Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Matthew Hurt picked up a deal from the Grizzlies, where he’ll join Tyus Jones. Terms were not disclosed. I hope he catches on somewhere, his sophomore year gets lost in Duke history as it was the forgettable Covid season, but he completely carried us and if you were to put him on literally any other Duke team in the K era I think he would have had a huge impact.

https://twitter.com/grizzliespr/stat...HE5VFMmqhGXJcA
    The Grizz already have 15 guaranteed contracts (and Danny Green is on a partial guarantee). This is almost certainly an Exhibit 10 deal that will allow Hurt to get a bonus (likely in the $25-50k range) for reporting to the team's G-League affiliate. I believe Hurt was on a similar deal with the Grizz last season but he was injured and never played in any G-League games.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Matthew Hurt picked up a deal from the Grizzlies, where he’ll join Tyus Jones. Terms were not disclosed. I hope he catches on somewhere, his sophomore year gets lost in Duke history as it was the forgettable Covid season, but he completely carried us and if you were to put him on literally any other Duke team in the K era I think he would have had a huge impact.

https://twitter.com/grizzliespr/stat...HE5VFMmqhGXJcA
    He could have been a great college player- with potential POY in his trophy case- but he went to chase his dream.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He could have been a great college player- with potential POY in his trophy case- but he went to chase his dream.
    Paolo was on his way in. Hurt would have seen significant dropoff in minutes and production.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Grizz already have 15 guaranteed contracts (and Danny Green is on a partial guarantee).
    So, once he's healthy, worth a partial dance from Danny Green. Maybe a jig?

This is almost certainly an Exhibit 10 deal that will allow Hurt to get a bonus (likely in the $25-50k range) for reporting to the team's G-League affiliate. I believe Hurt was on a similar deal with the Grizz last season but he was injured and never played in any G-League games.
    This looks right. The Grizzlies PR tweet says that contract terms are not disclosed, but Spotrac calls it an Exhibit 10 deal for 1 year, $1,017,781. This is the same deal that DJ Steward initially had with Sacramento. Steward was waived but still pocketed $50,000 for that.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Paolo was on his way in. Hurt would have seen significant dropoff in minutes and production.
    There were many fans who were hoping for Patrick Baldwin to commit, which is a whole saga until itself on many levels but underscores the belief that if you can add talent you’ll find a way to use it. I imagine in the scenario that Hurt returned for his junior year, Theo John would not have come and we would have seen more small ball lineups with Paolo at the 5 and Hurt at the 4. Defensively there would be fit issues for sure, but that would have been fun.

There were many fans who were hoping for Patrick Baldwin to commit, which is a whole saga until itself on many levels but underscores the belief that if you can add talent you’ll find a way to use it. I imagine in the scenario that Hurt returned for his junior year, Theo John would not have come and we would have seen more small ball lineups with Paolo at the 5 and Hurt at the 4. Defensively there would be fit issues for sure, but that would have been fun.
    The "Hurt wouldn't have pl;ayed last year because Paolo was coming" is a bit odd. Hurt was first team All-ACC, wasn't he? Somehow I think K would find 25-30 minutes for him.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Today the NBA released a trailer for "The Future Starts Now", a web/app series where 3 filmmakers follow around 3 rookies on their journeys into the NBA, starting from before the draft. It's of interest here because the players are Paolo Banchero, Mark Williams, and Jalen Williams (the one from Santa Clara). I think the first episode debuts tomorrow on the NBA app? If it also gets posted on YouTube, I'll share it here.

2 of 4 preseason games on Monday feature Blue Devils on a roster. I am skipping 76ers-Cavaliers and Rockets-Heat.

WIZARDS over HORNETS 116-107

Vernon Carey Jr (WAS) had 7 points, 5 rebounds, a steal and a block in 9 bench minutes.

Mason Plumlee (CHA) started and had 4 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists in 10 minutes.
    Mark Williams (CHA) came into the game with about 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, and he went 3-for-3 in close-range shots (1 dunk and 2 layups) before halftime. He played 7 more minutes in the game but attempted no more shots. He finished with 6 points, 3 rebounds and an assist.

The Hornets, pretty much by default since Summer League, have put him behind Nick Richards on the depth chart, even though Richards appears to be less efficient and more foul-prone. Richards did put up good numbers today: 15 points and 8 rebounds in 17 minutes, along with 5 fouls.

NUGGETS over SUNS 107-105

Jack White (DEN) played the last 5 minutes of the game, missing 2 free throws, hitting his one shot attempt, and grabbing one rebound.

Frank Jackson (PHX) entered the game at the same time as Jack White, and played 5 scoreless minutes.

