very small local alums, and few students with parents in the area...Duke should figure a way to never do this again.
    I'd rather play our last game in Wallace Wade in front of fewer fans than away vs a hostile crowd. There are way more advantages to playing at home than just the fans in the stands. Travel free, familiar locker room, familiar field, and while maybe smaller, the folks that do show up are cheering for you.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."