Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tua and the elephant in the room.

that was so hard to watch last night...a lot of speculation swirling around the entire incident as well as the event last week...the NFL has (past, present and future) a huge problem on it's hands..

all football fans want to see the big hits. it turns to an awful feeling when they don't get up.

i thought this might deserve it's own thread...mods, please merge should you see fit..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Is there a link or a first name for this Tua guy? Some more fleshing out on the topic at hand would be welcome.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Is there a link or a first name for this Tua guy? Some more fleshing out on the topic at hand would be welcome.
    apologies...not everyone watches all the nfl games...

Injury discussion with video
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    apologies...not everyone watches all the nfl games...

Injury discussion with video
    If you haven't seen the video...don't. It's just not good. Hope Tua is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I have to admit, I usually get frustrated with blind links and vague messages, but all of sports has been all Tua all day long today.

This is Very Bad for the NFL.

Either their protocol wasn't followed (the video of Shaky Tua from five days ago was quite jarring) and the Dolphins found some loophole or used a doctor that was willing to look the other way

OR

The protocol WAS followed and the procedure itself is flawed in some massive way.

If I'm the NFL I'm praying that the Dolphins made some egregious errors (intentionally or not) so that you can find/punish/flog that team. If your protocol has loopholes you can drive a semi-truck through, that's a huge liability.

Gross situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I have to admit, I usually get frustrated with blind links and vague messages, but all of sports has been all Tua all day long today.

This is Very Bad for the NFL.

Either their protocol wasn't followed (the video of Shaky Tua from five days ago was quite jarring) and the Dolphins found some loophole or used a doctor that was willing to look the other way

OR

The protocol WAS followed and the procedure itself is flawed in some massive way.

If I'm the NFL I'm praying that the Dolphins made some egregious errors (intentionally or not) so that you can find/punish/flog that team. If your protocol has loopholes you can drive a semi-truck through, that's a huge liability.

Gross situation.

I don't follow the NFL very closely at all, but I did read what I thought was a pretty interesting book this summer. Concussion, about Dr. Bennet Omalu, a board certified pathologist who, according to the book, was the first person to really shine the spotlight on CTE and the NFL when he examined Mike Webster's brain.

https://www.amazon.com/Concussion-Je...12987578&psc=1

In fairness, when I just googled it to get a link to the book, I see that Merril Hodge, one of Wesbster's own teammates, has written his own book, Brainwashed: The Bad Science Behind CTE and the Plot to Destroy Football

I'm confident that on a board like ours, there are folks here who have the knowledge/expertise to do their own research into this situation. I'm certainly not qualified to dissect the truthfullness or accuracy of either, but I did find the book I ready pretty compelling. Didn't see the game or clip last night, don't need to. Sure hope Tua is okay, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    I don't follow the NFL very closely at all, but I did read what I thought was a pretty interesting book this summer. Concussion, about Dr. Bennet Omalu, a board certified pathologist who, according to the book, was the first person to really shine the spotlight on CTE and the NFL when he examined Mike Webster's brain.

In fairness, when I just googled it to get a link to the book, I see that Merril Hodge, one of Wesbster's own teammates, has written his own book, Brainwashed: The Bad Science Behind CTE and the Plot to Destroy Football

I'm confident that on a board like ours, there are folks here who have the knowledge/expertise to do their own research into this situation. I'm certainly not qualified to dissect the truthfullness or accuracy of either, but I did find the book I ready pretty compelling. Didn't see the game or clip last night, don't need to. Sure hope Tua is okay, though.
    I cannot imagine anyone questioning the damage that concussions and head injuries cause. Worked in both hockey and football before I moved to education, and was an athlete myself, and good lord, the long term damage of multiple concussions is enough that it makes me think some aspects of the sports need major changes. I've known guys forced into retirement because of them, and people who have suffered for their entire lives because of them. My cousin Sophie was a D1 level soccer player who suffered four concussions in a short period of time, and was nearly crippled by them. Terrible, terrible stuff.

Oh, and I am absolutely gutted by how the machismo of sports and the reverence of sports works so hard to undermine taking care of our athletes. Sorry, but football in particular needs to be completely revamped. But it will never, ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post

I think the book was turned into a movie by the same name, Concussion. If my memory is correct, it was very believable and tragic, and the doctor really had to persevere through criticism and attacks from the NFL. And while IANAD, I find it very hard to believe that CTE is based on bad science. There are too many examples of players who have suffered terrible effects, including those who were diagnosed with CTE after their brains were autopsied after death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I think the book was turned into a movie by the same name, Concussion. If my memory is correct, it was very believable and tragic, and the doctor really had to persevere through criticism and attacks from the NFL. And while IANAD, I find it very hard to believe that CTE is based on bad science. There are too many examples of players who have suffered terrible effects, including those who were diagnosed with CTE after their brains were autopsied after death.