The running community is abuzz today at the latest of Zion's athletic feats: running a sub-60 400 meter at the end of a morning workout.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/10/11/zi...rn-daily-cover

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The "Hurt wouldn't have played last year because Paolo was coming" is a bit odd. Hurt was first team All-ACC, wasn't he? Somehow I think K would find 25-30 minutes for him.
    Yeah, Hurt + Paolo or a Hurt + Mark Williams would have given Duke serious mismatches to exploit, as Hurt offered a level of 3-pt shooting otherwise absent from last year's team. There were definitely minutes available for Hurt to be a 6'10 3-pt shooter, especially if (as pointed out by another poster) we assume that Theo John would not have been brought on board had Hurt stayed, and probably Bates Jones would not have been brought in either. Hurt would have gotten as many minutes as he could have handled.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    The running community is abuzz today at the latest of Zion's athletic feats: running a sub-60 400 meter at the end of a morning workout.

thanks for the link, great stuff!!! Let's hope Zion stays healthy all season and shows us some amazing amazingness!!!
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 10-11-2022 at 11:57 AM.

That is absolutely stunning! Freak of nature.

This is a great read. Really hope he stays healthy. Not a huge NBA fan but I am looking forward to watching how Zion, Ingram, McCollum play together for the Pels and how Paolo and Carter play together for the Magic.

Bolden got the start for the Bucks tonight and is having himself a game! 16 points on 7/8 (2/3 on 3s) shooting.

5 preseason games Tuesday, all of interest. I'm going to break this up into two posts because there's some surprising news, both bad and good, and we can't wait for the West Coast games to finish. Let's start with the bad news.

THUNDER over PISTONS 115-99

Marvin Bagley III (DET) slipped on the floor a minute into the game (or stepped on an opponent's foot?) and hurt his right knee. He'll have an MRI tomorrow. Here's the video:

MAGIC over GRIZZLIES 109-105

Paolo Banchero (ORL) played 27 minutes as a starter and had 17 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 assists.
    Wendell Carter Jr (ORL) also started and produced a line of 18-7-8 in 31 minutes. (Franz Wagner arguably was even closer to a triple double, with 14-10-7.)

Tyus Jones (MEM) came off the bench for 16 minutes and had 3 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, and a steal.
    Matthew Hurt (MEM), who was added to the team yesterday, did not play.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Bolden got the start for the Bucks tonight and is having himself a game! 16 points on 7/8 (2/3 on 3s) shooting.
    BULLS over BUCKS 127-104

Grayson Allen (MIL), reported as sick with a non-COVID illness, was one of 11 Bucks who did not play. Which created an opening for...
    Marques Bolden (MIL) started (!), played 34 minutes (!), and scored 21 points (!) off 9-of-11 FG shooting (!), including 3 of 4 three-pointers (!). He added 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 3 blocks.

I am not joking. Click the score above to see his line yourself, or watch these official but surprisingly blurry game highlights. Bagley's injury is the bigger news, but if I come across any Bolden-specific highlights, I'll share them.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Bagley's injury is the bigger news, but if I come across any Bolden-specific highlights, I'll share them.
    After my previous post, the Milwaukee Bucks posted a much clearer video of their game highlights. Not specifically Marques Bolden, but they include three of his scoring plays (start with the first play, then go to the 1:30 mark, and then 3:00).

Two late games to finish the night. Blazers-Warriors are in halftime, and I'm too tired to wait it out just for a final score.

SPURS over JAZZ 111-104

Tre Jones (SA) started and scored 13, hitting 4-5 FG and 5-5 FT. He added 3 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals.

WARRIORS lead TRAIL BLAZERS 68-56 at halftime

Justise Winslow (POR) is still out with a non-COVID illness and did not play.

Banchero + Carter + Wagner looked strong tonight for the Magic. All 6-10 guys who share the ball and make plays. This team has a chance to really make a move forward this year. And it’s the youngest team in the league.

Great to see Bolden with a huge game. I’m sure he’s been working very hard since he left Duke. Would be great to see him stick in the NBA.

Cassius Stanley is not in an NBA training camp, but he is presumably preparing for the G League season and did so in an unusual way over the weekend. He teamed up with Jimmer Fredette, Robert Baker, and Jared Wilson-Frame to play in the USA 3x3 East Regional tournament and they ended up winning.

Bolden's highlight tape from the game can be found here: https://twitter.com/DukeBetter/statu...63350230171648

He is just plain raining threes in this video!!

-Jason "let's be clear though, I doubt he is making the Bucks roster. They already have 15 dudes under contract and both of their 2-ways are committed elsewhere" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Bolden's highlight tape from the game can be found here: https://twitter.com/DukeBetter/statu...63350230171648

He is just plain raining threes in this video!!

-Jason "let's be clear though, I doubt he is making the Bucks roster. They already have 15 dudes under contract and both of their 2-ways are committed elsewhere" Evans
    I remember a shooting video of him at Duke making something like 10 3s in a row at the top of the key. The potential has always been there…

If he's able to show a consistent (ie., 33%+) 3pt shot, it makes Big 'Ques a lot more enticing as an NBA big man option.
    He sure looked good in that highlight reel, making 3s, driving for dunks, and turning Oboards into points.

Wow Bolden looked so confident shooting and so smooth- hope someone gives him a chance