Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    not that this refutes your closing claim, but has Zion dunked on Giannis? If not, do you think he could?
    Not sure why that even matters. I’ve never understood the hysteria some fans go into simply because a player successfully dunks the ball while being defended at the rim. They act like the defender got humiliated or something simply because he wasn’t able to prevent the dunk.

Typically, the offensive player has a major advantage in these types of plays and should be able to successfully complete the dunk, unless he’s fouled in the process. If the offensive player didn’t feel he had the advantage he likely would not have gone for a dunk in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Not sure why that even matters. I’ve never understood the hysteria some fans go into simply because a player successfully dunks the ball while being defended at the rim. They act like the defender got humiliated or something simply because he wasn’t able to prevent the dunk.

Typically, the offensive player has a major advantage in these types of plays and should be able to successfully complete the dunk, unless he’s fouled in the process. If the offensive player didn’t feel he had the advantage he likely would not have gone for a dunk in the first place.
    With an attitude like expressed in your post, no one would ever get schooled or owned. Without that, no more childish histrionics. What would become of the internet? ☺️

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The few times Zion and Giannis have played, Giannis has gotten the better of Zion.

Zion could definitely dunk on Giannis, but Giannis could also dunk 5x as many times on Zion.
    Giannis is long long long and much taller. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    With an attitude like expressed in your post, no one would ever get schooled or owned. Without that, no more childish histrionics. What would become of the internet? ☺️
    Isn’t that why all of us watch. To see defensive players get humiliated. I mean, without that what’s the fun in it all?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I'm a fairly big Celtics fan, but there isn't a team I'm more excited about than the Pelicans (okay, the Celtics coaching drama has made the team a lot less interesting to me...).

Ingram and McCollum have been an awesome offensive duo. Their complementary players are highly complementary and offer tons of defense, rebounding, and opportunistic scoring. But add arguably the second most unique player in the last 20 years in Zion? It's going to be fascinating, as long as Zion is healthy (and sadly, this is far from a given). He is such a joy to watch and I believe Ingram/McCollum are two great dudes who really wanna play with Zion.

And the #1 most unique player in the NBA? Giannis, and it's not particularly close.
    Monsieur Victor is on his way. He looks like he could out unique Giannis.

And if he has half of Giannis’ personality, that’d be even better.

Speaking of Giannis, the Milwaukee Bucks played the Atlanta Hawks in Abu Dhabi earlier today. The Hawks won 123-113. Here are some game highlights:

Grayson Allen (MIL) started and had 13 points and 5 rebounds in 22 minutes.
    Marques Bolden (MIL) did not play.

AJ Griffin (ATL) played the last minute of the game and did not record any stats.
    Jalen Johnson (ATL) is recovering from a "non-COVID illness" and did not make the trip.

The two teams play a second game in Abu Dhabi Saturday at noon ET (NBA TV).

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Lol.

I am humbled and chastened by your wisdom, Indoor66. 😉

Six preseason games today. No Duke content in the game between the Adelaide 36ers and the OKC Thunder. Though the Thunder Media Guide PDF says that former Duke MBB student manager Amanda Green (class of 2006) is now a VP/Team Counsel & Strategic Alignment. Duke undergrad, Georgetown Law, Strategic Alignment? That's one circuitous career route just to become Chet Holmgren's chiropractor.

See my above post for the Bucks-Hawks game in Abu Dhabi that took place this afternoon.

Heat over Nets 109-80

No Duke content here either. Before the game, a Nets reporter tweeted that "Steve Nash said Joe Harris and Kyrie Irving will not play tonight against the Heat. Seth Curry and TJ Warren remain out as well"

Magic over Spurs 102-99

Wendell Carter Jr (ORL) started at center and had 20 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 blocks in 22 minutes.
    Paolo Banchero (ORL) started at PF and had 9 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals in 22 minutes.

Tre Jones (SA) started at the point for 11 minutes and had 11 points off perfect shooting (4-4 FG, 1-1 3pt, 2-2 FT), plus 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and a steal.

