Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Wow Bolden looked so confident shooting and so smooth- hope someone gives him a chance
    For sure. If not the Bucks, this game surely gets him to pop up on some team's radar. At the least I'd hope someone gives him a call.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I remember a shooting video of him at Duke making something like 10 3s in a row at the top of the key. The potential has always been there…
    Heading into the 2018-2019 season ESPN did a mini documentary series called "Earn Everything" where they followed the team over the summer and including the international exhibition trip to Canada. I remember a clip from the very first practice where K was outlining his game plan to the team. He said they would play a five out offense and that every person on the team needed to be ready to shoot the three. While he said this he specifically looked right at Bolden. I don't know why that moment has stood out in my memory after all these years, perhaps it's the trauma from knowing in hindsight that a five out offense would never work for that team because they were terrible at shooting. But for what it's worth, K must have felt at the time that Marques had the potential to at least knock down an occasional open three.

I'd love for him to land on a roster somewhere. Having him and Okafor wind up as such busts as pros has been a real downer.

Woj reporting that Bagley's injury is not all that serious. He will miss some time but not a significant amount.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1580220271650574336
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    5 preseason games Tuesday, all of interest. I'm going to break this up into two posts because there's some surprising news, both bad and good, and we can't wait for the West Coast games to finish. Let's start with the bad news.

THUNDER over PISTONS 115-99

Marvin Bagley III (DET) slipped on the floor a minute into the game (or stepped on an opponent's foot?) and hurt his right knee. He'll have an MRI tomorrow. Here's the video:
    Woj just posted this on Twitter

MRI on the right knee of Detroit Pistons F Marvin Bagley III reveals that he will miss time to start the season, but there's relief that he's avoided a serious injury, sources tell ESPN.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Woj just posted this on Twitter

MRI on the right knee of Detroit Pistons F Marvin Bagley III reveals that he will miss time to start the season, but there's relief that he's avoided a serious injury, sources tell ESPN.
    Yup, he followed that up saying he's expected out around a month with a bone bruise and MCL sprain.

This creates an interesting situation for the Pistons, as Bagley being out frees up some playing time downlow for rookie Jalen Duren. The expectation was that, given his youth, the Pistons would bring him along slowly, perhaps with some time in the G-League. Now, it's feasible the Pistons could give him 10-15 mpg while Bagley is out to see what he's got, and if he earns consistent playing time look to trade veteran Nerlens Noel (who's on an expiring contract) sooner rather than later. Hopefully a Duren explosion won't impact MB3's playing time when he's healthy, but there is that risk now.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Heading into the 2018-2019 season ESPN did a mini documentary series called "Earn Everything" where they followed the team over the summer and including the international exhibition trip to Canada. I remember a clip from the very first practice where K was outlining his game plan to the team. He said they would play a five out offense and that every person on the team needed to be ready to shoot the three. While he said this he specifically looked right at Bolden. I don't know why that moment has stood out in my memory after all these years, perhaps it's the trauma from knowing in hindsight that a five out offense would never work for that team because they were terrible at shooting. But for what it's worth, K must have felt at the time that Marques had the potential to at least knock down an occasional open three.

I'd love for him to land on a roster somewhere. Having him and Okafor wind up as such busts as pros has been a real downer.
    Jah was great for 1 year, pretty good for a 2nd year, and then just kinda faded for a few years. I don't understand why he's persona non grata in the NBA now, since there are definitely guys in the NBA who are worse. He's terrible at defense, and doesn't shoot 3s, but he's got enough offensive game that it seems like he could make a valuable contribution, at least as a change of pace, for a few minutes per game.
    Also, is Jahlil playing in an overseas pro league?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Woj reporting that Bagley's injury is not all that serious. He will miss some time but not a significant amount.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1580220271650574336
    well that's good news, at least as good as could be hoped for. I'm hoping that Marvin builds on his uptick in performance from last year upon arriving in DET.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Jah was great for 1 year, pretty good for a 2nd year, and then just kinda faded for a few years. I don't understand why he's persona non grata in the NBA now, since there are definitely guys in the NBA who are worse. He's terrible at defense, and doesn't shoot 3s, but he's got enough offensive game that it seems like he could make a valuable contribution, at least as a change of pace, for a few minutes per game.
    Also, is Jahlil playing in an overseas pro league?

