Game 1: Philadelphia Phillies at St. Louis Cardinals - 2:07 p.m., ABC

Game 1: Seattle Mariners at Toronto Blue Jays - 4:07 p.m., ESPN

Game 1: San Diego Padres at New York Mets - 8:07 p.m., ESPN

Saturday, October 8

Game 2: Tampa Bay Rays at Cleveland Guardians - 12:07 p.m., ESPN2

Game 2: Seattle Mariners at Toronto Blue Jays - 4:07 p.m., ESPN

Game 2: San Diego Padres at New York Mets - 7:37 p.m., ESPN

Game 2: Philadelphia Phillies at St. Louis Cardinals - 8:37 p.m., ESPN2

Sunday, October 9 - Game 3s (if necessary)

Game 3*: Seattle Mariners at Toronto Blue Jays - 2:07 p.m., ABC

Game 3*: Tampa Bay Rays at Cleveland Guardians - 4:07 p.m., ESPN

Game 3*: San Diego Padres at New York Mets - 7:37 p.m., ESPN

Game 3*: Philadelphia Phillies at St. Louis Cardinals - 8:37 p.m., ESPN2

MLB Division Series schedules

(All times ET)

Tuesday, October 11

Game 1: Cardinals/Phillies at Atlanta Braves - TBD, FOX or FS1

Game 1: Guardians/Rays at New York Yankees - TBD, TBS

Game 1: Blue Jays/Mariners at Houston Astros - TBD, TBS

Game 1: Mets/Padres at Los Angeles Dodgers - TBD, FOX or FS1

Wednesday, October 12

Game 2: Cardinals/Phillies at Atlanta Braves - TBD, FOX or FS1

Game 2: Mets/Padres at Los Angeles Dodgers - TBD, FOX or FS1

Thursday, October 13

Game 2: Guardians/Rays at New York Yankees - TBD, TBS

Game 2: Blue Jays/Mariners at Houston Astros - TBD, TBS

Friday, October 14

Game 3: Atlanta Braves at Cardinals/Phillies - TBD, FS1

Game 3: Los Angeles Dodgers at Mets/Padres - TBD, FS1

Saturday, October 15

Game 3: New York Yankees at Guardians/Rays - TBD, TBS

Game 3: Houston Astros at Blue Jays/Mariners - TBD, TBS

Game 4*: Atlanta Braves at Cardinals/Phillies - TBD, FS1

Game 4*: Los Angeles Dodgers at Mets/Padres - TBD, FS1

Sunday, October 16

Game 4*: New York Yankees at Guardians/Rays - TBD, TBS

Game 4*: Houston Astros at Blue Jays/Mariners - TBD, TBS

Game 5*: Cardinals/Phillies at Atlanta Braves - TBD, FS1

Game 5*: Mets/Padres at Los Angeles Dodgers - TBD, FS1

Monday, October 17

Game 5*: Guardians/Rays at New York Yankees - TBD, TBS

Game 5*: Blue Jays/Mariners at Houston Astros - TBD, TBS

MLB League Championship Series schedules

(All times ET)

Tuesday, October 18

Game 1: NL low seed at NL high seed - TBD, FOX or FS1

Wednesday, October 19

Game 2: NL low seed at NL high seed - TBD, FOX or FS1

Game 1: AL low seed at AL high seed - TBD, TBS

Thursday, October 20

Game 2: AL low seed at AL high seed - TBD, TBS

Friday, October 21

Game 3: NL high seed at NL low seed - TBD, FS1

Saturday, October 22

Game 3: AL high seed at AL low seed - TBD, TBS

Game 4: NL high seed at NL low seed - TBD, FS1

Sunday, October 23

Game 4: AL high seed at AL low seed - TBD, TBS

Game 5*: NL high seed at NL low seed - TBD, FS1

Monday, October 24

Game 5*: AL high seed at AL low seed - TBD, TBS

Game 6*: NL low seed at NL high seed - TBD, FS1

Tuesday, October 25

Game 6*: AL low seed at AL high seed - TBD, TBS

Game 7*: NL low seed at NL high seed - TBD, FS1

Wednesday, October 26

Game 7*: AL low seed at AL high seed - TBD, TBS

World Series schedule

(All times ET)

Friday, October 28

Game 1: League champion with better record hosts - TBD, FOX

Saturday, October 29

Game 2: League champion with better record hosts - TBD, FOX

Monday, October 31

Game 3: League champion worse record hosts - TBD, FOX

Tuesday, November 1

Game 4: League champion worse record hosts - TBD, FOX

Wednesday, November 2

Game 5*: League champion worse record hosts - TBD, FOX

Friday, November 4

Game 6*: League champion with better record hosts - TBD, FOX

Saturday, November 5

Game 7*: League champion with better record hosts - TBD, FOX

Was listening to sports radio on the drive this morning, and there was some prime bulletin board material. Someone at MLB.com ranked the pitching staff of each playoff team and put San Diego DFL at 12.