Here are some game highlights:

Timberwolves over Lakers 114-99 in Las Vegas

Austin Rivers (MIN) played 12 reserve minutes and had 5 points.
    Wendell Moore Jr (MIN) also played 12 minutes off the bench and finished with 9 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, and 2 steals.

Not to compare, but the last time Moore played in the T-Mobile Arena, it was Duke's win last year against Gonzaga, and he had 20 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 6 steals. Memories...

Trail Blazers over Maccabi 138-85

Make it three Duke-free games. Justise Winslow (POR) did not play -- according to this reporter, he was merely rested tonight.

Jack White Looking in Good in Denver!

As a Denver Duke alum, I was pretty happy to see this . . . hoping for a good year for Jack.
    https://www.si.com/college/duke/nba-...nuggets-record

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Too soon…
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Too soon…
    No. Too late…😢

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    No. Too late…😢
    Well he was certainly due. Just had his bad stretch at Duke

Carter with some really nice plays in the above highlights including a quick dish to Banchero for a dunk around the 4:10 mark.

Carter finishing lobs, making 3s, getting blocks at the rim and making a smooth step back jumper in the lane. He’s evolved into a solid NBA starter - will be fun to cheer for the Carter-Banchero frontcourt this year.

I was born
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Too soon…
    I was born
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Too late…😢
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Well he was certainly due. Just had his bad stretch at Duke
    DBR fans with their cover version of American Music by the Violent Femmes...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Carter with some really nice plays in the above highlights including a quick dish to Banchero for a dunk around the 4:10 mark.

Carter finishing lobs, making 3s, getting blocks at the rim and making a smooth step back jumper in the lane. He’s evolved into a solid NBA starter - will be fun to cheer for the Carter-Banchero frontcourt this year.
    Banchero (#4) and Carter (#2) both made last night's NBA Top 10 Plays video:

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Speaking of Giannis, the Milwaukee Bucks played the Atlanta Hawks in Abu Dhabi earlier today. The Hawks won 123-113...

AJ Griffin (ATL) played the last minute of the game and did not record any stats.
    Jalen Johnson (ATL) is recovering from a "non-COVID illness" and did not make the trip.
    Quoting myself because I was amused by what the DBR front page had to say about this game:

"Jared Jackson suited up for the Atlanta Hawks but got a DNP. AJ Griffin got in, but only for a minute."

Three mistakes in only four words. That's amazing efficiency.

Another Duke person in the NBA: I found Martynas Pocius in the staff directory of the Denver Nuggets. He is the Assistant Director of Pro Personnel. I assume he helps Jack White and other young Denver players develop a reputation for not fouling.

7 NBA preseason games Friday night, all taking place within an hour of each other. One on NBA TV, none on ESPN, blacked out regional coverage. Are they promoting League Pass or something? (Narrator: Yes, they are.)

CELTICS over HORNETS 112-103 in Greensboro

Mason Plumlee (CHA) started again at center and had 9 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 blocks in 23 minutes.
    Mark Williams (CHA) played the last 17 minutes of the game and had 7 points, 7 rebounds, two assists, and a block.

Jayson Tatum (BOS) did not play. Resting? Based on this tweeted video, he made the trip to Greensboro but was not in uniform.

KNICKS over PACERS 131-114

RJ Barrett (NY) started and went 18-3-3 in 27 minutes of play. Highlights below.
    Cam Reddish (NY) also started, despite a sprained left ankle. His line was sponsored by a specific number: 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals in 22 minutes.
    Trevor Keels (NY) played the last minute of the game and recorded no stats.

BULLS over NUGGETS 131-113

Jack White (DEN) played 6 bench minutes and had 2 points, 3 rebounds, and a steal. (Pocius: "No fouls, though. See?")

ROCKETS over RAPTORS 116-100

Gary Trent Jr (TOR) started and had 10 points, 1 assist, and 2 steals in 26 minutes.