Your memory is right on.

I found the book very convincing. Including the sub-plot of multi-mill…, whoops, make that multi-billion dollar industry trying hard to silence the little guy.

One other interesting aspect of the book was the prevalence of CTE in professional wrestling. I had not heard that link previously.

The best job in the NFL is Punter/Kicker followed by career backup QB.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Long snapper.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Long snapper.
    Yeah. You never hear of a "roughing the long snapper" penalty. They just run right around that dude.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...es-source-says

The unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant involved in clearing Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa during Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills has been fired after it was found he made "several mistakes" in his evaluation, a league source told ESPN.

The source said the NFL Players Association exercised its right to dismiss the consultant. The NFLPA and the league each have the right to fire a UNC without agreement from the other party.

Tagovailoa briefly left Sunday's game after hitting the back of his head on the ground and stumbling while trying to return to the huddle. He was taken to the locker room and tested for a concussion but returned to the game after passing his evaluation. The Dolphins initially listed him as questionable to return with a head injury but later clarified that a back injury Tagovailoa suffered earlier in the game caused him to stumble.

The NFLPA exercised its right to initiate a review of the league's concussion protocol in response to Tagovailoa's quick return to Sunday's game. A source told ESPN's Dan Graziano that the UNC was interviewed Friday as part of that investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

The unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant involved in clearing Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa during Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills has been fired after it was found he made "several mistakes" in his evaluation, a league source told ESPN.

The source said the NFL Players Association exercised its right to dismiss the consultant. The NFLPA and the league each have the right to fire a UNC without agreement from the other party.

Tagovailoa briefly left Sunday's game after hitting the back of his head on the ground and stumbling while trying to return to the huddle. He was taken to the locker room and tested for a concussion but returned to the game after passing his evaluation. The Dolphins initially listed him as questionable to return with a head injury but later clarified that a back injury Tagovailoa suffered earlier in the game caused him to stumble.

The NFLPA exercised its right to initiate a review of the league's concussion protocol in response to Tagovailoa's quick return to Sunday's game. A source told ESPN's Dan Graziano that the UNC was interviewed Friday as part of that investigation.
    So the injury vs Buffalo was a head injury afterall…

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

I would like to know this person’s name, credentials and what hospital they work at. If 99% of the average shmo’s (such as myself) could see what was happening, an allegedly well-trained professional should have seen it.

Though the fact that they were incompetent and referred to as a UNC kind of makes sense…

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I would like to know this person’s name, credentials and what hospital they work at. If 99% of the average shmo’s (such as myself) could see what was happening, an allegedly well-trained professional should have seen it.

Though the fact that they were incompetent and referred to as a UNC kind of makes sense…
    I'm definetly on board with firing any UNC whenever possible.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I found this video description of the medical issues informative - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZ0dYKM-t0

It's a doctor talking about posturing which is what Tua did with his hands immediately following the hit.

I don't watch football anymore, at any level, because of all the brain damage. CTE studies show evidence of CTE in 25-30% of players who quit after high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I don't watch football anymore, at any level, because of all the brain damage. CTE studies show evidence of CTE in 25-30% of players who quit after high school.
    I cannot help but feel very dirty myself when I watch Duke football, which (along with Vols football to pacify the wife) is the only football I watch anymore. And I'm not sure just how much longer I can hold out on those two exceptions. The game HAS to change, or face up to the seeming fact that it has become a gladiator-type sport.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I cannot help but feel very dirty myself when I watch Duke football, which (along with Vols football to pacify the wife) is the only football I watch anymore. And I'm not sure just how much longer I can hold out on those two exceptions. The game HAS to change, or face up to the seeming fact that it has become a gladiator-type sport.
    90% of former college football players brains showed evidence of CTE.

And among former NFL players, you just have to accept that it comes with the territory. When compared to other professional athletes, football players live much shorter lives. And former players, or not former players if they happen to be Tom Brady, usually show effects by the time they hit 40, if not before. Whenever I hear some sport show talking about Tom Brady acting weird, I think, "It's the CTE."