well that's good news, at least as good as could be hoped for. I'm hoping that Marvin builds on his uptick in performance from last year upon arriving in DET.
    Not overseas… Mexico City!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Yup, he followed that up saying he's expected out around a month with a bone bruise and MCL sprain.

This creates an interesting situation for the Pistons, as Bagley being out frees up some playing time downlow for rookie Jalen Duren. The expectation was that, given his youth, the Pistons would bring him along slowly, perhaps with some time in the G-League. Now, it's feasible the Pistons could give him 10-15 mpg while Bagley is out to see what he's got, and if he earns consistent playing time look to trade veteran Nerlens Noel (who's on an expiring contract) sooner rather than later. Hopefully a Duren explosion won't impact MB3's playing time when he's healthy, but there is that risk now.
    Don’t know much about Duren’s game. Could he and Marvin play together on a consistent basis, or do they not complement each other?

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Don’t know much about Duren’s game. Could he and Marvin play together on a consistent basis, or do they not complement each other?
    I feel like playing those guys together would give you real spacing issues. Bagley ahs not shown himself to have a legit NBA 3-pointer thus far (hit less than 25% last season and is less than 30% from 3 on his career). Duren attempted exactly 1 3-pointer last year in college. Both of these are guys who want to operate in the post and it is really tough to have 2 guys doing that at the same time in the modern NBA.

Detroit is a team that struggles from 3 -- Cade is not a great shooter yet (31% as a rookie) and Jaden Ivey was good but not great at the college 3 last season. I suspect the Pistons will try to play Bojan Bogdonavic at the 4 at least some of the time to get an extra strong shooter out there. You cannot do that if Duren and Bagley are in the game.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I feel like playing those guys together would give you real spacing issues. Bagley ahs not shown himself to have a legit NBA 3-pointer thus far (hit less than 25% last season and is less than 30% from 3 on his career). Duren attempted exactly 1 3-pointer last year in college. Both of these are guys who want to operate in the post and it is really tough to have 2 guys doing that at the same time in the modern NBA.

Detroit is a team that struggles from 3 -- Cade is not a great shooter yet (31% as a rookie) and Jaden Ivey was good but not great at the college 3 last season. I suspect the Pistons will try to play Bojan Bogdonavic at the 4 at least some of the time to get an extra strong shooter out there. You cannot do that if Duren and Bagley are in the game.
    Yeah they wouldn't fit together despite their being such different players. Bagley gives you low post scoring and is a decent rebounder. Duren won't be much more than a rim runner and dunker at this point in his development, but he will be able to protect the rim at the other end. Just depends what the Pistons need at any particular time. They also have Isaiah Stewart in the mix down low, and he's shown promise.

But yes 3 point shooting is an issue. Sadiq Bey can shoot some, but with Cade not shooting it well, at least not yet, and Killian Hayes not shooting a lick so far in his young career, there is room for someone like Isaiah Livers or Buddy Boeheim to earn some PT if they can knock down shots.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Wow Bolden looked so confident shooting and so smooth- hope someone gives him a chance
    I remember him shooting a handful of jumpers in his junior year and they looked pretty good. Even the ones he missed gave me the impression he had a good shooting touch.

Oh boy: Zion leaves game tonight after only 10 minutes of play due to left ankle soreness.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...urn-wednesday/

Let's start with some roster news. The Phoenix Suns waived Frank Jackson today. Silver lining: no reason to root for Phoenix anymore.

