Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tua and the elephant in the room.

that was so hard to watch last night...a lot of speculation swirling around the entire incident as well as the event last week...the NFL has (past, present and future) a huge problem on it's hands..

all football fans want to see the big hits. it turns to an awful feeling when they don't get up.

i thought this might deserve it's own thread...mods, please merge should you see fit..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Is there a link or a first name for this Tua guy? Some more fleshing out on the topic at hand would be welcome.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Is there a link or a first name for this Tua guy? Some more fleshing out on the topic at hand would be welcome.
    apologies...not everyone watches all the nfl games...

Injury discussion with video
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    apologies...not everyone watches all the nfl games...

Injury discussion with video
    If you haven't seen the video...don't. It's just not good. Hope Tua is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I have to admit, I usually get frustrated with blind links and vague messages, but all of sports has been all Tua all day long today.

This is Very Bad for the NFL.

Either their protocol wasn't followed (the video of Shaky Tua from five days ago was quite jarring) and the Dolphins found some loophole or used a doctor that was willing to look the other way

OR

The protocol WAS followed and the procedure itself is flawed in some massive way.

If I'm the NFL I'm praying that the Dolphins made some egregious errors (intentionally or not) so that you can find/punish/flog that team. If your protocol has loopholes you can drive a semi-truck through, that's a huge liability.

Gross situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I have to admit, I usually get frustrated with blind links and vague messages, but all of sports has been all Tua all day long today.

Either their protocol wasn't followed (the video of Shaky Tua from five days ago was quite jarring) and the Dolphins found some loophole or used a doctor that was willing to look the other way

OR

The protocol WAS followed and the procedure itself is flawed in some massive way.

If I'm the NFL I'm praying that the Dolphins made some egregious errors (intentionally or not) so that you can find/punish/flog that team. If your protocol has loopholes you can drive a semi-truck through, that's a huge liability.

Gross situation.

I don't follow the NFL very closely at all, but I did read what I thought was a pretty interesting book this summer. Concussion, about Dr. Bennet Omalu, a board certified pathologist who, according to the book, was the first person to really shine the spotlight on CTE and the NFL when he examined Mike Webster's brain.

https://www.amazon.com/Concussion-Je...12987578&psc=1

In fairness, when I just googled it to get a link to the book, I see that Merril Hodge, one of Wesbster's own teammates, has written his own book, Brainwashed: The Bad Science Behind CTE and the Plot to Destroy Football

I'm confident that on a board like ours, there are folks here who have the knowledge/expertise to do their own research into this situation. I'm certainly not qualified to dissect the truthfullness or accuracy of either, but I did find the book I ready pretty compelling. Didn't see the game or clip last night, don't need to. Sure hope Tua is okay, though.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I found this video description of the medical issues informative - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZ0dYKM-t0

It's a doctor talking about posturing which is what Tua did with his hands immediately following the hit.

No one can doubt the severity of the injury last night - it was grotesque and immediately stomach turning.

After hoping that Tua has a full recovery, my biggest next hope is that this spurs some honest talk about WTF is happening in the NFL. You can't find a more egregious example of seeming malpractice than Tua's recent five day stretch.

I don't watch football anymore, at any level, because of all the brain damage. CTE studies show evidence of CTE in 25-30% of players who quit after high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I don't watch football anymore, at any level, because of all the brain damage. CTE studies show evidence of CTE in 25-30% of players who quit after high school.
    I cannot help but feel very dirty myself when I watch Duke football, which (along with Vols football to pacify the wife) is the only football I watch anymore. And I'm not sure just how much longer I can hold out on those two exceptions. The game HAS to change, or face up to the seeming fact that it has become a gladiator-type sport.

Not that football isn't a violent sport.
    I'm not a fan of artificial turf .that stuff is not like regular grass . It saves maintenance costs but it hurts a lot more when you hit it.
    I'm wondering if anyone has done a study on the effects of impacts on different turf to see the difference. While it may not stop a concussion. I'm wondering if it will lesson the severity .

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Not that football isn't a violent sport.
    I'm not a fan of artificial turf .that stuff is not like regular grass . It saves maintenance costs but it hurts a lot more when you hit it.
    I'm wondering if anyone has done a study on the effects of impacts on different turf to see the difference. While it may not stop a concussion. I'm wondering if it will lesson the severity .
    I was thinking about that last night. The turf in basically all of the current stadiums is supposed to be dramatically better than in the last generation - they said that Giants Stadium, the Vet, Three Rivers, etc were like concrete. But I’m sure the current turf is still not as good as grass.

