Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Hmm..may have been my fault, if DoubleBlue was going off of my list. I had periods in the "A.J." and the site I was scraping the data from did not, so he was skipped entirely! Oops. And he has been skipped all season.

Today's result has been fixed.

I see AJ in the current table. One error: I see a guy named "Jalen Johnson" not sure who that is. I looked at the end of season rosters for Duke basketball going back quite a few years and I couldn't find him on any end of season roster.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Excellent! I hereby retire from being the point counter.
    Didn't mean to steal your job, but perhaps this just made it easier for you to inform us all of the _multiple_ times our daily record will be broken this season...

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Didn't mean to steal your job, but perhaps this just made it easier for you to inform us all of the _multiple_ times our daily record will be broken this season...
    Its fair game. I was just using my spreadsheet skills to highlight your excellent work.

Thanks for the overview. I’m shocked Mark Williams isn’t on the Hornets roster, currently, especially with those rebounding stats. I’m more shocked that Hayward is drawing 30 mil. Butler’s golden boy. So glad Duke beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I had no idea the G League season started, and that ESPN kept a scoreboard. Trevor Keels and Jack White have two-way contracts. Mark Williams, Wendell Moore Jr, and Vernon Carey Jr have NBA roster spots but were probably reassigned to see more action in the G League than they would at the end of their benches. The rest are on G League contracts.

I don't know anything about Chase Jeter. Is he playing overseas?

FRIDAY

Maine Celtics 119, Westchester Knicks 111
    Trevor Keels started for the Knicks in a three-guard lineup. He had 25 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals in 36 minutes, shooting 10/16 inside but 1/8 outside.

Greensboro Swarm 128, Delaware Blue Coats 108
    Mark Williams was the Swarm starting center, played 28 minutes, and had 20 points, 15 rebounds, and a block.

Memphis Hustle 123, Lakeland Magic 105
    Matthew Hurt came off the Hustle bench for 27 minutes and had 21 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals.

Texas Legends 120, Austin Spurs 113
    Jordan Goldwire played 26 reserve minutes for the Spurs, scoring 8 points and adding 2 rebounds, 5 assists, and a steal.

SATURDAY

Fort Wayne Mad Ants 152, Grand Rapids Gold 129
    Jack White started for the Gold in a three-forward lineup and played 34 minutes. He had 18 points, 14 rebounds, 3 assists, and a steal.

Delaware Blue Coats 112, Greensboro Swarm 104
    Mark Williams followed up Friday's G League debut with 9-of-11 shooting and had 22 points, 16 rebounds, and 3 blocks in 31 minutes.

Raptors [905] 110, Capital City Go-Go 107
    Vernon Carey Jr started at center for the Go-Go, playing 25 minutes and having 21 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, and a block.

South Bay Lakers 127, Stockton Kings 122
    DJ Steward came off the Kings bench for 29 minutes and led all scorers with 31. He added 2 rebounds, 5 assists, a steal, and a block.
    Alex O'Connell, also a Kings reserve, played 12 minutes and had 9 points, 2 rebounds, and a block.

Iowa Wolves 123, Sioux Falls Skyforce 105
    Wendell Moore Jr, starting forward for the Wolves, had 17 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, a steal, and a block in 29 minutes.

Austin Spurs 127, Texas Legends 122
    Jordan Goldwire followed up Friday's pro debut with 4 points, 1 rebound, and 2 assists in 29 minutes off the Spurs bench.

Zion/NBA

I had an opportunity to see Zion play in Atlanta last weekend. It was my first NBA game. I was fortunate enough to receive a free ticket for a suite to watch my favorite player ever in a game that went to overtime. Somehow, I still found myself bored most of the time. The constant music playing during the game, the hype man on the loud speaker being allowed to yell things out during live play, the lack of intensity on the court - I just don't get it.

Zion appeared to either still be struggling with his conditioning or just not as emotionally involved as he once was. He was frequently walking up the court behind the play. I didn't see much emotion from him. He still scored efficiently. He still has a unique ability to spin and explode to the basket at the right angle, using his body positioning to soar in for an easy layup, but it wasn't the same as watching him in college. I worry that the NBA has sucked the life out of him.

