Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Cam Reddish

"Cam Reddish’s emerging defense makes him key piece to Knicks’ lineup," New York Post, Nov. 17:

"He has the best net rating of any of the Knicks’ starters, at plus-2.8 per 100 possessions, and his fourth-quarter defense was instrumental in the two road wins. His 7-foot-1 wingspan makes it difficult to pass around or over him, and the 6-7 Reddish can defend multiple positions, offering needed versatility."

https://nypost.com/2022/11/17/cam-re...knicks-lineup/

What is up with RJ Barrett? in the last 3 games he's 0-16 3FGs, and not surprisingly is shooting horribly from the floor overall. OTOH, Cam Reddish seems to be putting together a string of consistently good games, or at least, his FG% has been 50% or better in several games in a row.
    Overall, the last couple of days have been chock full of poor shooting nights in the NBA for Duke alums. Seth Curry put up an 0fer, last night RJ Barrett, Brandon Ingram and Jayson Tatum all put up poor shooting nights the day before. Marvin Bagley shot 1-5 in his 3rd game back from injury, so he's still finding his footing, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    What is up with RJ Barrett? in the last 3 games he's 0-16 3FGs, and not surprisingly is shooting horribly from the floor overall. OTOH, Cam Reddish seems to be putting together a string of consistently good games, or at least, his FG% has been 50% or better in several games in a row.
    Overall, the last couple of days have been chock full of poor shooting nights in the NBA for Duke alums. Seth Curry put up an 0fer, last night RJ Barrett, Brandon Ingram and Jayson Tatum all put up poor shooting nights the day before. Marvin Bagley shot 1-5 in his 3rd game back from injury, so he's still finding his footing, so to speak.

RJ has been sick. He didn’t play in crunch time against Denver

it didn’t help that the Last two games including Denver were back to backs on the road

Nothing to see here but a game-winning buzzer beater by AJ Griffin in OT for the Hawks

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35062856
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Nothing to see here but a game-winning buzzer beater by AJ Griffin in OT for the Hawks

Sweet! A.J.'s been getting more minutes as the season progresses... has his 'D' been improving?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Wow unbelievable lackadaisical defense by Toronto. Give Trae and AJ credit, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Wow unbelievable lackadaisical defense by Toronto. Give Trae and AJ credit, but . . .
    That was a great, apparently designed, play by the Hawks, too, though. At least it looked to me like a pre-planned play.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That was a great, apparently designed, play by the Hawks, too, though. At least it looked to me like a pre-planned play.
    although the camera kept focusing on the ball, it looked to me like ATL set a pick in their own backcourt that ended up letting AJ run up the court un-guarded. There was a lone defender his own defensive side who then came forward as Trae got loose past his defender, and there was no one left to pick up AJ. So, i agree, it looked like a designed play.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    although the camera kept focusing on the ball, it looked to me like ATL set a pick in their own backcourt that ended up letting AJ run up the court un-guarded. There was a lone defender his own defensive side who then came forward as Trae got loose past his defender, and there was no one left to pick up AJ. So, i agree, it looked like a designed play.
    I think the pick was the one that set Trae free. That left the defender guarding AJ with the choice of stepping up to meet the Hawks All-Star, sweet shooting, PG racing up the floor or staying with Griffin. He chose to move toward Trae and that left AJ wiiiiide open.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Big night in the NBA for Duke alums last night, tying the previous total high of 217 points (which was blown away by a 240+ (?) night this year)!
    Jayson Tatum with a 37 - 13 - 5 in the win over DAL.
    Zion led NOLA to the win with 32 & 11 in his triumphant return from some sort of minor injury. Kyrie almost got to 30, too, scoring 29 in BKY's win. Nice that the big games from Dukies also netted wins for their teams.
    Brandon Ingram also contributed big time to NOLA's win with his own double-double, scoring 17 with 10 assists.
    MP2 helped CHO to the win with his own double-double as well, scoring 11 with 13 rebounds.
    Also wanted to give a shout to Marvin Bagley, who scored 19 on 9-10 FGs, by far his best game since returning from injury. So far he's shooting 60% FGs (career high), and also 92% on FTs, by far a career high for a career 67% FT shooter.
    14 Dukies got on the court last night, including Jack White for DEN, who grabbed a board and blocked a pair of shots! Jack has yet to score, but he has played in 4 games and keeps doing the gritty stuff, which will hopefully lead to more time on the court!
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 11-24-2022 at 10:23 AM. Reason: MB3

Bagley - I don't think I've seen anyone note this, but Bagley has been playing quite well - at least offensively - of late. He's only back 6 games from his injury but in the last 3 games as a starter - against the Kings 5-9, 6 boards, 15 pts in 21 minutes; vs the Nuggets 7-8, 3 boards, 14 pts in 22 min in a W; and last night, against the Jazz 9-10, 6 boards, 19 pts in 21 minutes in a W. Just checking the play by play a good number of those shots he's making are for 10, 12, and 14 feet. Have no idea about his D. Is he under a minutes restriction because of his injury, because despite his strong offensive play of late, he doesn't seem to sniff the 4th quarter?

