Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Batman

The Batman

I think certain movies are so big that we need discussion threads for them outside the generic "Movies and TV shows during the pandemic" thing we have been hacking away at for the past two years.

So, here is your place to chat about the new Batman film coming to theaters this Friday. Let's keep it spoiler free at least through the opening weekend.

I'm convinced this is going to be a boxoffice smash, maybe not quite as big as the recent Spiderman film, but easily the second biggest flick of the pandemic. I suspect the reviews are going to be strong, though maybe not gush too much (sorta like mine). Here is my 100-word review: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/02...ws-batman.html

This film really embraces the detective side of Batman with him trying unravel the mysteries of the Riddler, a serial killer who claims his crimes are designed to reveal Gotham’s legacy of corruption.

If you have any questions about the movie, feel free to post 'em and I will answer without revealing any spoilers.

-Jason "there is no Tomatometer score yet, but when it comes on line, I bet it is in the 90-95% range" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think certain movies are so big that we need discussion threads for them outside the generic "Movies and TV shows during the pandemic" thing we have been hacking away at for the past two years.

So, here is your place to chat about the new Batman film coming to theaters this Friday. Let's keep it spoiler free at least through the opening weekend.

I'm convinced this is going to be a boxoffice smash, maybe not quite as big as the recent Spiderman film, but easily the second biggest flick of the pandemic. I suspect the reviews are going to be strong, though maybe not gush too much (sorta like mine). Here is my 100-word review: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/02...ws-batman.html

If you have any questions about the movie, feel free to post 'em and I will answer without revealing any spoilers.

-Jason "there is no Tomatometer score yet, but when it comes on line, I bet it is in the 90-95% range" Evans

Man, that good? Hm, okay, fine.

How is Robert P as Batman? I have to say, he isn't who I would traditionally see as Batman, but I might be really typecasting him in my head...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

How is Robert P as Batman? I have to say, he isn't who I would traditionally see as Batman, but I might be really typecasting him in my head...
    If you want to get rid of a typecasting impression for Pattinson, watch The Lighthouse. It's an intense movie starring Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe. (And only those two, really.) You won't look at him as a Hogwarts Sparkly Vampire any longer. (PS, it's on Prime)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Li...se_(2019_film)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You won't look at him as a Hogwarts Sparkly Vampire any longer. (PS, it's on Prime)

Sorry, doesn't matter. The damage is done. Just like that little punk, Harry Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

Well, like I said, the reviews will be strong but not gushing. It is quite good but has a few flaws (and it is too damn long). Pattinson is, IMO, one of the flaws. We barely get to know Bruce Wayne at all. There's next to nothing of who he is when he is not wearing the Batman costume and he is so single-mindedly focused on solving crimes and saving the city that there really isn't room for Pattison to do anything else. Still, I'm largely picking nits here. The movie is extremely watchable and I'm eager to see what Matt Reeves does next with this franchise. He's a great writer/director.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Good guess, Jason. Score just got posted -- 91%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_batman

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If you want to get rid of a typecasting impression for Pattinson, watch The Lighthouse. It's an intense movie starring Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe. (And only those two, really.) You won't look at him as a Hogwarts Sparkly Vampire any longer. (PS, it's on Prime)

That i will have to do .
    I was skeptical of ben afleck too.
    But he did a great job.
    Collin farrel as the penguin ?jurys still out.but hes more than capable.
    Micheal Keaton, afleck (which sirprised me) and christian bale are my favorites.
    With a shout out to adam west wssnt old enough for him but have seen reruns.

I will take my son to see it .
    But top gun maverick is my wife and i.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    .Micheal Keaton, afleck (which sirprised me) and christian bale are my favorites.
    With a shout out to adam west wssnt old enough for him but have seen reruns.
    Your list is missing the best Batman of all. Kevin Conroy! And no, I’m not kidding in the least. I’ll take Batman the Animated Series over anything else Hollywood has done in the last 60 years.

Anyone who hasn’t watched that series, and is a Batman fan, needs to do so. It’s simply the best.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Your list is missing the best Batman of all. Kevin Conroy! And no, I’m not kidding in the least. I’ll take Batman the Animated Series over anything else Hollywood has done in the last 60 years.

Anyone who hasn’t watched that series, and is a Batman fan, needs to do so. It’s simply the best.
    It also has the best Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    It also has the best Joker.
    Yes it does! Mark Hamill is amazing in that role.

Good guess, Jason. Score just got posted -- 91%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_batman
    Now down to 85%. (Still high though.) Seems that some believe it was hamstrung by it's desire to be a PG-13 flick.

I will have to check that out.

It’s really good. Definitely the darkest of the Batman movies to date, but manages to insert a modicum of optimism into its tone. Kravitz and Wright give the strongest performances IMO. Pattinson is very good as Batman, though his Bruce Wayne takes some getting used to.

It’s actually a pretty decent rebuttal to the “why doesn’t Bruce just use his money to fight the root causes of crime rather than spending it on Batman” argument that the internet loves so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Now down to 85%. (Still high though.) Seems that some believe it was hamstrung by it's desire to be a PG-13 flick.
    This movie was not for me .

This movie was not for me .
    Give Batman:TAS a watch. I think you’ll like it.

Not for me as well. I found it to be very boring.

This felt like two or three Batman films rolled into one. I didn’t get the sense that there was a whole lot of connective tissue between the Riddler and mob subplots. For most of the second act the Riddler felt like a footnote only for him to come back to set up the final set piece. It felt clumsily done. They could have easily done a mob-setup film with Penguin as the main villain, and then have Riddler be the centerpiece of the second film.

One of the things I liked a lot about the Nolan trilogy was its focus on Bruce Wayne rather than Batman. This film is the opposite—the Bruce Wayne scenes are very thin. I thought Pattinson’s performance was fine but hamstrung by the script. I thought Jeffrey Wright was a great cast as Lieutenant Gordon. And the film definitely deserves a hair and makeup Oscar for Colin Farrell who was unrecognizable in his role.

Also, Matt Reeves probably could have cut out about twenty or thirty minutes’ worth of Batman-walking-in-slow-motion-to-depressing-music shots.

In all, I still think Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are best in show when it comes to Batman films.

Variety: Zoë Kravitz Opens Up on Losing ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Audition Because of Her Skin Color

During a 2015 interview with Nylon, Kravitz said the role she was seeking in “The Dark Knight Rises” was a small one and that she couldn’t get in the room because the film wasn’t “going urban” for the role.
    The article is vague on the role, even misleadingly suggesting it was Catwoman, but Kravitz is almost certainly talking about the role Juno Temple ended up playing, as Anne Hathaway's roommate/associate. You can see Temple's character briefly in this bar scene, and later when Bruce is broke and visits Selina in her apartment.

Give Batman:TAS a watch. I think you’ll like it.
    I have seen it .but have not watched.
    May give it a look this weekend .

I have seen it .but have not watched.
    May give it a look this weekend .
    You could watch ‘Batman:Mask of the Phantasm’ as a good opening into the series. Was a feature-length film shown in the theaters.