The Pelicans had a chance to win on the last possession in regulation when the game was tied. The coach decided to let Ingram miss a jump shot as time expired instead of having Zion drive. Perhaps he had talked to Coach K before the game about what had worked so well at the end of the Michigan State game. Zion got benched at the end of the overtime period when he appeared to be getting a bit frustrated. I catch myself thinking about how I would like to go back in time to Zion's year at Duke. Or what if NIL had started a few years earlier? Would Zion have been happy making millions off endorsements in college and have won a championship as a senior in Coach K's final season?

Keep in mind he was playing in back to back games. The Pelicans played the Warriors the night before. However, as a Pelicans fan I will admit that I have not been overwhelmed by his performance this season. I don;t know that he's being used properly. I think Zion needs to be used as a point forward and not a small ball center. He takes a lot of beatings in the post. But I agree his conditioning still seems to be an issue, and his defense is a liability.

tonight is the Battle of the Jones Brothers as MEM takes on SAS. So far, Tyus has got the upper hand in stats, but his brother is a starter, and it's a tie game...

Wendell Carter with an efficient dub-dub but no Banchero (sprained left ankle)

The Battle of the Jones Brothers goes to Tyus, as MEM defeats SAS. Tre had a dub-dub in points and assists (11 each) vs only 2 turns, while Tyus had 11 pts and 3 asts vs 1 turn. Tyus shot better from the floor (4-10) than Tre (4-13). The Spurs have won more games so far than they were supposed to, and i wonder how much of that might be due to the surprising play of Tre Jones, who is averaging 12.6 ppg, 6.4 apg vs. 2.1 tpg and 3.8 rpg. All quite good. Tyus has been unusually shaky withe ball this year with a 3.5 : 1 a:t, a good bit lower than his career 6:1 ratio.

Elsewhere, Tatum almost exactly matched his scoring average for the season with 31. Seth Curry had his first high-quality game of the year, going for 23, after a quiet first 3 games returning from injury. MP2 had a very nice dub-dub (16&12) in CHO's loss (no sign of Mark Williams). Ingram and Zion both had solid (slightly below average for each) games as NOLA lost. Lots of other solid games from the coterie of Duke players in the league, but not from Cam Reddish, who continues his wildly erratic, inconsistent play with an 0fer of a game. Actually, i guess it's fair to point out that extremely low-quality performances from him are rather consistent. Despite all the raves about what an exciting prospect he is, well, his play has been lacking.
    I'm interested to see how well Bagley plays when he returns, and since he plays at DET with no other Dukies whatever stats he contributes will simply add to the total for Duke alums in the NBA for the season.
    We have seen next to nothing from Keels, Wendell or Mark Williams (MW has played a few minutes for CHO) so far this season. There are several guys holding on to G-League roster spots, so we may see several other Duke alums play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Ingram and Zion both had solid (slightly below average for each) games as NOLA lost.
    I watched the New Orleans/Chicago game last night, and unless I was dreaming the Pelicans won. BI and Zion contributed strong 2nd halfs, and hit some clutch shots/FT’s down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I watched the New Orleans/Chicago game last night, and unless I was dreaming the Pelicans won. BI and Zion contributed strong 2nd halfs, and hit some clutch shots/FT’s down the stretch.
    Strong 4th quarter. They scored a combined 27 points (Pellies scored 36 points in that quarter).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    you're right!!! My brain transposed a recent loss over the fact that they won!
    The box score obviously can't indicate clutch performances, but they came thru in the 4th (per YouTube videos...)
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 11-10-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Watched 2nd half of Sixers vs. Hawks last night. I know the Sixers are built to be a playoff team, but it has been painful to watch them early in this season. But I digress…

Hadn’t seen AJ Griffin yet this season—he looked very comfortable on the court, generally letting the game come to him, but being aggressive when situations presented themselves. And he seems to have sped up the release on his already smooth 3pt jumper. Couldn’t really judge his D since the Sixers were so bad, but nice to see AJ fitting in so well this early his rookie season.

Just a shoutout for Tre Jones, starting PG for the Spurs, averaging 12.6 points, 6.4 assists and only 2.1 turnovers.

Great to see him having so much success. And you know he’s playing great defense every night!

