Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It was so exciting seeing him back doing Zion things. Also, his smile is so infectious and all his quotes have been so enthusiastic and enjoyable.

The only player I can think of that has had a higher ceiling than Zion does right now is Zion a few years ago before his injuries.
    Agreed. And can you imagine what would happen if Zion hit 3's like he did in his first NBA game? Remember how he hit 4 in a row in the final quarter of that game? It was truly wild. If he develops any kind of consistent shot from outside 15 feet, it's over for the rest of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    So Tatum was better than Tatum at Duke? LOL, I realize it was just a typo. Couldn't help myself. Don't beat me up.
    Haha, I think the accumulation of all of those fist fights may have damaged my brain. Maybe that explains why I like both the Yankees and the Red Sox, I’ve never heard of anyone else who does.

To be fair I was born in Boston, was raised there in my early years, and attended many Red Sox games. Dad was a rocket scientist (for lack of a better term) at Raytheon, a defense contractor based in Boston. We later moved to west Texas so he could help run Raytheon’s missile program at White Sands Missile Range, first working on Hawk, then Patriot.

I learned to love the Yankees because of all the stories my dad, who was a big fan, would tell me about such Yankees as Whitey Ford, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Billy Martin, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra, Allie Reynolds, Elston Howard, Gil McDougald, Mel Stottlemyre, Bobby Richardson, Vic Raschi, Tony Kubek, Ryne Duren, Phil Rizzuto, and many more.

Yep, Yankees AND Red Sox. Strange, but true.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's my contribution to this discussion. No one in the history of basketball has had a better combination of size, strength, skill and athleticism than Zion Williamson. I'd say he has the highest ceiling -- he just needs to stay healthy.
    Lebron and Wilt say hello

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Lebron and Wilt say hello
    Noted. But I think my statement stands.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Here's my contribution to this discussion. No one in the history of basketball has had a better combination of size, strength, skill and athleticism than Zion Williamson. I'd say he has the highest ceiling -- he just needs to stay healthy.
    Actually, Zion's "size" is really underwhelming for his position. He's only 6'6" with a 6'10" wingspan. Pretty 'meh' for a PF. And his skill doesn't include any range on his shooting.

Which is why, even with those two handicaps, Zion is even more impressive. Incredible, really.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Actually, Zion's "size" is really underwhelming for his position. He's only 6'6" with a 6'10" wingspan. Pretty 'meh' for a PF. And his skill doesn't include any range on his shooting.

Which is why, even with those two handicaps, Zion is even more impressive. Incredible, really.
    No one ever like Zion in hoops -- very heavily muscled; jump-out-of-the-gym athletic; big*; and highly skilled.** I am certainly not saying he's the best player ever, but he IS unique.

This is just my opinion.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Zion is someone to celebrate, not to argue about.'

* 6-6 and 280, as opposed to six footers with the other attributes.
    ** He shows his upbringing as a point guard. Again, not the best at basketball skills, but clearly a very positive aspect of his NBA game.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Haha, I think the accumulation of all of those fist fights may have damaged my brain. Maybe that explains why I like both the Yankees and the Red Sox, I’ve never heard of anyone else who does.

To be fair I was born in Boston, was raised there in my early years, and attended many Red Sox games. Dad was a rocket scientist (for lack of a better term) at Raytheon, a defense contractor based in Boston. We later moved to west Texas so he could help run Raytheon’s missile program at White Sands Missile Range, first working on Hawk, then Patriot.

I learned to love the Yankees because of all the stories my dad, who was a big fan, would tell me about such Yankees as Whitey Ford, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Billy Martin, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra, Allie Reynolds, Elston Howard, Gil McDougald, Mel Stottlemyre, Bobby Richardson, Vic Raschi, Tony Kubek, Ryne Duren, Phil Rizzuto, and many more.

Did he actually work at White Sands/Holloman AFB or just test there? If so, why didn't you live in NM? El Paso is like 100 miles outside of White Sands. Just curious, as a New Mexican that wonders why people don't like living here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

I'm thinking there should be a sitcom of your life. The fight with the mattress salesman is Larry David worthy.

No one ever like Zion in hoops -- very heavily muscled; jump-out-of-the-gym athletic; big*; and highly skilled.** I am certainly not saying he's the best player ever, but he IS unique.