Grayson is absolutely unconscious right now, 22 pts on 7-7 from 3. Second quarter.

Grayson is 7-7 from 3 with 6 minutes left in 1st half on NBA TV.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    Grayson is 7-7 from 3 with 6 minutes left in 1st half on NBA TV.
    Finished the game 7-8 from 3 and 2-4 from the free throw line. Should have backed up a bit.

Seth Curry had a pedestrian night by comparison, shooting 7-10 from 3.

Wendell Moore Jr scored his first NBA points tonight! 2-2 FTs and 2 rebounds. He's officially in the books!
    (...on a side note, Jack White has played in several games as well but has yet to score...)

Check out how Big Z did tonight!

Zion Williamson scored 23 points, matched his career high with eight assists and converted a go-ahead three-point play with 44 seconds left to lift the short-handed New Orleans Pelicans to a 105-101 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder on Monday night.

With the Pelicans playing without Brandon Ingram and C.J. McCollum, Williamson also had eight rebounds and three blocked shots against a collapsing defense aimed at turning him into a passer. He either scored or assisted on every point in an 11-4 New Orleans run in the third quarter that stretched the Pelicans’ lead to 75-62.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Check out how Big Z did tonight!

Zion Williamson scored 23 points, matched his career high with eight assists and converted a go-ahead three-point play with 44 seconds left to lift the short-handed New Orleans Pelicans to a 105-101 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder on Monday night.

With the Pelicans playing without Brandon Ingram and C.J. McCollum, Williamson also had eight rebounds and three blocked shots against a collapsing defense aimed at turning him into a passer. He either scored or assisted on every point in an 11-4 New Orleans run in the third quarter that stretched the Pelicans’ lead to 75-62.
    Saw that Z is behind only MJ in # of points scored in his first 100 games played. Not bad.

Also saw that Tre Jones is the #17 player in the league ranked by Nate Silver's RAPTOR analytic. His PER doesn't agree, as by PER he's the #32 PG... (I know Tre is not #17, but he's doing something right to get that score. Nate has him as the only + wins against replacement players on the Spurs)

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Bagley - I don't think I've seen anyone note this, but Bagley has been playing quite well - at least offensively - of late. He's only back 6 games from his injury but in the last 3 games as a starter - against the Kings 5-9, 6 boards, 15 pts in 21 minutes; vs the Nuggets 7-8, 3 boards, 14 pts in 22 min in a W; and last night, against the Jazz 9-10, 6 boards, 19 pts in 21 minutes in a W. Just checking the play by play a good number of those shots he's making are for 10, 12, and 14 feet. Have no idea about his D. Is he under a minutes restriction because of his injury, because despite his strong offensive play of late, he doesn't seem to sniff the 4th quarter?
    I watched Marvin against the Knicks last night. First off, Detroit is bad. Last night, both Cade Cunnigham and Jaden Ivey were out so they lacked a bunch of their youthful dynamism. The Knicks started hot and never looked back and it was never a game.

Marvin started and jumped center. As you say, he's missed half the games this year due to injury. I would say he's continued to enhance his offensive game and his defensive game is as suspect as it has ever been. The label "good stats bad teams" player probably applies to him. I imagine that as an NBA player, his current ceiling is scoring punch off the bench. Sadly, he'll likely always be tagged as the kid taken ahead of Luka and Tre Young, and currently profiles as the worst Duke player taken in that incredibly deep 2018 draft behind Wendell, Grayson and Gary Trent.

I know, I know... it is just the G-League, but Mark Williams put up quite the line last night: 37 points, 11 rebounds, on 16-23 shooting. He is currently averaging 23.1ppg, 12.6rpg, and 2.1bpg in 8 games for the Greensboro Swarm.

At some point I have to think that the Hornets will decide it is better to get Mark some minutes against NBA competition and give him time ahead of Nick Richards, Mason Plumlee, and Kai Jones.

PSA: Jayson Tatum is the man!!!