14. Quote Originally Posted by Tommy12 View Post
    The Pelicans had a chance to win on the last possession in regulation when the game was tied. The coach decided to let Ingram miss a jump shot as time expired instead of having Zion drive. Perhaps he had talked to Coach K before the game about what had worked so well at the end of the Michigan State game. Zion got benched at the end of the overtime period when he appeared to be getting a bit frustrated. I catch myself thinking about how I would like to go back in time to Zion's year at Duke. Or what if NIL had started a few years earlier? Would Zion have been happy making millions off endorsements in college and have won a championship as a senior in Coach K's final season?
    IIRC, Zion had cramps towards the end of the game and in OT, that's why he didn't play.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    IIRC, Zion had cramps towards the end of the game and in OT, that's why he didn't play.
    still, Zion put up big-time numbers, and shot much better from the field than his season average. Zion is also now a 50% 3FG shooter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    The Battle of the Jones Brothers goes to Tyus, as MEM defeats SAS. Tre had a dub-dub in points and assists (11 each) vs only 2 turns, while Tyus had 11 pts and 3 asts vs 1 turn. Tyus shot better from the floor (4-10) than Tre (4-13). The Spurs have won more games so far than they were supposed to, and i wonder how much of that might be due to the surprising play of Tre Jones, who is averaging 12.6 ppg, 6.4 apg vs. 2.1 tpg and 3.8 rpg. All quite good. Tyus has been unusually shaky withe ball this year with a 3.5 : 1 a:t, a good bit lower than his career 6:1 ratio.

Elsewhere, Tatum almost exactly matched his scoring average for the season with 31. Seth Curry had his first high-quality game of the year, going for 23, after a quiet first 3 games returning from injury. MP2 had a very nice dub-dub (16&12) in CHO's loss (no sign of Mark Williams). Ingram and Zion both had solid (slightly below average for each) games as NOLA lost. Lots of other solid games from the coterie of Duke players in the league, but not from Cam Reddish, who continues his wildly erratic, inconsistent play with an 0fer of a game. Actually, i guess it's fair to point out that extremely low-quality performances from him are rather consistent. Despite all the raves about what an exciting prospect he is, well, his play has been lacking.
    I'm interested to see how well Bagley plays when he returns, and since he plays at DET with no other Dukies whatever stats he contributes will simply add to the total for Duke alums in the NBA for the season.
    We have seen next to nothing from Keels, Wendell or Mark Williams (MW has played a few minutes for CHO) so far this season. There are several guys holding on to G-League roster spots, so we may see several other Duke alums play this year.
    I give Tyus a lot of credit for re-signing with the Griz at $29 million over two years. He apparently likes his situation as a backup (who plays a lot)...in two years he can decide again...

17. Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I give Tyus a lot of credit for re-signing with the Griz at $29 million over two years. He apparently likes his situation as a backup (who plays a lot)...in two years he can decide again...
    I hate it...Tyus is much better than his stats suggest. Just check out what Tre is doing on the Spurs and I've always thought Tyus was a better NBA player.

I hate it...Tyus is much better than his stats suggest. Just check out what Tre is doing on the Spurs and I've always thought Tyus was a better NBA player.
    Tre is a bit stouter than Tyus and plays a bit more of a physical game, which may translate more effectively at the NBA level, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.
    Tyus's ball control has been otherworldly for his whole career, during which he is sporting a 6:1 a:t, but has plummeted to 3.6:1 this year, which is still better than Tre's ~3:1 ratio.
    Tyus's Griz are 8-4, while Tre's Spurs are 5-7.

Grayson Allen listed as"has not entered game". He averaging 10.8 pts, 2.8 R, 2.7 A, so I lgoogled to see if he was injured. He is listed out due to sickness, but there were also several articles from today that the Bucks are calling around to see if teams are interested. Specifically they may be interested in Jae Crowder, who basically walked away from the Sun's (just before Cam Johnson went down). I would like to see him stay with the Bucks, but it is something to keep an eye on.

There isn't a team in the league that would value Tre over Tyus at this point in their careers. Tre's reputation is improving, for sure, but Tyus is widely regarded as one of the best backup PGs in the league and there are many teams upon which he would be a starter (including the Spurs). He is quite happy making 8-digits per year and being an important piece on a team that seems to be among the top 6-10 in the league.

When all is said and done, he is highly likely to be above $100 million in career earnings (he is current contract will put him at $61 mil in career earnings and he will be a free agent in the summer of 2024 at age 28)... enough money so that he and at least the next couple generations of Joneses will likely never need to worry about money their entire lives.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?