HEAT over GRIZZLIES 111-108

Tyus Jones (MEM) played 20 scoreless minutes off the bench, but did have 4 rebounds and 5 assists.

PELICANS over PISTONS 107-101

Zion Williamson (NO) started and had 13 points in 20 minutes, but missed 9 of 12 free throws.
    Brandon Ingram (NO) did not play. The team listed him as questionable (left fifth toe soreness).

Marvin Bagley III (DET) was the starting PF and had 6 points and 5 rebounds in 19 minutes. He fouled out with over 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter, possibly because the Pistons didn't hire any of the Duke guys named Marty.

MAGIC over MAVERICKS 110-105

Paolo Banchero (ORL) started and had 19 points and 5 rebounds in 21 minutes.
    Wendell Carter Jr (ORL) started and went 5-8-5 in 21 minutes.

AJ Griffin with a nice game for the Hawks today in Abu Dhabi. 25 minutes played, 4-8 FG, 3-5 3FG, 13 points.

Meanwhile, Trae Young had 31 points in the first half and then largely rested the second half. Whew!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    AJ Griffin with a nice game for the Hawks today in Abu Dhabi. 25 minutes played, 4-8 FG, 3-5 3FG, 13 points.
    Yeah, this feels like the more appropriate debut for AJ Griffin. The Hawks did him dirty last game, putting him in with a minute to go. I have to wonder if their plans for Griffin were forgotten or abandoned when they acquired Dejounte Murray.

This was the only NBA game for Saturday -- I guess basketball people respect college football. There are preseason NBA games on Sunday, probably in mild retaliation for Tom Brady singlehandedly ruining Selection Sunday. Screw that guy.

HAWKS over BUCKS 118-109

AJ Griffin (ATL) played parts of all 4 quarters, and also had 2 rebounds and a steal.
    Jalen Johnson (ATL) had strep throat (AJC pay link) and did not travel with the team to Abu Dhabi.

Grayson Allen (MIL) started and had 7 points, 3 rebounds, and an assist in 16 minutes.
    Marques Bolden (MIL) played the first 7 minutes of the 4th quarter and had 1 point and 2 rebounds.

In the game highlights, Griffin has a couple of scoring plays from 6:45-7:05, but I'm embedding a video showing him score his first NBA points:

6 preseason games Sunday, and 4 of them have Duke players on a roster. Lakers-Warriors? So many storylines! And not one of them is relevant to this thread.

BULLS over RAPTORS 115-98

Gary Trent Jr (TOR) was a starter and played 29 minutes. He put up 17 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals. Let's share his scoring highlights.

PELICANS over SPURS 111-97

Zion Williamson (NO) started, played 24 minutes, and had 8 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, a steal and a block.
    Brandon Ingram (NO) did not play -- he was still listed as questionable with a sore left toe.

Tre Jones (SA) played 19 minutes as a starter and scored 9. He added 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and a steal.

KINGS over TRAIL BLAZERS 126-94

Quinn Cook (SAC) did not play. I couldn't find an injury report or any stated reason.

Justise Winslow (POR) did not play. According to a reporter on the official Blazers site, he's out with a non-COVID illness.

TIMBERWOLVES over CLIPPERS 119-117

Austin Rivers (MIN) had 7 points, 1 assist, and 2 steals in 12 minutes off the bench.
    Wendell Moore Jr (MIN) played 6 scoreless minutes but did have 2 rebounds.

Luke Kennard (LAC) came off the bench and went 3-3 in 3-point shots to finish with 9 points in 19 minutes.

Matthew Hurt picked up a deal from the Grizzlies, where he’ll join Tyus Jones. Terms were not disclosed. I hope he catches on somewhere, his sophomore year gets lost in Duke history as it was the forgettable Covid season, but he completely carried us and if you were to put him on literally any other Duke team in the K era I think he would have had a huge impact.

https://twitter.com/grizzliespr/stat...HE5VFMmqhGXJcA