Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1430
    Zion seems like the next Greg Oden, a generational talent that nobody will ever know what he could really do before injuries completely derailed his career.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Zion seems like the next Greg Oden, a generational talent that nobody will ever know what he could really do before injuries completely derailed his career.
    Zion has already played in more games (and in as many seasons) than did Oden. While it's unfortunate that Zion's injuries have kept him off the court, he has never been as hobbled as Oden was, even when he did actually play.
    It would be exceptionally sad if Zion's career were already over, but it's not. Maybe Bill Walton will end up being a better comp...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Zion has already played in more games (and in as many seasons) than did Oden. While it's unfortunate that Zion's injuries have kept him off the court, he has never been as hobbled as Oden was, even when he did actually play.
    It would be exceptionally sad if Zion's career were already over, but it's not. Maybe Bill Walton will end up being a better comp...
    Either way it's just very, very sad. I'll admit I'm now at the point where I don't ever expect Zion to reach his full potential and be the dominant force I thought he could be. That ship has sailed, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Either way it's just very, very sad. I'll admit I'm now at the point where I don't ever expect Zion to reach his full potential and be the dominant force I thought he could be. That ship has sailed, imho.
    Not so fast, my friend. When Zion has played he absolutely has been a dominant force. How many current NBA players can you say that about? Maybe 10 or fewer?

Sure, he’s had very significant injury issues, and that’s a clear impediment to him having the HOF career that he seemed destined to have. But there’s still time. We’ve seen Joel Embiid overcome serious injury woes to become a mostly-healthy All-NBA player. I continue to expect Zion to follow a similar path. 🤞

Agree on all counts. Zion Williamson is already a two time All-Star, and his second season was brilliant. Oden never reached a level anywhere close to what Zion has already achieved.

New honorary member of the Brotherhood

I think we can welcome Giannis Antetokounmpo to the family.

https://twitter.com/BryanKalbrosky/s...35410639183872

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    We’ve seen Joel Embiid overcome serious injury woes to become a mostly-healthy All-NBA player. I continue to expect Zion to follow a similar path. 🤞
    While I certainly hope you are correct, and will always root like crazy for Zion, doubts are creeping into my mind for sure.

While I certainly hope you are correct, and will always root like crazy for Zion, doubts are creeping into my mind for sure.
    Perfectly understandable.

Jayson Tatum’s coming out party

A very interesting and insightful clip for those who are into “the behind the scenes”. Brad Steven, Doris Burke, and Al Horford were interviewed for this clip. The hosts, Doris and Al talked about how they knew JT was special as a rookie in 2018. The clip starts at 26:47. Enjoy!
    https://youtu.be/JCF-9wWAi50
    The Chi Master

Steven, I’m watching the Houston Rockets clown with the Celtics tonight. Tatum misses an easy layup for the tie and he just buggers it to hell. Ugh…

Are you telling me you’re not worried and that you think they are still front runners in the East? Because I can’t see it at all. I want it, but I absolutely can’t see it the way they’re playing right now.

Frankly, I’m not even sure they can make it to the Eastern Conference Finals the way they are playing right now. And they for sure can’t take the Bucks out the way they’re playing.

Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    A very interesting and insightful clip for those who are into “the behind the scenes”. Brad Steven, Doris Burke, and Al Horford were interviewed for this clip. The hosts, Doris and Al talked about how they knew JT was special as a rookie in 2018. The clip starts at 26:47. Enjoy!
    https://youtu.be/JCF-9wWAi50
    Thanks -- I'm a big fan of Doris in particular, but the NBA coverage and broadcasts overall are very good.

FWIW, I'll put this here -- Jeff Van Gundy last night said he thought Duke would win the NCAA Tournament. He didn't elaborate but these commentators recognize talent.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Thanks -- I'm a big fan of Doris in particular, but the NBA coverage and broadcasts overall are very good.

FWIW, I'll put this here -- Jeff Van Gundy last night said he thought Duke would win the NCAA Tournament. He didn't elaborate but these commentators recognize talent.

You are most welcome. I like her a lot too. Thanks for JVG’s comment too. Yes, they definitely do.
    The Chi Master

Steven, I’m watching the Houston Rockets clown with the Celtics tonight. Tatum misses an easy layup for the tie and he just buggers it to hell. Ugh…

Are you telling me you’re not worried and that you think they are still front runners in the East? Because I can’t see it at all. I want it, but I absolutely can’t see it the way they’re playing right now.

Frankly, I’m not even sure they can make it to the Eastern Conference Finals the way they are playing right now. And they for sure can’t take the Bucks out the way they’re playing.
    There is no question they're playing poorly right now, but this is the way seasons often go, I'd like to think they'll pull it together...reminds me of some of K's best teams throttling everyone in December and January, then one worries can they keep it up?

Younger fans likely don't realize that the biggest knock on Duke and Coach K used to be that the school didn't produce NBA players. There were 8 games tonight and every single one involved a team with a Duke player (although Allen, Williams and Bagley all sat out with injuries).

In a similar vein, Duke also was criticized for not recruiting or developing bigs (Ferry and Laettner were excluded as they weren't viewed as traditonal bigs).

Tonight saw another iteration of the Battle of the Jones Brothers with Tyus gaining the upper hand and winning in San Anton'. Even more impressive is that Tyus put up a triple double vs his brother, 20-10-10. Tre had a decent game, 8-9-3. Each had 2 steals.
    Luke Kennard continues to lead the NBA in 3FG% at .463. Dude can shoot.
    Kyrie (38), Jayson (34) and Brandon Ingram (31) all had 30+ point games.

Tonight saw another iteration of the Battle of the Jones Brothers with Tyus gaining the upper hand and winning in San Anton'. Even more impressive is that Tyus put up a triple double vs his brother, 20-10-10. Tre had a decent game, 8-9-3. Each had 2 steals.
    Luke Kennard continues to lead the NBA in 3FG% at .463. Dude can shoot.
    Kyrie (38), Jayson (34) and Brandon Ingram (31) all had 30+ point games.
    Tyus is an amazing backup point guard. Glad he’s paid well, but would love to see him routinely start for a team (maybe Memphis in the future?).

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Tyus is an amazing backup point guard. Glad he’s paid well, but would love to see him routinely start for a team (maybe Memphis in the future?).
    Yes, I think he made a smart and interesting choice to stay where he was, but for big bucks. Many teams would love to have him...and as you imply, if Morant implodes he could end up starting in Memphis, as he does when Morant is out, which is reasonably often.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, I think he made a smart and interesting choice to stay where he was, but for big bucks. Many teams would love to have him...and as you imply, if Morant implodes he could end up starting in Memphis, as he does when Morant is out, which is reasonably often.
    Case in point: Tyus started again last night in Morant's absence, on the 2nd game of a back to back, and again put up huge numbers:13 pts and 14 assists witn 0 turnovers. Over the last 2 days Tyus has 33 points, 24 assists and 2 turns. Dude is crushing it. If he likes his role in MEM, great, he's getting paid very handsomely for it. I don't think he could go to a better team and start, so if playing on a winning team is important to him, staying in MEM is probably his best play (ba-dunh, thcing!!!!)

Just a heads-up for the 30 or so of you who check my Devils in the NBA page: my computer had a disk failure yesterday, so the site will be down for a bit. I hope to have things up and running again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Just a heads-up for the 30 or so of you who check my Devils in the NBA page: my computer had a disk failure yesterday, so the site will be down for a bit. I hope to have things up and running again soon!
    Thanks as always; wondered why I couldn’t open this morning.