Page 37 of 72 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Trevon played in only 3 NBA games and Cassius 33, same as Vernon Carey. Keels has played in one NBA game in his admittedly brief career, while Matthew Hurt has zero games under his belt. Marques Bolden has 7. I could go on.

There are so many examples that by now marginal NBA players should know to stay in school for a while, but it seems that if they were McDonald’s All Americans and were recruited by Duke, then they expect that NBA success is just around the corner.

I wonder if they regret their decisions, or if they expect an NBA team to call any day now.
    Some guys just don't want to go to school at all. I could give arguments why they should, but it's their lives and their choices. Some of these guys just feel their way to prosperity is via hoops. A lot of these guys can make a living overseas once they set aside chasing the NBA as their #1 priority.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I get it, but he has only been out of the league for a little more than 4 years. When he left the OK Thunder at the end of the 2017-18 season, the team used something called the stretch provision to spread out his salary over the next 5 years, versus taking the full cap hit in that one year. I am unsure if his paychecks were stretched over 5 seasons or if the team just reports it that way for salary cap purposes. I think he might have gotten the full $5 mil he was owed at that time. In any event, it isn't all that unusual of a deal as far as pro sports contracts go.
    I never thought about that. The salary cap payments are very public, but I suppose a deal could be cut with the player to take less "now" versus the delayed payments over time. I can't see any NBA team, i.e. a for-profit business, paying someone something they don't have to do so at the time. But maybe it's like winning the lottery and choosing how you get your money. But for cap purposes, I think it is pretty clear as far as contracts go. OKC has Singler's last salary cap hit this season.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Trevon played in only 3 NBA games and Cassius 33, same as Vernon Carey. Keels has played in one NBA game in his admittedly brief career, while Matthew Hurt has zero games under his belt. Marques Bolden has 7. I could go on.

There are so many examples that by now marginal NBA players should know to stay in school for a while, but it seems that if they were McDonald’s All Americans and were recruited by Duke, then they expect that NBA success is just around the corner.

I wonder if they regret their decisions, or if they expect an NBA team to call any day now.
    others have chimed in on the points i was gonna make, but Bolden did stay 3 years, Hurt 2. In fact of the players mentioned, only Trevon, Hurt, and DJ didn't get drafted. There is an obvious position in the NBA for Hurt and Trevon, PF and PG, respectively, but DJ was a tweener, not big enough to be a SG and not skilled/athletic enough to be a PG. I just looked up Keels' stats in the G-League, and it's gonna be tough for him to make it back to the NBA shooting 38% on FGs and 32% from 3, and 40% FTs! In fairness, he's only played 6 games so i assume he's spent a good deal of the year injured.
    I do suspect that the recruiting and rankings and projections of these guys in HS deeply influences their thinking about how competitive they are for a spot in the NBA, and that a moderate amount of success at Duke must be enough to get them and their families sold on the idea of forgoing college to play professionally. As mentioned, there are decent careers to be had for all those guys in other leagues around the world.

Justise Winslow - baby steps

theathletic.com/4082236/2023/01/20/justise-winslow-portland-trailblazers/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Great article on his trials and tribulations the last 7 years.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Honestly, I think pre-NIL vs post-NIL are very different worlds. I can easily see Trevon Duval saying, "Screw college basketball. I need to go pro ASAP!". This, say, versus DJ Steward (who left the summer before NIL was instituted) or Trevor Keels, who could easily have made good money in college.

Now, my gut sadly believes we will have at least one other DJ Steward/Trevor Keels this year, ie a player who likely isn't going to be drafted and spend lots of time in the G-League.
    Do we actually know that these guys and, maybe ladies, are making good money vis NIL? By the way, what is good money?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Do we actually know that these guys and, maybe ladies, are making good money vis NIL? By the way, what is good money?
    Well the kid who just got released from his letter of intent at Florida was expecting 13M. That is pretty good money but apparently it did not really exist.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...orida-football

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Well the kid who just got released from his letter of intent at Florida was expecting 13M. That is pretty good money but apparently it did not really exist.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...orida-football
    That response is the basis for my question. I find it hard to believe that there is that much money floating around with which to pay college players.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That response is the basis for my question. I find it hard to believe that there is that much money floating around with which to pay college players.
    It is the wild west out there- "there is gold in them there hills" and some strike it rich and others find nothing. Superstars in basketball might get real money- 1-2M but that is probably pretty rare.

