Okay, help me out… Reese’s… how do you say it?

Okay, so I have always referred to those small peanut butter cup candies as “Ree-siz peanut butter cups”.

But today, a number of people, from Texas and Kentucky, referred to them as “ree-cee”. Like… “If you had a choice, do you pick a Twix or a Ree-cee?”

What on earth is going on here? Have I been saying this wrong my whole life? Is it possibly a regional thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Okay, so I have always referred to those small peanut butter cup candies as “Ree-siz peanut butter cups”.

But today, a number of people, from Texas and Kentucky, referred to them as “ree-cee”. Like… “If you had a choice, do you pick a Twix or a Ree-cee?”

What on earth is going on here? Have I been saying this wrong my whole life? Is it possibly a regional thing?
    Born and bred Texan here. Never heard “ree-cee” in my life.

I’ve heard it but not of years and never from adults. It’s a silly way to say it for younger people and eventually grow out of it. Also the “pieces” is also altered to rhyme becoming “ree-cee pee-cees.” I image it’s a Southern thing.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 10-26-2022 at 10:37 PM.

There's a reason why they call them Reese's Pieces. Because it rhymes.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Reesuhs Peesuhs
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

OP was referring to Reese’s Peanut butter cups not Reese’s Pieces, I believe. Important distinction.

Reese’s PB cups are delightful. Reese’s Pieces always makes me think of mallrats even though it was chocolate pretzels.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Reesuhs Peesuhs
    I see you E.T.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    OP was referring to Reese’s Peanut butter cups not Reese’s Pieces, I believe. Important distinction.

Reese’s PB cups are delightful. Reese’s Pieces always makes me think of mallrats even though it was chocolate pretzels.
    Yes, but even the peanut butter cups are called Ree-suz, not Ree-sees.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yes, but even the peanut butter cups are called Ree-suz, not Ree-sees.
    Not even that… they were dropping that last s. So ree-see. Singular, basically.

Get new friends?

Distinction is irrelevant as the Reese's part is pronounced the same way - it is the same brand so the rhyme is part of the origin story.

Though I do agree that the cups are much better than the pieces. If not for ET, pieces never would have lasted.

Get new friends?
    I agree. Anyone that says that needs to go away.

Reese is the name, one syllable. Add the possessive = REES ' UHZ.

never thought we'd dwell on the pronunciations of Kentuckians, but there's a first for everything. Seems like something of a black hole.

Born and bred Southerner and only ever heard it called a ree-see. The only time I’ve called it a Reeces or if someone else has its because you say cup after.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I don't say "Ree-cee Cup", but I have heard it used quite a bit in Piedmont NC. The pronunciation seems to be used much less now than when I was growing up. It has a nice flow to it. Southerners treat words as an art form first, then we get into what they mean and stuff.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Born and bred Southerner and only ever heard it called a ree-see. The only time I’ve called it a Reeces or if someone else has its because you say cup after.
    Same. We called it Rees-ee cups. But I can't pronounce the words "dog" and "ten" without adding extra syllables. So...

Okay, help me out… Reese’s… how do you say it?

This is that old joke, right?

It
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This is that old joke, right?

It
    No. The old joke is 'how do you SPELL it?' The answer, of course, is 'eye, tee.'