Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Maybe to start, but don’t you think it becomes a bigger possibility if they are tied at the 70’ or so? Or 80’?

Genuinely asking, you’re level of experience/expertise is far above mine.
    Not really. I think it's about motivation - and lack thereof - rather than conspiracy theories.

What I think will happen is as follows (and sorry for the USMNT pessimistic predictions):

-England beats the US 2-0
    -Wales beats Iran 1-0 or 2-1

At the end of the second set of games, it's England 6, Wales 4, US 1.

England will rest their yellow card players, older players, and players where there isn't a significant drop-off. Players like Kane, Sterling, Maguire, Kyle Walker, etc will rest. But that means Trent Alexander Arnold, Grealish, Foden, Henderson, Ben White, Ramsdale, Callum Wilson, etc will play. And they will come out motivated and score a goal quickly because they have overwhelming talent.

Now this is where I'm not too sure what will happen. Will England say, 'Wales needs to score 2 goals to win this group so I'll cruise for the remaining ~75 minutes', or will they keep their foot on the pedal. I don't know. I am not sure about the psychy and ruthlessness of this English team.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

One last thing

What I learned today is England is very good. Their recent performances against Hungary were more of an anomaly rather than England being, well, England.

And I do think the US/Wales are much closer to Iran in terms of performance than they are to England. So I think the England win over the US is much more likely than the Wales win over Iran.

And that makes scenario planning with one set of games (out of three) very challenging. Cus if Wales ties Iran (or loses, which is definitely a possibility), it really opens things up for the US.

Bottonline - outside of England winning the group (at the very least advancing), there are soooooo many unknowns in this group.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

This is my concern. I guess we need to pull for Iran v. Wales, then for us to beat Iran and have a good goal differential?

Assuming we don’t get three points agains England, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    We will see. Or, hopefully the US will shock the world and earn a point vs England, and force the issue altogether.
    Okay. I’m progressing nicely through all the stages of being a USMNT fan. Before the game, I was cautiously hopeful/dreading a loss. Now I’m caught between cold-eyed-realism and believing that these kids could somehow beat England. Three points in our next game makes everyone else have to game plan.

WWOD?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Quick question... why is this ok but LIV golf is not?
    For one, Australia, England, Italy, and Spain didn’t leave to start their own league playing 7 on 7 for 60 minutes, then scream that their product was better than the World Cup and their champion should automatically play in the World Cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    For one, Australia, England, Italy, and Spain didn’t leave to start their own league playing 7 on 7 for 60 minutes, then scream that their product was better than the World Cup and their champion should automatically play in the World Cup final.
    I don't understand... Why is what okay? World Cup thread?

Great equalizer by Saudi Arabia against Argentina. This game should not be this close.

Edit: Now up a goal! If it holds this would be one of the biggest upsets in WC history.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 11-22-2022 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Great equalizer by Saudi Arabia against Argentina. This game should not be this close.

Edit: Now up a goal! If it holds this would be one of the biggest upsets in WC history.
    Oh

My

God

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Oh

My

God
    I guess the USMNT drawing with the Saudi’s in our last friendly was not a bad result . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by oldphikap View Post
    i guess the usmnt drawing with the saudi’s in our last friendly was not a bad result . . . .
    usa usa usa

I would hate to be Argentinian right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I would hate to be Argentinian right now.
    Will you be sending a nice carton of Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles to the Saudis?

I may have to make this my new avatar...

Yes, I am sure you are heartbroken by that result.

It is the new crying Jordan…

Beautiful sequence by Denmark with an even better save by Tunisia!

Sorry originally had the teams backwards

Since you are the expert at NCAA basketball comparisons which put the World Cup into perspective for those of us who don't follow soccer/football closely, how does Saudi Arabia/Argentina compare to UVA/UMBC?

I guess one big difference is that Argentina still has a fairly good chance of advancing to the knockout stage, don't they? In that sense, is Chaminade vs UVA in 1982 a better comparison? Or is the Saudi/Argentina result more of a run-of-the mill upset like Navy vs UVA last season?
    Last edited by House P; 11-22-2022 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Since you are the expert at NCAA basketball comparisons which put the World Cup into perspective for those of us who don't follow soccer/football closely, how does Saudi Arabia/Argentina compare to UVA/UMBC?

I guess one big difference is that Argentina still has a fairly good chance of advancing to the knockout stage, don't they? In that sense, is Chaminade vs UVA in 1982 a better comparison? Or is the Saudi/Argentina result more of a run-of-the mill upset like Navy vs UVA last season?
    Honestly, it's close. This may be the biggest World Cup upset in my life time (~38 years or so). It's not that Argentina is the overwhelming favorite or that Saudi Arabia is the worst team in the tournament, it's that everyone was caught off guard and the Middle East has had some incredibly poor showings thus far (Qatar, Iran).

A tie would have been a huge upset. This is on another level.

I think UVA/UMBC is a solid analogy, as Argentina is a top 5 team in the tournament (2nd in Vegas odds to win it all) and Saudi Arabia is second to last. However, the difference is Argentina is not out of the tournament. But their path to winning got a lot harder.

The number of goals nullified by offsides/infractions for Argentina was unreal. There were like 3. I watched the highlights and honestly didn't understand one of them, said "VAR overturned" but no explanation. Wasn't an offsides call/didn't see flag from side judge. I clearly don't understand things...One of the offsides was really close, but he was leaning forward -- probably would have been safe if standing upright.

Mexico

Mexico looking pretty solid so far, they have Lewandowski contained at the point in time.