8 preseason games Wednesday, all of interest here.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Oh boy: Zion leaves game tonight after only 10 minutes of play due to left ankle soreness.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...urn-wednesday/
    HEAT over PELICANS 120-103

Zion Williamson started and had 11 points in 11 minutes, adding 2 rebounds and 4 assists. The official highlights leave out that part of the game, so all I have for now is this poor quality video shared below. He continued to play for a few more minutes but then left the game and did not return. It was later reported that he's doing fine. He rolled his ankle and is day-to-day.
    Brandon Ingram is still out/questionable with the left toe thing and did not play. He might play the final preseason game Friday.

CAVALIERS over HAWKS 105-99

AJ Griffin (ATL) played 24 bench minutes and had 11 points, 6 rebounds, and an assist. He hit 3 of 5 outside shots.
    Jalen Johnson (ATL) had 8 points, 11 rebounds, an assist and a block in 22 minutes.

PACERS over KNICKS 109-100

RJ Barrett (NY) started and scored 21 in 27 minutes. He added 4 rebounds and 3 assists.
    Cam Reddish (NY) had 10 points, 3 rebounds, an assist, a steal, and a block in 21 minutes off the bench.
    Trevor Keels (NY) did not play.

76ERS over HORNETS 99-94

Mason Plumlee (CHA) was the starter, played 16 minutes, and produced a triple single: 6 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, plus a block.
    Mark Williams (CHA) was the closer, played 12 minutes (the whole 4th quarter), and had 9 points and 3 rebounds.

Not that it matters, but the Hornets finished the preseason 0-5. This was their closest loss.

NETS over BUCKS 107-97

Kyrie Irving (BKN) started and went 23-7-4-1 in 33 minutes.
    Seth Curry (BKN) did not play. He's recovering from offseason ankle surgery and may return for the regular season opener.

Grayson Allen (MIL) is still ill and did not play.
    Marques Bolden (MIL) was rewarded and rested for 39 game minutes. He played the last minute of the game and produced 1 block, just to show he means business.

The Bucks also finished their preseason 0-5.

Three games still in the first half: Timberwolves-Lakers, Kings-Suns, and Nuggets-Clippers. I'll recap those later.

Let's start with some roster news. The Phoenix Suns waived Frank Jackson today. Silver lining: no reason to root for Phoenix anymore.

8 preseason games Wednesday, all of interest here.

HEAT over PELICANS 120-103

Zion Williamson started and had 11 points in 11 minutes, adding 2 rebounds and 4 assists. The official highlights leave out that part of the game, so all I have for now is this poor quality video shared below. He continued to play for a few more minutes but then left the game and did not return. It was later reported that he's doing fine. He rolled his ankle and is day-to-day.
    Brandon Ingram is still out/questionable with the left toe thing and did not play. He might play the final preseason game Friday.

CAVALIERS over HAWKS 105-99

AJ Griffin (ATL) played 24 bench minutes and had 11 points, 6 rebounds, and an assist. He hit 3 of 5 outside shots.
    Jalen Johnson (ATL) had 8 points, 11 rebounds, an assist and a block in 22 minutes.

PACERS over KNICKS 109-100

RJ Barrett (NY) started and scored 21 in 27 minutes. He added 4 rebounds and 3 assists.
    Cam Reddish (NY) had 10 points, 3 rebounds, an assist, a steal, and a block in 21 minutes off the bench.
    Trevor Keels (NY) did not play.

76ERS over HORNETS 99-94

Mason Plumlee (CHA) was the starter, played 16 minutes, and produced a triple single: 6 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, plus a block.
    Mark Williams (CHA) was the closer, played 12 minutes (the whole 4th quarter), and had 9 points and 3 rebounds.

Not that it matters, but the Hornets finished the preseason 0-5. This was their closest loss.

NETS over BUCKS 107-97

Kyrie Irving (BKN) started and went 23-7-4-1 in 33 minutes.
    Seth Curry (BKN) did not play. He's recovering from offseason ankle surgery and may return for the regular season opener.

Marques Bolden (MIL) was rewarded and rested for 39 game minutes. He played the last minute of the game and produced 1 block, just to show he means business.

