Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    F

What a game.

Yes. I am hammered beyond belief.

Yes. I am sad

Yes. This was a great game

Yes. Penalties are the worst if your team is involved

Later. Talk to you on monday.
    Condolences, I was pulling hard for y’all.

F

What a game.

Yes. I am sad

Sorry. That stunk. Tough way to go out. Valiant effort in the comeback - they got your hopes back then brought you back down.

I picture you having a night like Beard After Hours from Ted Lasso - be safe out there.

F

What a game.

Yes. I am sad

Sorry man. Always tough to see one's team lose, and especially so in PKs. Hope you recover from your eventual hangover and don't go too deep into the alcohol this weekend.

F

What a game.

Yes. I am sad

Add my voice to those who’ve already expressed disappointment for you. I really wanted to see the Dutch move on. Condolences.

Oh man, Grant Wahl died at the World Cup. Crazy and sad.

Wahl was a bit of a pioneer is US soccer journalism. Died way too young.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Oh that's terrible.

Just read the same news. Awful.

What a game! Nail biter until the very end.

Sorry for you though FDD.

What??? Wow. Sad.

Wow. Just saw that. In addition to being arguably the top soccer writer in America, earlier in his career he covered a lot of college basketball and was an excellent writer - he did a great mailbag column and showed a blend of knowledge and a good sense of humor.

He was roughly my age and while I always dreamed of being a professional sportswriter but ended my career at Duke, he lived the dream and was brilliant at it. Never met him but he was a friend of friends who went to Princeton with him and his wife. So sad.

This is just terrible. He was the top US reporter for soccer. I was just listening to his podcast this morning about the quarter finals. He mentioned that he was feeling ill (bronchitis). It's so sad.

Devastating...his brother, Eric Wahl, posted a video saying he believes he was murdered because of his rainbow shirt and that he wore it because of him (Eric is gay). Don't watch the video, it's heartbreaking. He says Grant was receiving death threats. Of course, we shouldn't jump to any conclusions until more information comes out, but it's pretty shocking for a family member to post something like that. Chilling really.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 12-09-2022 at 11:47 PM.

I've just sat here stunned for the past few hours at the news. Grant and I considered each other friends, and we had hung out on many occasions on our soccer travels. When I started a soccer podcast last year, he was one of our first guests and continued to elevate our voices. He was just always warm and genuine to everyone he met, myself included. I can't believe he's gone, and this is a major gut punch to the American soccer family.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Devastating...his brother, Eric Wahl, posted a video saying he believes he was murdered because of his rainbow shirt and that he wore it because of him (Eric is gay). Don't watch the video, it's heartbreaking. He says Grant was receiving death threats. Of course, we shouldn't jump to any conclusions until more information comes out, but it's pretty shocking for a family member to post something like that. Chilling really.
    Why would Grant have been receiving death threats? What was the issue, according to his brother?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Why would Grant have been receiving death threats? What was the issue, according to his brother?
    My understanding is GW's brother is openly gay. Grant was wearing pride flag shirts and openly criticizing human rights issues in Qatar.

Now, it sounds like he was sick for the week since the US/Netherlands game. But, it definitely makes one wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My understanding is GW's brother is openly gay. Grant was wearing pride flag shirts and openly criticizing human rights issues in Qatar.

Now, it sounds like he was sick for the week since the US/Netherlands game. But, it definitely makes one wonder.
    This is very sad news.
    The CNN article used some seemingly unnecessary quotation marks around phrases referring to what happened and how Grant had been feeling during the prior week. It makes me wonder if they think his illness was suspicious.
    Last edited by Tooold; 12-10-2022 at 04:59 AM.

Wanted to clarify - I personally don't see a conspiracy here. 48 is young, but certainly the stress of travel, international living for weeks, and intense stress day after day would be reason for a cardiac episode.

Just explaining why some folks are feeling suspicious.

Wanted to clarify - I personally don't see a conspiracy here. 48 is young, but certainly the stress of travel, international living for weeks, and intense stress day after day would be reason for a cardiac episode.

Just explaining why some folks are feeling suspicious.
    Agreed… the intent in my post above was similar. The phrasing and quotation marks in the CNN article might lead some to ask questions.

Pulling for Portugal and England. I know people are kinda hating Portugal, but as someone with no rooting interest, I want to see the most entertaining semi possible. Pulling for an Argentina/England finals. Falkland Islands campaign revisited!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Pulling for Portugal and England. I know people are kinda hating Portugal, but as someone with no rooting interest, I want to see the most entertaining semi possible. Pulling for an Argentina/England finals. Falkland Islands campaign revisited!!!!!!
    Me too. Plus it's nice that Ronaldo may come off the bench, this gives him more time to work on his personal museum back in Portugal.