Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Other Schools MBB: 2022-23

Starting this thread for the year with some of the first outside news of the preseason that would be of interest to us.

First, Oscar Tschiebwe is apparently having a "minor" knee procedure. We all know that anything involving knees can be a lingering issue, so here's hoping it actually is minor and one of the game's brightest stars will be good to go this season (even if he does play for the bad guys, it's really hard not to like Oscar).

In potentially a longer term issue, Nova's star freshman Cam Whitmore had thumb surgery. Whitmore will supposedly be "reevaluated" in November, and that language tends to imply the timetable has the earliest possible return at a few weeks after that "reevaluation." Whitmore has rocketed up draft boards of late and is seen as a potential Top 5 pick... so for those who always think top prospects should "shut it down" at any sign of injury, this could be a situation to watch.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Purdue head coach Matt Painter says what we all know to be true at Big Ten Media Day... good for you, Matt!!

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/st...45635477422081
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Purdue head coach Matt Painter says what we all know to be true at Big Ten Media Day... good for you, Matt!!

That's gold. People underestimate the challenge of being a sports journalist when all of your sources have literally zero incentive to be open, honest, and transparent about things behind the scenes. This takes me back...

Painter is in the best shape of his life!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    People underestimate the challenge of being a sports journalist when all of your sources have literally zero incentive to be open, honest, and transparent about things behind the scenes.
    And then there is Josh Pastner, one of the great talkers of all time.

He was asked what he looks for in the portal today at ACC Media Day. His answer is... well... unique --

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

He was asked what he looks for in the portal today at ACC Media Day. His answer is... well... unique --

Someone turn that ramble into the ad for GT that gets played during their games!

^That sounds like a book report written by someone who hasn’t read the book- rambling nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Someone turn that ramble into the ad for GT that gets played during their games!
    A rambling wreck indeed!

I hope none of the writers were on deadline. During my time at Duke there were some players and coaches, both at Duke and elsewhere, where you would just put a tape recorder in front of them and let them talk, and you were going to be able to pull a few quotes from it. I believe one year for April Fool's in The Chronicle we put in a made-up story full of coaching cliches and non-sense.

All that Pastner talk about brilliant STEM kids and nothing about Javaris Crittenton?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    For those that might be interested, Amazon Kindle has the book, The Big East: Inside the Most Entertaining and Influential Conference in College Basketball History, by Dana O'Neil on sale today for $1.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-East-Ente...l-text&sr=1-42

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    For those that might be interested, Amazon Kindle has the book, The Big East: Inside the Most Entertaining and Influential Conference in College Basketball History, by Dana O'Neil on sale today for $1.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-East-Ente...l-text&sr=1-42
    Is there a typo in the title?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Is there a typo in the title?
    No. Just conceptual error.

Rooting for this guy to have a good season after plenty of trouble (and for him to stay out of trouble).

Ex-top recruit Emoni Bates has 30 in Eastern Michigan debut

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...michigan-debut

**by the way, do we have a thread for other teams regular season?

Bumping this thread since others were looking for it…

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Rooting for this guy to have a good season after plenty of trouble (and for him to stay out of trouble).

Ex-top recruit Emoni Bates has 30 in Eastern Michigan debut

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...michigan-debut

**by the way, do we have a thread for other teams regular season?
    Watched Eastern Michigan vs. Michigan last night—a surprisingly exciting game that U of M pulled out at the wire.

I had never seen Emoni Bates play and I can see why folks were so hyped—super skilled off the dribble with height and length (although rail thin). But I could also sense underlying issues. Maybe it’s confirmation bias knowing what happened at Memphis but he seemed really immature and really got sped up when the crowd got into the game and it came down to crunch time. I can imagine how the pressure might have gotten to him at Memphis.

I’m also rooting for him as I could see when he grows up some he could do well in the NBA. Hopefully Eastern Michigan is a good place for him.

I realize playing on the deck of an aircraft carrier is not normal, but I was impressed by neither Gonzaga nor Michigan State last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pfyster View Post
    I realize playing on the deck of an aircraft carrier is not normal, but I was impressed by neither Gonzaga nor Michigan State last night.
    Adding this result with Gonzaga's loss in their scrimmage to Tennessee, I don't think they have it all together yet. That's not good news for a team that can only stand out in their non-conference games.

#11 Tennessee gets beat soundly at home by Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    #11 Tennessee gets beat soundly at home by Colorado.
    A Rick Barnes special.