Page 36 of 72 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wife and I got married in her parents' backyard. 16 years later, it seems to have worked okay.
    I got married in a Catholic Church while in graduate school, but my wife looked great in a wedding gown that a friend who worked in a dry cleaner lent her. We didn’t ask, but we assumed that another unsuspecting bride left it to be dry cleaned and then took off on her honeymoon, but we returned it the next day so I’m sure she was none the wiser. The two wedding bands cost a total of $100 and the reception was at her aunt’s house.

44 years and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I got married in a Catholic Church while in graduate school, but my wife looked great in a wedding gown that a friend who worked in a dry cleaner lent her. We didn’t ask, but we assumed that another unsuspecting bride left it to be dry cleaned and then took off on her honeymoon, but we returned it the next day so I’m sure she was none the wiser. The two wedding bands cost a total of $100 and the reception was at her aunt’s house.

44 years and counting.
    My wife's dress was literally from a thrift store. She spent less than $20 on it and then spent about $200 to have it altered.

Three cheers for cheap weddings.

My wife's dress was literally from a thrift store. She spent less than $20 on it and then spent about $200 to have it altered.

Yup. We had our reception in the church basement 45 years ago. We served punch and mixed nuts. Total cost, less than $200.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    May he overachieve in his next contract as Miles did, one of the most fortuitous contracts in recent memory...(Mason should have plenty of suitors)
    Mason has already earned $73 mil.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/charlott...cash-earnings/

Miles’ wife dress got a bit of attention for the nothing that was underneath- those Australian super models…

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    the man has made over $50M in NBA contract money, and the facial hair is what caught your eye and not that he got married in black jeans? in civil service at the clerk's office?
    Far be it from me to advocate the useless waste of money on elaborate weddings, in fact i myself got married in a civil service at the clerk's office in khaki's and a nice tropical shirt, but i was broker than a joke.
    I have been married twice. The first wedding was a runaway thing (we didn’t tell anyone) and we did the deed dressed in blue jeans in Greta Green Scotland. A famous place for eloping in the UK. Nine months later I had moved to Brasil and had no idea that that place could change your life (wife). Yada yada yada, one divorce later I married my Brazilian beauty in a civil ceremony at Southwark Register office London. That was 32 years ago.

So. I do agree 100% with Miles (2x).
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Miles’ wife dress got a bit of attention for the nothing that was underneath- those Australian super models…
    Oh, I er, hadn't noticed.

Just 'cause I was curious, I searched up a few Duke players professionally. Some interesting facts:

1. Kyle Singler retired long ago but is still getting paid this year by OKC to the tune of $999,200.
    2. Jordan Goldwire was in the G-League but was waived by the Austin Spurs in December.
    3. Quinn Cook scored 54 points for the Zhejiang Lions in the CBA in December.
    4. DJ Steward is with the Stockton Kings in the G-League, but SAC did pay him $50,000 this year that counts against the cap.
    5. Cassius Stanley, Matthew Hurt, Frank Jackson, Marques Bolden, Trevon Duval and Jah Okafor are in the G-League. Jackson and Bolden both play for the Salt Lake City Stars.
    6. Tre Jones (SAS) and Vernon Carey (WAS) are currently on assignment in the G-League.
    7. Gary Trent Jr is making $17,505,000 this year with TOR and has a player option for more next year.
    8. Jason Tatum is making $30,351,780 this year with BOS and is on contract for the next 2 years, then has a player option the year after that.
    9. Kyrie Irving is making $36,934,550 this year with BRK and is an unrestricted FA next year.
    10. Javin DeLaurier is playing with the Hapoel Holon in the Israeli Basketball Premier League.
    11. Rasheed Sulaimon is playing professional ball in Turkey. He's been on the Nigerian national basketball team.
    12. Semi Ojeleye played struggled for several years in the NBA, then last year signed with Virtus Bologna in the Italian League, won their championship and was named MVP in the playoffs.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    6. Tre Jones (SAS) [is] currently on assignment in the G-League.

9F
    When did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    When did this happen?
    He started for the Spurs on Tuesday, as he has all season.

Wife and I got married in her parents' backyard. 16 years later, it seems to have worked okay.
    May 17th, 2023 will be our 29th anniversary. We were married at the Myrtle Beach Wedding Chapel on my annual golf trip. I really got a special lady. Love her today just as much as I did back then. Probably more.

Just 'cause I was curious, I searched up a few Duke players professionally. Some interesting facts:

1. Kyle Singler retired long ago but is still getting paid this year by OKC to the tune of $999,200.
    2. Jordan Goldwire was in the G-League but was waived by the Austin Spurs in December.
    4. DJ Steward is with the Stockton Kings in the G-League, but SAC did pay him $50,000 this year that counts against the cap.
    5. Cassius Stanley, Matthew Hurt, Frank Jackson, Marques Bolden, Trevon Duval and Jah Okafor are in the G-League. Jackson and Bolden both play for the Salt Lake City Stars.
    6. Tre Jones (SAS) and Vernon Carey (WAS) are currently on assignment in the G-League.
    7. Gary Trent Jr is making $17,505,000 this year with TOR and has a player option for more next year.
    8. Jason Tatum is making $30,351,780 this year with BOS and is on contract for the next 2 years, then has a player option the year after that.
    9. Kyrie Irving is making $36,934,550 this year with BRK and is an unrestricted FA next year.
    10. Javin DeLaurier is playing with the Hapoel Holon in the Israeli Basketball Premier League.
    11. Rasheed Sulaimon is playing professional ball in Turkey. He's been on the Nigerian national basketball team.
    12. Semi Ojeleye played struggled for several years in the NBA, then last year signed with Virtus Bologna in the Italian League, won their championship and was named MVP in the playoffs.