I watched it live and it was painful to watch. My son was in the other room and saw my reaction and asked what was wrong. I have zero medical training but I am shocked they let him get on a plane and didn’t keep him for observation. I know they have a few extra days off now but even if he passes every test the NFL cannot let him play in the next game - the optics would be horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    I don't follow the NFL very closely at all, but I did read what I thought was a pretty interesting book this summer. Concussion, about Dr. Bennet Omalu, a board certified pathologist who, according to the book, was the first person to really shine the spotlight on CTE and the NFL when he examined Mike Webster's brain.

In fairness, when I just googled it to get a link to the book, I see that Merril Hodge, one of Wesbster's own teammates, has written his own book, Brainwashed: The Bad Science Behind CTE and the Plot to Destroy Football

I'm confident that on a board like ours, there are folks here who have the knowledge/expertise to do their own research into this situation. I'm certainly not qualified to dissect the truthfullness or accuracy of either, but I did find the book I ready pretty compelling. Didn't see the game or clip last night, don't need to. Sure hope Tua is okay, though.
    I cannot imagine anyone questioning the damage that concussions and head injuries cause. Worked in both hockey and football before I moved to education, and was an athlete myself, and good lord, the long term damage of multiple concussions is enough that it makes me think some aspects of the sports need major changes. I've known guys forced into retirement because of them, and people who have suffered for their entire lives because of them. My cousin Sophie was a D1 level soccer player who suffered four concussions in a short period of time, and was nearly crippled by them. Terrible, terrible stuff.

Oh, and I am absolutely gutted by how the machismo of sports and the reverence of sports works so hard to undermine taking care of our athletes. Sorry, but football in particular needs to be completely revamped. But it will never, ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I have zero medical training but I am shocked they let him get on a plane and didn’t keep him for observation.
    This. The hospital kept me overnight “for observation” once after an endoscopic procedure to check for gall stones. Seems insane that they’d just turn Tua loose.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I was thinking about that last night. The turf in basically all of the current stadiums is supposed to be dramatically better than in the last generation - they said that Giants Stadium, the Vet, Three Rivers, etc were like concrete. But I’m sure the current turf is still not as good as grass.

I watched it live and it was painful to watch. My son was in the other room and saw my reaction and asked what was wrong. I have zero medical training but I am shocked they let him get on a plane and didn’t keep him for observation. I know they have a few extra days off now but even if he passes every test the NFL cannot let him play in the next game - the optics would be horrible.
    My kid hates turf says it's still harder
    Than grass. Plus a thousand little cuts .I questioned it because old turf was brick hard it didn't seem as hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

OR

Gross situation.
    I don't really watch much sports coverage save maybe 15 minutes of midnight SportsCenter one or two nights a week.

I also don't watch football because of stuff like this, or what I am inferring this is about.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I cannot help but feel very dirty myself when I watch Duke football, which (along with Vols football to pacify the wife) is the only football I watch anymore. And I'm not sure just how much longer I can hold out on those two exceptions. The game HAS to change, or face up to the seeming fact that it has become a gladiator-type sport.
    90% of former college football players brains showed evidence of CTE.

And among former NFL players, you just have to accept that it comes with the territory. When compared to other professional athletes, football players live much shorter lives. And former players, or not former players if they happen to be Tom Brady, usually show effects by the time they hit 40, if not before. Whenever I hear some sport show talking about Tom Brady acting weird, I think, "It's the CTE."

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post

I think the book was turned into a movie by the same name, Concussion. If my memory is correct, it was very believable and tragic, and the doctor really had to persevere through criticism and attacks from the NFL. And while IANAD, I find it very hard to believe that CTE is based on bad science. There are too many examples of players who have suffered terrible effects, including those who were diagnosed with CTE after their brains were autopsied after death.

If it's found that the story of Tua's injury against Buffalo last week was concocted, that is, stated to be a back injury when it was actually the concussion that it sure seemed to be to any layman watching the game, and then they had him play again 5 days later knowing he had recently suffered that concussion, then heads are gonna roll, whether they be the coach, the GM, or even that rotten owner Ross. And roll they should.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    If it's found that the story of Tua's injury against Buffalo last week was concocted, that is, stated to be a back injury when it was actually the concussion that it sure seemed to be to any layman watching the game, and then they had him play again 5 days later knowing he had recently suffered that concussion, then heads are gonna roll, whether they be the coach, the GM, or even that rotten owner Ross. And roll they should.
    Ah, Tua was just dinged up, had his bell rung, no big deal, send him back out there. Gotta be tough.