Three games still in the first half: Timberwolves-Lakers, Kings-Suns, and Nuggets-Clippers. I'll recap those later.
    Comment on Mason's stat line made me chuckle... good one

The Pelicans posted videos of Zion Williamson and head coach Willie Green each speaking to the media after tonight's game.

Excerpts:

"In the moment, it didn't feel too good, but it was one of those things that happened. And I popped back up, and like, yeah I'm straight. Played a few minutes after that, felt fine. Then they sent me to the back just to double check, they want to look at it. Had a doc look at it, and he just said, day to day. Soreness. But outside of that, I personally feel fine."

"He's doing fine. It looks like he might have rolled his ankle a little bit. The doctor looked at him, I think, the third quarter. So he'll be day to day."

Wrapping up Thursday night with the 3 West Coast games.

TIMBERWOLVES over LAKERS 118-113

Austin Rivers (MIN) scored 2 in 18 minutes off the bench, adding 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and a block. I wondered about the block, so I looked up the play-by-play. Late in the 3rd quarter he blocked a 15-foot jump shot from Kendrick Nunn, who is listed as 2 inches shorter.
    Wendell Moore Jr (MIN) played 12 minutes and also had 2 points, along with a rebound, 2 assists, and a steal.

KINGS over SUNS 105-104

Quinn Cook (SAC) scored 10 points in 10 minutes, plus a rebound and an assist. At that rate he could have scored 48 points today. Something to ponder, Sacramento.

In case you missed it from my previous post, Frank Jackson was waived by the Suns earlier today.

NUGGETS over CLIPPERS 126-115

Jack White (DEN) came off the bench for 16 minutes and hit all three of his shots, including a 3-pointer. He had 7 points, 2 rebounds, an assist, and a steal.

Luke Kennard (LAC) missed one of his two 3-point attempts but hit all 4 of his 2-pointers. He had 11 points in 17 minutes, along with a rebound and an assist.

But for what it's worth, K must have felt at the time that Marques had the potential to at least knock down an occasional open three.

Hmm, my memory may be betraying me a bit, but from what I recall Bolden was not much of a factor at Duke in any of his three seasons nor did he show much NBA potential. And after deciding to leave college at the conclusion of his junior year he wasn’t even drafted.

So to have expectations of him being on an NBA roster for an entire season(s) seems perhaps a tad optimistic, maybe? And based on him going undrafted I don’t see how he could be considered a bust.

I guess everybody has their minds made up about Marques, but the performance he put on the other day seems to call for another look to see if he can repeat that kind of performance. Most teams would love to have a long, shot-blocking 3-pt shooting Oboard dunker. Big 'Ques hasn't shown that complete skill set before (in games) so it seems odd that MIL wouldn't want to see that again.

Quinn Cook (SAC) scored 10 points in 10 minutes, plus a rebound and an assist. At that rate he could have scored 48 points today. Something to ponder, Sacramento.

Jack White (DEN) came off the bench for 16 minutes and hit all three of his shots, including a 3-pointer. He had 7 points, 2 rebounds, an assist, and a steal.
    I would never have bet that Jack White would seriously contend for a spot in the NBA, but here he is! Duke fans know that he can be a bulldog and glue-guy player, but once he got that 3pt shot fixed, or at least improved, then he became eligible for the coveted 3-n-D role.
    Also, would love to see Quinn have a productive season, even if it is for the dysfunctional SAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Hmm, my memory may be betraying me a bit, but from what I recall Bolden was not much of a factor at Duke in any of his three seasons nor did he show much NBA potential. And after deciding to leave college at the conclusion of his junior year he wasn’t even drafted.
    So to have expectations of him being on an NBA roster for an entire season(s) seems perhaps a tad optimistic, maybe? And based on him going undrafted I don’t see how he could be considered a bust.
    I don't want to put words in the other poster's mouth, but perhaps the "bust" concept stems more from Bolden's HS recruiting reputation. He was generally seen as one of the most promising bigs coming out of HS. But you're right about him not being a bust if one references his time at Duke.

