Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Good enough to beat Duke twice in the last month of the season (once at Cameron) and get to the national championship game.
    Teams can get hot just before and during the Tournament. Doesn’t mean they are actually a great team that can sustain that into the next season, even if they bring everybody back. Perhaps that’s what we’re seeing with UNC.

Lol at the Tar Hols

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Teams can get hot just before and during the Tournament. Doesn’t mean they are actually a great team that can sustain that into the next season, even if they bring everybody back. Perhaps that’s what we’re seeing with UNC.
    Could be. Also possible that some teams just take time to gel. UNC certainly looked legit to me at the end of last season. Right now they’re a trash fire, but there’s a lot of road still ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Could be. Also possible that some teams just take time to gel. UNC certainly looked legit to me at the end of last season. Right now they’re a trash fire, but there’s a lot of road still ahead.
    Yeah, Davis was in his first year as head coach so he was figuring things out as well- plus Manek became a major contributor but took some time as a transfer. I do think UNC’s shooting was better than expected in the NCAAs, but may have offset some earlier struggles. At the end of the day, UNC’s parts were better than the first half of the season but probably not as good as the tournament players we saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Not for nothing but UNC’s travel schedule over the last two weeks has been bonkers insane. That’s not intended to gloss over their apparent deficiencies on defense or their seemingly-brewing only-one-ball problem, but those guys’ tanks have GOT to be running on empty.
    That's fair point, and it's entirely possible that had Duke played that schedule we would have lost all four games too. Two true road games, the last one played without Bacot and he wasn't fully healthy against Indiana either. I'm having some serious flashbacks to last season where I reveled in their misery culminating in our 30 point beatdown of them in Chapel Hell, but am fully aware of their talent level and the fact that they can turn it around.

Still, for the time being I'm going to enjoy it. They started off ranked #1 and had more experienced talent than anyone. Football team was at one point 9-1 and ranked in the top 15 and thinking they had an outside shot at the CFP.

UNC had 6 assists on 24 made baskets for an assist rate of 24%. That is shockingly low. They had 0 assists in the final 18 minutes of the first half. The Heels only had 4 offensive rebounds.

If you cannot pass for baskets and cannot get second chance buckets, you are gonna be awful on offense. It is kinda a miracle that the Heels got to 72 points in this game.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    UNC had 6 assists on 24 made baskets for an assist rate of 24%. That is shockingly low. They had 0 assists in the final 18 minutes of the first half. The Heels only had 4 offensive rebounds.

If you cannot pass for baskets and cannot get second chance buckets, you are gonna be awful on offense. It is kinda a miracle that the Heels got to 72 points in this game.
    Not a math major but wouldn't that be a 25% assist rate?

Agree with the rest of your point...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not a math major but wouldn't that be a 25% assist rate?

Agree with the rest of your point...
    It's unc math.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's unc math.
    Don't insult Jason like that...

I think we're just now seeing that this team is what they were most of last year, an average team, on the bubble of making the tournament, that did a Syracuse and got hot at the right time. I think the added fuel of being able to spoil K's last season made them play incredibly loose and with nothing to lose, no pressure and everything to gain.

Thats all gone and one of their most consistent assets on offense from last season is also gone, and you still have the same team that barely made the tourney last year, that now have the burden of expectation, and nothing to spoil. It can change come January, but I wouldn't be surprised if UNC is in the exact same position as last year. If they can't close the deal against Duke at home this time, then it may be NIT at best for the heels.

And you hate to see it

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

The dictionary definition of schadenfreude

From ESPN:

North Carolina is only the sixth team to go from preseason No. 1 to unranked since at least the 1961-62 season (most recently Michigan State during the 2019-20 season).

Of that group, the Tar Heels had the swiftest exit from the poll to start the season (four weeks) except for UCLA in 1965-66. The Bruins fell out of the poll after just three weeks back when only 10 teams were ranked.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    From ESPN:
    I believe Duke had something to do with UCLA dropping out of the top 10 in 65-66. Isn’t that the year Duke beat them in back to back games - one in Cameron and one in Charlotte? (As a teenager, I was able to get tickets in Charlotte for my dad and myself as our first of many Duke games to attend.)

From ESPN:
    North Carolina still got one vote in the AP Top 25, which confirms that Jay Bilas is on the committee.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    North Carolina still got one vote in the AP Top 25, which confirms that Jay Bilas is on the committee.
    Somehow 22 coaches agreed with that AP voter. That's a total joke.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

But what if UNC had made one more shot? And then several more shots after that? And their opponents made less shots? Then it's a different conversation!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Somehow 22 coaches agreed with that AP voter. That's a total joke.
    Aren't these "points" not "votes?" I.e., five points could occur because of a single voter voting a team 21st.

Once again, College Poll Tracker takes all the mystery out of AP voting. Sorry to replace your conspiracy theory with a different conspiracy theory...

apdavidthompson.jpg

I included the picture because it seemed cruel to PackMan97 and other NCSU fans to just say there's a guy named David Thompson continuing to embrace the dark side when everyone else saw the light. Also, I have questions.

1. Did he change his picture over the weekend just for this occasion, or does Troll Mode his natural pose?
    2. If a picture like this is on his driver's license, do cops automatically issue speeding tickets?
    3. Why is he in Asheville working for a Fayetteville paper? Did his opinions get him exiled?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Once again, College Poll Tracker takes all the mystery out of AP voting. Sorry to replace your conspiracy theory with a different conspiracy theory...

apdavidthompson.jpg

I included the picture because it seemed cruel to PackMan97 and other NCSU fans to just say there's a guy named David Thompson continuing to embrace the dark side when everyone else saw the light. Also, I have questions.

1. Did he change his picture over the weekend just for this occasion, or does Troll Mode his natural pose?
    2. If a picture like this is on his driver's license, do cops automatically issue speeding tickets?
    3. Why is he in Asheville working for a Fayetteville paper? Did his opinions get him exiled?
    clearly a punchable face...I see he's part of the now seriously pathetic Gannett system which barely qualifies one as a journalist (our local Gannett rag is now down to 12 pages several days/week).

Of that group, the Tar Heels had the swiftest exit from the poll to start the season (four weeks) except for UCLA in 1965-66.
    That's unfair to Carolina. They were #1 in the Week 3 poll. They did the exit in just two weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Aren't these "points" not "votes?" I.e., five points could occur because of a single voter voting a team 21st.
    ... or one voter (Hubert Davis) may have voted them 4th!
    Last edited by House P; 12-05-2022 at 05:04 PM. Reason: It looks like Hubert doesn't get a vote. The ACC's representative in the coaches poll is Jim Boeheim