Yu Darvish, Blake Snell, Joe Musgrove, Josh Hader, Luis Garcia, Robert Suarez — I hope this list was taped to each of your lockers.

Best of luck to everyone’s teams in the wildcard round (but only the wildcard round)

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Was listening to sports radio on the drive this morning, and there was some prime bulletin board material. Someone at MLB.com ranked the pitching staff of each playoff team and put San Diego DFL at 12.

Yu Darvish, Blake Snell, Joe Musgrove, Josh Hader, Luis Garcia, Robert Suarez — I hope this list was taped to each of your lockers.
    I doubt they are 12th out of 12
    Padres Last 30 days ...

Darvish 32 innings , 35 Ks , 4 wins, 2.25 ERA
    Snellzilla 35 inings , 47 Ks, 2 wins , 2.06 ERA
    Musgrove 32 innings , 35 Ks, 1 win , 2.56 ERA
    Closer
    Hader 10 innings, 13Ks. 6 saves, 0.87 ERA

Nothing like East Coast Bias.

Today they have to do it on the field, not on paper . GO PADRES

The Padres have a really tough road, potentially needing to beat three 100-win teams to get to the WS. I’d guess that’s why their odds are so long - I don’t think anyone would rank them 12/12 in sheer talent.

Their argument for why is sound. Staff ranks pretty low in ERA+ compared to the other teams. They did say the staff has been hot recently and that all of these staffs are inherently good. Plus baseball players can't read anyway.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...season-format/

Great Mets-centric article on the heartbreak of baseball and why it's hard to win it all as a wildcard team. Money quote: "In a game as absurd and fluke-ridden as postseason baseball, being the better team is not worth nearly as much as getting a head start within the format itself." Playoff baseball is the BEST. Every pitch feels like a high leverage situation and so much feels like luck.

I have to say, the seeding format of the new playoff setup really seems designed to punish the top seed. The top seed in each team is locked into the winner of the 4/5 matchup. In each league, the 4 seed (top wild card - Mets and Blue Jays this year) is very likely better than the 3 seed (worst division champion - Cardinals and Guardians). You could even argue the merits of the 5 seeds (Padres and Mariners) against the 3 seeds. But there is also no opportunity for re-seeding, so if the 6 seed manages to knock of the 3, the #2 seed, and not the #1 seed, is the beneficiary. So there is a very real possibility, for example, of the Dodgers drawing the Mets for divisional series while the Braves get the Phillies. That doesn't seem great for the top seed.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I have to say, the seeding format of the new playoff setup really seems designed to punish the top seed. The top seed in each team is locked into the winner of the 4/5 matchup. In each league, the 4 seed (top wild card - Mets and Blue Jays this year) is very likely better than the 3 seed (worst division champion - Cardinals and Guardians). You could even argue the merits of the 5 seeds (Padres and Mariners) against the 3 seeds. But there is also no opportunity for re-seeding, so if the 6 seed manages to knock of the 3, the #2 seed, and not the #1 seed, is the beneficiary. So there is a very real possibility, for example, of the Dodgers drawing the Mets for divisional series while the Braves get the Phillies. That doesn't seem great for the top seed.
    7D6CBFAF-F65A-4300-A1F4-D864619D0586.jpg

The St. Louis Cardinals enter postseason play today a mere 13 wins away from their 12th World Series championship in franchise history.

I love postseason baseball!

It's the issue with this format and that is pointed out in the article. The four seed is almost always better than the three seed and is frequently better than the two seed by record. This is accounted for though by the four seed having to use their one and two starters in the extra round while the one seed gets to line up their rotation. So the four seed is either forced to run their best starters out on short rest or throw their bottom of the rotation guys. It can be done but it's a definite Advantage for the higher seed.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The St. Louis Cardinals enter postseason play today a mere 13 wins away from their 12th World Series championship in franchise history.

