Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    You're not wrong. Your point also works if you swap out Purdue for Houston. I think they're the other super likely 1 seed, and they won't be seriously tested.
    I’m a Houston grad and the team is not playing like a 1 seed other than the UVA game. The Coogs had Alabama on the ropes at home and just fell apart and the Temple loss was a pathetic display again at home. Houston really struggles to score at times and makes me very nervous shooting FTs. I expect Houston to lose at least a couple more games before the NCAAs and the conference strength is pretty marginal. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to be a #1 seed but totally understand if it does not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I’m a Houston grad and the team is not playing like a 1 seed other than the UVA game. The Coogs had Alabama on the ropes at home and just fell apart and the Temple loss was a pathetic display again at home. Houston really struggles to score at times and makes me very nervous shooting FTs. I expect Houston to lose at least a couple more games before the NCAAs and the conference strength is pretty marginal. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to be a #1 seed but totally understand if it does not happen.
    I see your point. Their bracketology resume looks great, as of now. #1 in the NET, #2 in KenPom, 4-1 in Quad 1 games, 2-1 in top tier Quad 1 games. But the only team they can lose to in conference that isn't a bad loss is Memphis, so losing two more games this season would stain their resume a bit. They're favored by double digits in every remaining regular season game left this season expect at Memphis (currently favored by 5 there).

I feel like we(meaning the CBB community on the whole, moreso that DBR specifically) have the "are there any great teams this year?" talking point more years that not. 2021 was an outlier for many reasons, one of which was the dominance of Gonzaga and Baylor. Most other years, even the best teams have multiple losses by this point in the season. Conference play is a grind, and even elite teams tend to drop some games you wouldn't expect. There might be more parity among the top ~12 than usual, but teams like Purdue, Houston, and Tennessee are having great years.

Speaking of this topic, I'm still so bummed we never got a 2020 Tournament. That one really could have been wild. There was an excellent chance that we'd get a first time champ with Gonzaga, Baylor, Dayton, San Diego State, FSU, and Creighton all in the top 8 of the seed list on BracketMatrix.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Is this the most wide open season ever? Other than maybe Purdue, I don’t see any locks for a #1 seed. And as good as Purdue has been, the Big Ten has no other ranked teams- so I’m not sure how tested the Boilermakers will be come tourney time. Just wish Duke could find some consistency because this looks like a year when a lower seed has a real chance…
    You're not wrong. Your point also works if you swap out Purdue for Houston. I think they're the other super likely 1 seed, and they won't be seriously tested.
    This wide-open race actually makes the battle for top seeds (and opening weekend sites) a lot more interesting than in other years, but because the ACC is barely involved, this forum may not notice.

Right now, based on Bracket Matrix, we might be looking at the top 16 teams being placed geographically as follows.

Columbus: (1) Purdue, (3) Iowa State
    Birmingham: (1) Alabama, (1) Houston
    Greensboro: (1) Tennessee, (3) Virginia
    Des Moines: (2) Kansas, (3) Kansas State
    Sacramento: (2) Arizona, (2) UCLA
    Denver: (2) Texas, (3) Baylor
    Orlando: (4) Gonzaga, (4) TCU
    Albany: (4) Xavier, (4) Marquette

It looks awkward. I know the Final Four is in Houston, but this is a bad year to assign 8 sites that are nowhere near Texas. Iowa State needs to move higher up the Big 12 hierarchy to get Des Moines, and Xavier should be rooting for the Cyclones to do that. Orlando and Albany look like undesirable outposts, but they have appeal for outsider teams looking to move up to a 4 seed, like Connecticut, Rutgers, Miami, Auburn, and Duke.

I see your point. Their bracketology resume looks great, as of now. #1 in the NET, #2 in KenPom, 4-1 in Quad 1 games, 2-1 in top tier Quad 1 games. But the only team they can lose to in conference that isn't a bad loss is Memphis, so losing two more games this season would stain their resume a bit. They're favored by double digits in every remaining regular season game left this season expect at Memphis (currently favored by 5 there).
    You actually make a better case for Houston than I expected. If Houston does only lose two more it will likely still be a #1

Good night Purdue.

Thanks for coming out.

St. Mary’s defends home court against Gonzaga, 78-70 in overtime. Gaels’ guards, Mahaney and Marciulonis, make the difference.

Some Colorado St Fans called out for yelling Russia at a Ukrainian born player on Utah State whose family is still in the country. Must say that is pretty low. Kid was pretty understanding of the whole affair after getting an apology.

Arkansas takes down Kentucky in Lexington.

I can’t decide what’s more fun right now - reading IC or Rupp’s Rafters.

Whatever else happens this year, I think we all owe Kansas gratitude for how they pithed UNC so badly in the Natty that it's carried over to this year.

Down 2 with the ball, Vanderbilt hits a crazy 3 at the buzzer to upset Tennessee by 1.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    Whatever else happens this year, I think we all owe Kansas gratitude for how they pithed UNC so badly in the Natty that it's carried over to this year.
    Kansas come back win took the sting out of Duke's semifinal loss a little. That collapse was incredible.

I was skeptical about a YouTube video titled "the most bizarre college basketball ending of the year", but damn. Let's go to the 2nd overtime of the Portland-Pepperdine game last Saturday:

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I was skeptical about a YouTube video titled "the most bizarre college basketball ending of the year", but damn. Let's go to the 2nd overtime of the Portland-Pepperdine game last Saturday:

Crazy ending!

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Sad news, and what's likely a very unique reason for a basketball game to be cancelled/postponed.

ECU's radio announcer, Jeff Charles, passed away today while with the team in New Orleans prior to their game vs Tulane.

The game has been postponed, with no makeup date announced.

Charles has been with ECU for over 30 years, and as a current resident of Eastern NC, I know his voice. He's been heard by Duke fans in the past, as well, since our football teams have crossed paths before.
    RIP.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/voice-...oned/20714908/
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 02-10-2023 at 10:08 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Mexico State has suspended the men's basketball program over unspecified allegations.

https://kvia.com/news/2023/02/10/nms...tions-surface/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    New Mexico State has suspended the men's basketball program over unspecified allegations.

https://kvia.com/news/2023/02/10/nms...tions-surface/
    More here:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/new-mexico-...023416875.html

Congrats to Mike White - UGa takes down Kentucky in Athens. Someone better check on the folks over at Rupp’s Rafters.

This looks like the UNC we expected this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    I feel like we(meaning the CBB community on the whole, moreso that DBR specifically) have the "are there any great teams this year?" talking point more years that not. 2021 was an outlier for many reasons, one of which was the dominance of Gonzaga and Baylor. Most other years, even the best teams have multiple losses by this point in the season. Conference play is a grind, and even elite teams tend to drop some games you wouldn't expect. There might be more parity among the top ~12 than usual, but teams like Purdue, Houston, and Tennessee are having great years.

Speaking of this topic, I'm still so bummed we never got a 2020 Tournament. That one really could have been wild. There was an excellent chance that we'd get a first time champ with Gonzaga, Baylor, Dayton, San Diego State, FSU, and Creighton all in the top 8 of the seed list on BracketMatrix.
    That one was really rough for SDSU. It was their best team since Kawhi. However, I think that playing in the Mountain West makes it very hard for a team like that to put together six straight wins in the tourney. They just aren’t used to seeing really strong teams back to back to back.