This is just my opinion.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Zion is someone to celebrate, not to argue about.'

* 6-6 and 280, as opposed to six footers with the other attributes.
    ** He shows his upbringing as a point guard. Again, not the best at basketball skills, but clearly a very positive aspect of his NBA game.
    He's a bit like Charles Barkley on steroids, a 6-5 guy (not 6-6 as was once claimed) who combined incredible strength and agility...only a bit bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He's a bit like Charles Barkley on steroids, a 6-5 guy (not 6-6 as was once claimed) who combined incredible strength and agility...only a bit bigger.
    I'm always impressed with how wide Zion is and plays. Wide in his shoulders and wide in how he plays with his strength and his layup technique. What % of his buckets are lefty layups??

Zion’s ceiling is Shaq with a jump shot. That would make him one of the 2-3 best players in the NBA in literally any era.

He’s going to have to get very close to that ceiling to match where Tatum is right now, though, and Tatum gets better every year except that one year he had Kobe-brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Zion’s ceiling is Shaq with a jump shot. That would make him one of the 2-3 best players in the NBA in literally any era.

He’s going to have to get very close to that ceiling to match where Tatum is right now, though, and Tatum gets better every year except that one year he had Kobe-brain.
    I love Zion, but no way he can be Shaq at his height.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Agree. Shaq was just plain enormous. And played almost purely with power and size. Zion is much quicker, has a decent handle, and plays both inside and out. Zion is also nowhere near the force that Shaq was on D or rebounding. Just totally different games.

The Barkley comparison is closer, though I remember Charles to be more a straight line power driver who also had a pretty good shot. Under height, but not undersized, similar to Zion.

I'm most interested to see is Zion is consistently engaged interest in defense this year. I'm sure he will be an incredible offensive force.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Did he actually work at White Sands/Holloman AFB or just test there? If so, why didn't you live in NM? El Paso is like 100 miles outside of White Sands. Just curious, as a New Mexican that wonders why people don't like living here.
    Yes, my dad did work at White Sands daily. I would go to work with him several times a year. There were lots of areas and buildings I was not allowed to enter because you had to have high-level clearance to get in. He could enter almost all of these areas, though not every single one. But I could not, of course.

I would hang out at his main office and play ping-pong and basketball with some of the other engineers and scientists in a big aircraft hangar. I would also go outside and explore the desert and catch tarantulas, lizards, and scorpions and other cool stuff. I would always release them — except for that one tarantula that I decided to take home one day and have as a pet. And of course he somehow managed to escape his terrarium……..inside our home. But that’s a story for another day!

And, yes, we did live for several years in New Mexico — Alamogordo, to be exact. One of my sisters was born there. I have fond memories of New Mexico.and it’s beautiful and eerie desert landscape. ❤️ And then we moved to West Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    No, but he also does things Shaq could never dream of doing. I have never seen anyone so bulky look so like on his feet when he is playing. He is just an amazing combination of width, power, and grace. Truly a unicorn of a player. I only hope his body can withstand the strain, because he is utterly incredible to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I'm thinking there should be a sitcom of your life. The fight with the mattress salesman is Larry David worthy.
    My wife has mentioned that I’m sort of a combination of George and Jerry. I don’t think she necessarily intended it as a compliment. 😉

Great show, that Seinfeld. Curb Your Enthusiasm is not on Seinfeld’s level, but it’s still darn funny. Larry David is a comedy icon.

I didn't realize that Keels is with the Knicks and not in the G League. He got in for the last minute of garbage time vs. the Pistons tonight - badly missed a three and got a rebound. They said that he is the youngest player in the history of the Knicks. RJ played much better than in the opener.

Paolo Banchero communicating on the court in his very first game on Wednesday. Must have learned that from somewhere.

I was hoping he would sneak in a "Cole Anthony can't read!" comment. Just for fun.

Mason Plumlee

Yesterday saw Mason swish a LEFT-HANDED jump shot and lost my mind.
    Apparently this has been going on since the Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by powellhill1981 View Post
    Yesterday saw Mason swish a LEFT-HANDED jump shot and lost my mind.
    Apparently this has been going on since the Spring.
    Mason must be channeling Larry Bird!