I love postseason baseball!
    Postseason baseball is by far the best Postseason of any of the 3 major sports I think. Only the NCAA tournament matches the tense nature.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Part of me thinks you don't mean this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Their argument for why is sound. Staff ranks pretty low in ERA+ compared to the other teams. They did say the staff has been hot recently and that all of these staffs are inherently good. Plus baseball players can't read anyway.
    Their argument seemed a lot like someone who ranked teams based on a particular stat or two and hadn’t watched the team very much. Put it another way, do you think all of the other 11 teams in the playoffs would stick with their rotation instead of opting for the Padres’ rotation?

I would put the Padres rotation in the middle of the pack, behind the top tier teams like Houston, LA, ATL, NYM (although even then, the Padres third starter is better than what the Mets have after their two beasts).

At any rate, I like the bulletin board material and hope that Darvish throws a gem tonight.

Postseason baseball is by far the best Postseason of any of the 3 major sports I think. Only the NCAA tournament matches the tense nature.
    Agreed 100%! Great, great product the MLB puts on in postseason. Like you said, it gets tense!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Their argument seemed a lot like someone who ranked teams based on a particular stat or two and hadn’t watched the team very much. Put it another way, do you think all of the other 11 teams in the playoffs would stick with their rotation instead of opting for the Padres’ rotation?

I would put the Padres rotation in the middle of the pack, behind the top tier teams like Houston, LA, ATL, NYM (although even then, the Padres third starter is better than what the Mets have after their two beasts).

At any rate, I like the bulletin board material and hope that Darvish throws a gem tonight.
    I'd say the Mets' refuge from Oakland, Chris Bassett, has done much better than the Padres' one, Sean Manaea. Both are the third starter for their teams. If you pick Snell as the Padres' third starter, (assuming Darvish and Musgrove are 1-2) I'd still rather have Bassett this season.

It's the issue with this format and that is pointed out in the article. The four seed is almost always better than the three seed and is frequently better than the two seed by record. This is accounted for though by the four seed having to use their one and two starters in the extra round while the one seed gets to line up their rotation. So the four seed is either forced to run their best starters out on short rest or throw their bottom of the rotation guys. It can be done but it's a definite Advantage for the higher seed.
    I mean, yes, the 1 seed has an advantage over the team it plays in the next round, but that doesn't answer the question of why the 1 seed should be disadvantaged vis-a-vis the 2 seed. It seems like you could solve this problem by saying:

Wild Card Round - division winner with worst regular season record hosts wild card with worst regular season record; wild card with best regular season record hosts wild card with second best regular season record.
    Divisional Round - 1 v. (WC winner with worst regular season record); 2 v. (WC winner with best regular season record)

That still confers a benefit to a division winner - they get to play the weakest qualifying wild card team (by record) - but then ensures the 1 seed gets to play the weakest remaining team.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I'd say the Mets' refuge from Oakland, Chris Bassett, has done much better than the Padres' one, Sean Manaea. Both are the third starter for their teams. If you pick Snell as the Padres' third starter, (assuming Darvish and Musgrove are 1-2) I'd still rather have Bassett this season.
    Darvish is 1, Snell is 2 and Musgrove is 3. Mike Clevinger would be the fourth starter (which may come into play if the Padres beat the Mets in three games.

Sean Manaea would not be a playoff starter and would only make the playoff roster as a potential long relief guy.

I would take Musgrove over Bassett, but wouldn’t argue that the Friar’s rotation is better than the Mets.

I mean, yes, the 1 seed has an advantage over the team it plays in the next round, but that doesn't answer the question of why the 1 seed should be disadvantaged vis-a-vis the 2 seed. It seems like you could solve this problem by saying:

Wild Card Round - division winner with worst regular season record hosts wild card with worst regular season record; wild card with best regular season record hosts wild card with second best regular season record.
    Divisional Round - 1 v. (WC winner with worst regular season record); 2 v. (WC winner with best regular season record)

That still confers a benefit to a division winner - they get to play the weakest qualifying wild card team (by record) - but then ensures the 1 seed gets to play the weakest remaining team.
    I can't possibly agree more. Re-seeding seems rational just because of this issue.