Page 21 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So . . . what’s the breakdown on Iran? Anyone knowledgeable enough to run them down? (I am not)
    I went back and watched Wales v Iran this evening, and Iran was the far better team. It makes the second half of the US game against Wales feel like a horrible missed opportunity.

We definitely cannot afford to underestimate Iran. It will be a must-win game, so one would hope that wouldn’t happen, but then again one would have hoped we’d finish more than one opportunity so far.

Interesting to see if Iran even tries to score, or if they just go into a tight defensive shell...

The Polish goalie is standing on his head yet again today.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Interesting to see if Iran even tries to score, or if they just go into a tight defensive shell...
    Somewhat risky strategy since the Wales v England game is played simultaneously. If England goes up a goal, I suspect you’ll see Iran immediately hunker down. Otherwise, I think they have to take their opportunities as they come. As long as the game between Wales and England stays tied (or Wales with a lead), I think Iran has to look for a goal. You’d hate to play for a tie and then have Wales score a late goal to knock you out. Best case for the US is Wales gets an early goal or keeps the game tied for an extended period.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Somewhat risky strategy since the Wales v England game is played simultaneously. If England goes up a goal, I suspect you’ll see Iran immediately hunker down. Otherwise, I think they have to take their opportunities as they come. As long as the game between Wales and England stays tied (or Wales with a lead), I think Iran has to look for a goal. You’d hate to play for a tie and then have Wales score a late goal to knock you out. Best case for the US is Wales gets an early goal or keeps the game tied for an extended period.
    So you feel it is best for the US if Iran is trying hard to score? I guess I can see both arguments, but I lean toward the US being able to score a goal if it is allowed to play target practice.

We’ve only scored one goal in our last four matches. I’m not confident that we can score under any circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    So you feel it is best for the US if Iran is trying hard to score? I guess I can see both arguments, but I lean toward the US being able to score a goal if it is allowed to play target practice.
    To my eye, we looked better in qualifying against teams that played a more open game and we struggled to unlock defensively-minded teams who let us dominate possession while looking for quick counterattacks. I’ll admit I haven’t looked at xG stats from individual qualifying games to confirm or deny my impression.

Even the first half of the Wales game, when Wales was content to sit back, we had one good goal-scoring chance. Fortunately, we took it well. Some may conclude that we looked worse against Wales when the game opened up but I attribute most of that to exhausted players and Berhalter waiting so long to introduce fresh legs.

We’ve only scored one goal in our last four matches. I’m not confident that we can score under any circumstance.
    This is a very fair point.

We had several good opportunities yesterday. But the difference between "chances" and "scores" is a massive chasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We had several good opportunities yesterday. But the difference between "chances" and "scores" is a massive chasm.
    The blast off the top crossbar wasn't as large of a chasm as other attempts...bummer that it wasn't a foot lower.

It took awhile for our corner kicks/ set pieces to start looking dangerous (nothing against Wales was close to threatening) but England defended well. Given similar chances, and seeing how Iran played against England, the US “should” generate more opportunities. Finishing will be the key.
    Last edited by AGDukesky; 11-26-2022 at 10:54 AM.

So much flopping by Argentina and Mexico already - this may be unwatchable

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    So much flopping by Argentina and Mexico already - this may be unwatchable
    Meteor game… hope they both lose.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Meteor game… hope they both lose.
    For me, Argentina v Mexico is the soccer equivalent of Kentucky v Heels. I generally enjoy seeing Argentina lose but I always want Mexico to lose—doesn’t matter who or where they are playing. I can live with another dos a cero In this one.

I’m fine with Argentina and Messi, and I like Tata from his time with Atlanta United. Really enjoying this match.

The first half of the Mexico-Argentina match looked like a Sunday old-timers pickup game. Ugly, ugly soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    The first half of the Mexico-Argentina match looked like a Sunday old-timers pickup game. Ugly, ugly soccer.
    Yeah, but the second half sure made up for that.

Yeah, but the second half sure made up for that.
    Unfortunately I was traveling and missed that. Just saw the highlights- great goal by Messi.

Nice to hear Derek Rae finally pronounce Kevin de Bruyne’s name correctly. Most announcers talk about “de Broy-nah”. It’s closer to the English “de Brown-uh”. I figured fdd would at least appreciate that much, even if it is Belgium.

“and it’s all going pear-shaped for Belgium….”