Matthew Hurt picked up a deal from the Grizzlies, where he’ll join Tyus Jones. Terms were not disclosed. I hope he catches on somewhere, his sophomore year gets lost in Duke history as it was the forgettable Covid season, but he completely carried us and if you were to put him on literally any other Duke team in the K era I think he would have had a huge impact.

https://twitter.com/grizzliespr/stat...HE5VFMmqhGXJcA
    This is almost certainly an Exhibit 10 deal that will allow Hurt to get a bonus (likely in the $25-50k range) for reporting to the team's G-League affiliate.
    This looks right. The Grizzlies PR tweet says that contract terms are not disclosed, but Spotrac calls it an Exhibit 10 deal for 1 year, $1,017,781. This is the same deal that DJ Steward initially had with Sacramento. Steward was waived but still pocketed $50,000 for that.
    It was fun while it lasted, I guess. Matthew Hurt was waived by the Memphis Grizzlies today, never having played a minute of the preseason. They also waived Sean McDermott, another player on an Exhibit 10 contract, but then signed two new players (EJ Onu and Romeo Weems) to Exhibit 10 contracts. If you look at a list of recent team transactions, Hurt and McDermott were signed 3 days ago while two other players (Justin Bean and Jacob Gilyard) were waived. So the cycle continues. I guess Memphis is trying to develop their G League affiliate by briefly holding on to all 6 players? I don't really understand this business.

In more bad news, Quinn Cook was also waived today, by the Sacramento Kings. The press release is here, and the head coach briefly discusses the decision in a tweeted video here. Cook had signed an Exhibit 9 contract on September 20: 1 year, $2,133,278. At least Cook got to play in 2 preseason games.

For both Hurt and Cook, I have no idea how much of that money -- if any -- was guaranteed.

It was fun while it lasted, I guess. Matthew Hurt was waived by the Memphis Grizzlies today, never having played a minute of the preseason. They also waived Sean McDermott, another player on an Exhibit 10 contract, but then signed two new players (EJ Onu and Romeo Weems) to Exhibit 10 contracts. If you look at a list of recent team transactions, Hurt and McDermott were signed 3 days ago while two other players (Justin Bean and Jacob Gilyard) were waived. So the cycle continues. I guess Memphis is trying to develop their G League affiliate by briefly holding on to all 6 players? I don't really understand this business.

In more bad news, Quinn Cook was also waived today, by the Sacramento Kings. The press release is here, and the head coach briefly discusses the decision in a tweeted video here. Cook had signed an Exhibit 9 contract on September 20: 1 year, $2,133,278. At least Cook got to play in 2 preseason games.

For both Hurt and Cook, I have no idea how much of that money -- if any -- was guaranteed.
    Bummer on both Hurt and Cook. I thought Exhibit 9 contracts were basically summer contracts, so I'm guessing no money is guaranteed unless they got injured. Hurt is young enough to go the G-League route still. Time's running out on Cook. Either of these guys should be able to make money overseas, should they want to give up on the NBA.

Also saw this on Vernon Carey, hope he's OK: Carey in concussion protocol after traffic accident

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Bummer on both Hurt and Cook. I thought Exhibit 9 contracts were basically summer contracts, so I'm guessing no money is guaranteed unless they got injured. Hurt is young enough to go the G-League route still. Time's running out on Cook. Either of these guys should be able to make money overseas, should they want to give up on the NBA.

Also saw this on Vernon Carey, hope he's OK: Carey in concussion protocol after traffic accident

9F
    Hurt's NBA stock was never gonna be higher than when he left, but he just doesn't fit the modern game, at least in the NBA. He can still carve out a nice, lucrative career for himself overseas, but i don't think he'll ever see the court in an NBA game.
    Quinn, otoh, might still have something to offer an NBA team. I'm not sure if he's a good enough 3pt shooter to overcome his physical limitations, but he's a smart, bulldog of a player.