View Poll Results: Which will be the top 5 movies at the boxoffice this winter?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Nov 11)

0 0%
  • Strange World (Nov 23)

0 0%
  • The Fablemans (Nov 23)

0 0%

0 0%
  • Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (Dec 21)

0 0%
  • Babylon (Dec 23)

0 0%
  • M3gan (Jan 6)

0 0%
  • A Man Called Otto (Jan 13)

0 0%
  • Magic Mike's Last Dance (Feb 10)

0 0%
  • Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania (Feb 17)

0 0%
  • Field (all other films)

0 0%

What will be the top 5 movies of Winter 2022-23

After one false start a couple weeks ago, it is time for the winter movie poll. For folks who have not done this before, here is the 2021-22 and the 2019-20 threads on this topic.

You should know the rules by now. You pick the 5 movies (not 4, not 6, don't make me go all Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch on you) that you think will generate the most domestic (not international!!) boxoffice during the winter season. We are defining the season as November 4 to Feb 28th. You can pick any film released in that time frame. Yes, that is a long time, but it will give you a lot of interesting films to pick from. We will determine the winner based on boxoffice receipts from November 4 through March 30th. If we have not formally declared the winners before March 30th, the contest will end at that time.

Here are the films you will pick from
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Nov 11)
    Strange World (Nov 23)
    The Fablemans (Nov 23)
    Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (Dec 21)
    Babylon (Dec 23)
    M3gan (Jan 6)
    A Man Called Otto (Jan 13)
    Magic Mike's Last Dance (Feb 10)
    Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania (Feb 17)

Additionally, you can pick "field" and will be judged as having a correct pick if any other sleeper film finds their way into the top 5.

I know, I know... there are three mortal locks in there. You'd have to be insane to pick against any of them. Well, the contest will really come down to who can pick the last two. Good luck, everybody!

-Jason "as always, please post in this thread with your thoughts and ideas about your picks... the contest will close on November 4th so get those picks in promptly!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I am sure there is some prominent movie I missed and the field will be a sleeper brilliant pick... sorry, but I have been distracted lately and did not prep this as well as usual.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am sure there is some prominent movie I missed and the field will be a sleeper brilliant pick... sorry, but I have been distracted lately and did not prep this as well as usual.
    Looking at Udaman's previous list, I think the most prominent is John Wick 4, which it looks like people were expecting to be in the top 5.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I can only vote for one. Is this a browser problem, or a poll problem?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Well when Jason creates a new thread to fix it, he can add in John Wick
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Ya, poll not working.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

I'm an idiot and I forgot to check the box for the poll to allow multiple choice. Sheesh!! I will have to re-start the thread.

As for John Wick 4, it is a March release. There are several interesting films in March such as Creed 3, Dungeons and Dragons, Shazam 2, and John Wick 4... but we have never considered March to be part of winter. Heck, we have had some years where we did not even count February movies. So, because we have to cut things off at some point, I was gonna exclude the March flicks (even though we will be counting boxoffice during those weeks).

Now, here is an interesting idea... we could include March films but still cut off the count on March 30th. That would mean that if you, for example, picked Shazam 2 you would only get to use its boxoffice from opening day (March 17) through the 30th. Same with Wick, which opens on March 24... you'd get less than a full week of Wick.

It is sorta fun to think about, but I think we just go with the "must be released in Nov - Feb" and leave it at that. Ok?