Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 20, Georgia Tech 23 OT

Duke is a three points favorite on the road. Discuss the game here.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 10-08-2022 at 07:38 PM.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke is a three points favorite on the road. Discuss the game here.
    The point spread indicates Duke still gets no respect.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Or it indicates that oddsmakers have no idea what to do with a game between a 4-1 Duke team that struggled to win 3 games last season and a GaTech team that looked completely inept stumbling to a 1-3 start this year, fired its coach, then turned right around and handily defeated a ranked Pitt on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Or it indicates that oddsmakers have no idea what to do with a game between a 4-1 Duke team that struggled to win 3 games last season and a GaTech team that looked completely inept stumbling to a 1-3 start this year, fired its coach, then turned right around and handily defeated a ranked Pitt on the road.
    I think it has more to do with getting rid of these annoying guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Not necessarily. I think the Pitt game scared the #&%$ out of the sharps. I still can't figure that one out. I think most people believe Duke is improved, they certainly look better than most of the coastal right now. That said, nobody saw GT beating Pitt right after Collins got the boot. Will they revert to the mean? Does their interim coach really have some solid game planning? I don't know. I think Elko and staff will not be taking them for granted in the slightest.

So if I asked you which team that Duke played in 2019 that beat Duke the worst that year, how many would guess Alabama? Well, you be wrong. It was actually Syracuse, who didn't have a power 5 win up until that point in the season. They were getting blown out of games, then fired their DC before the Duke game. Duke was favored in that game. The final was 49-6 and it was never competitive. That Duke team had its issues exposed at that time, but nobody was expecting Syracuse to hold anyone to 6pts. The coaching change obviously seemed to fire up the team and they never looked back. They reverted back to the mean for the next 2 games but did get an upset win over WF.

Who knows how GT will approach this game. I'm pretty sure they will feel more confident since beating Pitt on the road should be more difficult than beating Duke at home. Maybe they'll be over confident. Usually mid-season coaching changes don't bring long lasting success.

EDIT: It should be noted, GT didn't handily beat Pitt. I think the largest margin at one point was 19-7 but Pitt made a comeback and lost by 5. For the longest time that game was 9-7

Ok, I’ll take the cocky position. The GaT passing game is anemic. Against Pitt, jackets ran for 230+ yards, but nearly half those yards were in two plays. We seem to do a better job stopping the traditional running game than a high powered passing game. Pitt also gave away two fumbles.

I don’t see Tech shutting down our O, and I don’t see them running all over us. This should be a good matchup for the devils: Duke 31-20.

It should also be noted that GaTech has one more win over Top 25 teams than Duke does. We need to be ready for a fight this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    uh, yeah, SO MUCH THIS^^^^^^

I'm sure the coaches and team will not take the jackets lightly. Given what happened the last couple years, I think it will be a while before we take any ACC team lightly.

That being said, The GT win over Pitt seemed to have just as much to do with Pitt dropping the ball, literally, as it did GT playing well.

Pitt's offense sputtered in the second half without junior running back Israel Abanikanda. The ACC's leading rusher exited late in the first half with an undisclosed injury and his replacement, Vincent Davis, fumbled twice in Pitt territory to set up Georgia Tech scores.
    If we play well like we mostly did against the hoos, it should be a good day for the blue devils.

For tv viewers in the DC Metro area the game is scheduled for MASN.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It should also be noted that GaTech has one more win over Top 25 teams than Duke does. We need to be ready for a fight this weekend.
    Which will help Duke's coaches stress that this isn't a walkover game, which I confess I had started to think in recent weeks.

I'm so proud of Duke this year and optimistic going forward, but Duke doesn't have many walkover games scheduled, and none of them are fellow ACC teams.

Pitt's loss will help Duke focus for the upcoming week in a way that I feel Pitt did not focus last week.

All the channels carrying the game:
    https://theacc.com/sports/2022/9/29/...UKE_GT_22.aspx

Since the MLB regular season is over and the NBA and NHL (with two games of exceptions) regular seasons have not started yet, the game is on more channels than the last one.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post

Since the MLB regular season is over and the NBA and NHL (with two games of exceptions) regular seasons have not started yet, the game is on more channels than the last one.
    We're going camping at Jordan Lake this weekend. From history, I know to expect barely a signal, because for some reason, having a state park next to the Research Triangle with decent cell service would make too much sense. If I get lucky, I'll be streaming through a VPN and enjoying the lake from "Chicago", but most likely I'll be listening to my first radio broadcast in forever. Which at least, since I'm close enough, I'll be able to pick up over the air easily.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The game last week against UVa was the most important game for Duke and new coach Elko. So very nervous about the game. Now, this next game against GaTech is the most important game for Duke and new coach Elko. So again, very nervous about the game. I guess this will continue for the rest of the season???

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I guess this will continue for the rest of the season???
    From your lips . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    We seem to do a better job stopping the traditional running game than a high powered passing game.
    I totally feel this way. I am excited about our offense. Our D line seems decent and our tackling is greatly improved from traditional Duke struggles with rb's. However, I am very worried about our ability to control short and medium length passes.

Jeff Sims is a mobile quarterback who will be a challenge to contain. The defense needs to pressure him into making bad decisions.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post

I use YouTube TV as my main streaming service and I was unable to find last week's game (UVa) anywhere on YT TV. I tried to watch the game on ESPN3 (through the ESPN app on my computer and phone, but it would not allow me to access the game that way). Does anyone know of a way to watch the game through other methods?

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I use YouTube TV as my main streaming service and I was unable to find last week's game (UVa) anywhere on YT TV. I tried to watch the game on ESPN3 (through the ESPN app on my computer and phone, but it would not allow me to access the game that way). Does anyone know of a way to watch the game through other methods?
    I had the very same problem. This was the first problem I've had with YouTube TV since we went to it earlier this year. I'm hoping for better luck this week.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I had the very same problem. This was the first problem I've had with YouTube TV since we went to it earlier this year. I'm hoping for better luck this week.

GoDuke!
    Bally Sports gives a free week if you sign up. That's where the game is being shown. My issue is remembering to unsubscribe before incurring charges.

Anyone know of another way to see the game on TV?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!