9F
    Tre Jones has started for the Spurs all year, and has put up excellent stats all year.
    Semi was a regular reserve for the Celtics for a few years, and earned millions of dollars in the NBA. I'm not sure i would call that struggling. Very cool though that he won the Camionato Italiano and was the MVP!!!

DJ Steward will go down as one of the worst decision-makers to ever put on a Duke uniform. Who knows if he would have been able to make an NBA roster by staying an extra year, but he hasn't made one yet, and I doubt he ever will. At least Trevon and Cassius played a few games in the NBA, and both are exceptional athletes, but too small/unskilled/bad shooter to nudge somebody else off of an NBA roster.

9F
    I stand corrected about Tre Jones, my apologies. I was looking at old information from a previous year. I haven't watched nor paid attention to SAS much this year (for good reason).
    For Semi, perhaps "struggled" was too harsh a word, but he never did get that big contract from a NBA perspective. Of course, making $8M over 5 years would be amazing for most regular folk. Many guys make careers abroad. I recall Erik Meek played well in Greece for several years.

The one that makes me laugh is #1, Singler still getting paid. Money for nothing! It's often interesting to look at salary cap data.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

The one that makes me laugh is #1, Singler still getting paid. Money for nothing! It's often interesting to look at salary cap data.
    I get it, but he has only been out of the league for a little more than 4 years. When he left the OK Thunder at the end of the 2017-18 season, the team used something called the stretch provision to spread out his salary over the next 5 years, versus taking the full cap hit in that one year. I am unsure if his paychecks were stretched over 5 seasons or if the team just reports it that way for salary cap purposes. I think he might have gotten the full $5 mil he was owed at that time. In any event, it isn't all that unusual of a deal as far as pro sports contracts go.

I mean, he's no Bobby Bonilla.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I stand corrected about Tre Jones, my apologies. I was looking at old information from a previous year. I haven't watched nor paid attention to SAS much this year (for good reason).
    For Semi, perhaps "struggled" was too harsh a word, but he never did get that big contract from a NBA perspective. Of course, making $8M over 5 years would be amazing for most regular folk. Many guys make careers abroad. I recall Erik Meek played well in Greece for several years.

9F
    still getting buckets….
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I get it, but he has only been out of the league for a little more than 4 years. When he left the OK Thunder at the end of the 2017-18 season, the team used something called the stretch provision to spread out his salary over the next 5 years, versus taking the full cap hit in that one year. I am unsure if his paychecks were stretched over 5 seasons or if the team just reports it that way for salary cap purposes. I think he might have gotten the full $5 mil he was owed at that time. In any event, it isn't all that unusual of a deal as far as pro sports contracts go.

I mean, he's no Bobby Bonilla.
    The Lakers did the same with Luol Deng over three years. He came off the books last year. There was talk of use it on Westbrook last year. Teams can have only one player on the board under the provision.

All too common

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    DJ Steward will go down as one of the worst decision-makers to ever put on a Duke uniform. Who knows if he would have been able to make an NBA roster by staying an extra year, but he hasn't made one yet, and I doubt he ever will. At least Trevon and Cassius played a few games in the NBA, and both are exceptional athletes, but too small/unskilled/bad shooter to nudge somebody else off of an NBA roster.
    Trevon played in only 3 NBA games and Cassius 33, same as Vernon Carey. Keels has played in one NBA game in his admittedly brief career, while Matthew Hurt has zero games under his belt. Marques Bolden has 7. I could go on.

There are so many examples that by now marginal NBA players should know to stay in school for a while, but it seems that if they were McDonald’s All Americans and were recruited by Duke, then they expect that NBA success is just around the corner.

I wonder if they regret their decisions, or if they expect an NBA team to call any day now.
    Last edited by miramar; 01-19-2023 at 04:23 PM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The Lakers did the same with Luol Deng over three years. He came off the books last year. There was talk of use it on Westbrook last year. Teams can have only one player on the board under the provision.
    is Georgia Tech still paying Paul Hewitt?

Trevon played in only 3 NBA games and Cassius 33, same as Vernon Carey. Keels has played in one NBA game in his admittedly brief career, while Matthew Hurt has zero games under his belt. Marques Bolden has 7. I could go on.

There are so many examples that by now marginal NBA players should know to stay in school for a while, but it seems that if they were McDonald’s All Americans and were recruited by Duke, then they expect that NBA success is just around the corner.

I wonder if they regret their decisions, or if they expect an NBA team to call any day now.
    Not sure it's quite fair to include Bolden on this list. He did stay 3 years after all, and only left because it was clear he wasn't going to see an increase in playing time in his 4th year with Carey coming in.

Honestly, I think pre-NIL vs post-NIL are very different worlds. I can easily see Trevon Duval saying, "Screw college basketball. I need to go pro ASAP!". This, say, versus DJ Steward (who left the summer before NIL was instituted) or Trevor Keels, who could easily have made good money in college.

Now, my gut sadly believes we will have at least one other DJ Steward/Trevor Keels this year, ie a player who likely isn't going to be drafted and spend lots of time in the G-League.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club