Mr. Irving was definitely a stat stuffer for Brooklyn tonight as the Durant-less Nets won convincingly in Utah. Impressive numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Mr. Irving was definitely a stat stuffer for Brooklyn tonight as the Durant-less Nets won convincingly in Utah. Impressive numbers.
    Massive stat stuffer night! 48 points on 29 shots, to go with 11 rebounds. Not really a triple double but if you add his assists (6) + steals (4) then he had a less elegant triple "double".

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Massive stat stuffer night! 48 points on 29 shots, to go with 11 rebounds. Not really a triple double but if you add his assists (6) + steals (4) then he had a less elegant triple "double".
    48-11-6-4-0 ain't bad.

Great game between the Nets and the Warriors tonight. Always fun to watch the Curry boys play against each other. Seth hit some key shots and Kyrie shot it lights out again. In the post game interview Kyrie gave a shout out to Coach K. “always keep a strong face”.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    May 17th, 2023 will be our 29th anniversary. We were married at the Myrtle Beach Wedding Chapel on my annual golf trip. I really got a special lady. Love her today just as much as I did back then. Probably more.
    mrs. Neal's sewed wedding outfits for us. My Dad was Justice of the Peace and performed the ceremony, but he charged me $25 for it. 48 years and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Great game between the Nets and the Warriors tonight. Always fun to watch the Curry boys play against each other. Seth hit some key shots and Kyrie shot it lights out again. In the post game interview Kyrie gave a shout out to Coach K. “always keep a strong face”.
    Kyrie with a healthy 38 points on 22 shots to go along with 7 rebounds and 9 assists.

Also great to see Grant Hill sporting a brotherhood emblem on his ipad/tablet during the half time show!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Two words: Contract Year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    At this point, it would be preferable if Kyrie didn't remind people that he played at Duke for 11 games.

Ingram (toe) is doubtful for tonight's matchup against the Nuggets... but could be back later this week.

Zion is due to be reevaluated today after his hamstring injury three weeks ago.

Pelicans' Brandon Ingram goes through practice, could be back on the court this week
    https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...79eef41ee.html
    “I’ve dealt with injury and I pretty much know my body really, really well," Ingram said. "So it’s a little bit of confusion, a lot of patience in this process of trying to get back to 100%, where I can really push off and be who I am. I didn’t think it would take this long, but I had to listen to my body before I got back on the floor.”

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Zion is due to be reevaluated today after his hamstring injury three weeks ago.
    Pels say it will be another 2 weeks for Zion. Not only is he injury prone but it appears he is a slow healer. Sigh...

My fantasy team, "Land of Zion" is currently 10-4** and we just want to get Zion back for the playoffs in March.

**- I picked up Mark Williams recently, who had been getting rotation minutes and putting up nice numbers... until last night. Gary Trent has been killing it for me in recent weeks. I also have Wendell Carter. I have offered several ludicrous trades for Tatum, but that ain't happening.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Pels say it will be another 2 weeks for Zion. Not only is he injury prone but it appears he is a slow healer. Sigh...
    Yeah, here's the details...
    Zion Williamson will be out for at least 2 more weeks with hamstring strain
    https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...e7e4cb896.html
    The right hamstring strain Zion Williamson suffered in a Jan. 2 game against the Philadelphia 76ers will sideline him for at least another few weeks.
    Tuesday, the New Orleans Pelicans announced that Williamson is “making good progress” in his recovery and will be re-evaluated in two weeks.
    Williamson has missed the past 10 games, a stretch in which the Pelicans have posted a 3-7 record.

In fairness to Zion, hamstring injuries can really linger for anybody. When they have to deal with that body moving that high, well, I think you want to be sure it's really healed before sending him back out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    In fairness to Zion, hamstring injuries can really linger for anybody. When they have to deal with that body moving that high, well, I think you want to be sure it's really healed before sending him back out there.
    The Pels do need to figure out what it is like when Zion and BI play together. Those two guys were only on the court together for the first 14 games of the season. BI is now coming back, but Zion is gonna be a few more weeks. Gotta see if the magic the Pels found that vaulted them to the top of the West is still there when the two Dukies are playing together.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?