Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    I’m so down on our chances, I am *almost* not looking forward to the start of action. (Well, that and Qatar).

And the one of my kids and I were watching some sports and commercials came on promoting USMNT and the WC. And I started negotiating with myself. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope to get out of the group?

But I can’t shake the feeling that our only hope is that Wales and Iran are both worse that we are, and I can’t shake the feeling that both are going to show up and we are not going to.

Anyone with a lifeline for me?

ETA: to be clear, what I’m looking for is a lifeline for my hopes for USMNT. FDD has already cured my deep depression about the upcoming tournament and rekindled the spark of excitement that is going to be in full force once they start playing games. There is nothing like the World Cup. The knockout rounds combine everything that the NCAA MBB tournament has going for it, with deep benefits of a longer history, more scarcity and more continuity among both teams and personnel on those teams.
    Carolina delenda est

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I’m so down on our chances, I am *almost* not looking forward to the start of action. (Well, that and Qatar).

And the one of my kids and I were watching some sports and commercials came on promoting USMNT and the WC. And I started negotiating with myself. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope to get out of the group?

But I can’t shake the feeling that our only hope is that Wales and Iran are both worse that we are, and I can’t shake the feeling that both are going to show up and we are not going to.

Anyone with a lifeline for me?

ETA: to be clear, what I’m looking for is a lifeline for my hopes for USMNT. FDD has already cured my deep depression about the upcoming tournament and rekindled the spark of excitement that is going to be in full force once they start playing games. There is nothing like the World Cup. The knockout rounds combine everything that the NCAA MBB tournament has going for it, with deep benefits of a longer history, more scarcity and more continuity among both teams and personnel on those teams.
    Surprising roster. No Steffens - not he's performed at Middlesbrough, Moore - didn't see that one coming at all and he better not play, only 4 CBs, Roldan ... why? And didn't know Wright was even in the conversation, though they are reasons to pick/not pick a slew of forwards

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Surprising roster. No Steffens - not he's performed at Middlesbrough, Moore - didn't see that one coming at all and he better not play, only 4 CBs, Roldan ... why? And didn't know Wright was even in the conversation, though they are reasons to pick/not pick a slew of forwards
    Rearranging deck chairs, desperation move or ?
    Carolina delenda est

The FIFA video game series has successfully predicted the last three World Cups winners. I'm really hoping it's wrong this time.

EA SPORTS predicts Argentina to win the FIFA World Cup 2022

I actually like Lionel Messi but hate Argentina with the force of a thousand suns. I will be actively rooting against Argentina, Portugal, France. Nine more days. I'm at the nervous yet excited phase now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The FIFA video game series has successfully predicted the last three World Cups winners. I'm really hoping it's wrong this time.

I actually like Lionel Messi but hate Argentina with the force of a thousand suns. I will be actively rooting against Argentina, Portugal, France. Nine more days. I'm at the nervous yet excited phase now.
    Falklands related may I assume?

Are we related?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Falklands related may I assume?
    More from hand ball issues. 1986 was the year I learned about heartbreak (once in the spring and again in the summer for good measure).

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Are we related?
    Distantly maybe. I do really like the Netherlands. Ruud Gullit is one of my all time favorites as is Dennis Bergkamp. I pull for them against anyone except England.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 11-11-2022 at 09:57 AM.

More from hand ball issues. 1986 was the year I learned about heartbreak (once in the spring and again in the summer for good measure).

Distantly maybe. I do really like the Netherlands. Ruud Gullit is one of my all time favorites as is Dennis Bergkamp. I pull for them against anyone except England.
    Ah, now you're getting on God's case ! (you know what I mean)...that was just plain pitiful. I appreciate a guy who can hold a good grudge.

COYG!

I guess anybody looking for confirmation of fdd's claim of a link between Ronaldo and cancer was probably satisfied with this past weekend's events.

I will enjoy watching the Netherlands now that Floppin' Robben has moved on. Tremendous player who felt compelled to collapse whenever touched slightly.

Belgium

The Skinny: Belgium has ranked in the top 3 in FIFA for a very, very, very long time. Despite a population of ~11 million people, Belgium has some of the best talent in the world. And this is a recent phenomena. Historically, Belgium has been bad. Then, all of a sudden, players like De Bruyne, Eden Hazard, Lukaku, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Meunier, Castagne, Witsel, and Trossard popped up. They are all relatively the same age. This "golden age" of Belgium football has been around for a decade. The problem is, they are all old. Their center backs are 35 and 33 years old. De Bruyne is on the wrong side of 30. Hazard is 31 and plays like he's 41. This World Cup is their last true chance at glory (they made it to the semis in the last World Cup).

Why They'll Win: Because the opposing teams couldn't stop Kevin De Bruyne. If Man City and Belgium have taught us anything, it's that shutting down Kevin De Bruyne is a surefire way to make sure Man City/Belgium do not score. But that is a very, very tall order. Kante shut down De Bruyne in the previous World Cup. Reece James shut down De Bruyne in the Chelsea/Man City Champions League final. There is absolutely a correlation between the two. However, if you cannot stop De Bruyne, it's over. He will run havoc around your team. He will make passes and make you throw inanimate objects at your TV. The man is special.

Why They'll Lose: Because their defense is slow. Vertonghen and Alderweireld are talented players. Both played at Tottenham for a long period of time. Both are tall and physical. They are also both older (mid-30s). And they are slow. They cannot stop fast moving and creative attacks. They let in a lot of goals. Belgium can manufacture goals; they can also let a lot in.

The Impact Player Who You Know: Kevin De Bruyne. Yes, I've mentioned him a lot in this post, and with good reason. He is the best midfielder in the world. If I was building a team today, he'd be the first player I'd choose (over Haaland and Mbappe). Soccer doesn't have a PG, but De Bruyne would be the closest thing to it. He's Chris Paul on the field, minus the nut tapping. His IQ for passing is off the charts. His outside shot is up there with the best. He's big, he's not slow, and he's more athletic than critics give him credit for. Everything in Belgium goes through him. He is arguably the most irreplaceable player in the World Cup, because Belgium would be a mediocre team without him.

The Impact Player Who You May Not Know: Thomas Meunier. It's tough to choose a player here, because everyone is either old and underperforming and too young and irrelevant. Enter Thomas Meunier, who plays for Dortmund and seems to be on everyone's wish list yet no one wants to pay for him. He's a right back but versatile enough to play in midfield. He can defend, he can pass, and he can score if in the right place at the right time. He's the kind of player you need to advance because he doesn't mind doing the dirty work.

FDD Watchability Meter: 7/10. There is a lot of talent on this team, and De Bruyne is worthy of your time. He is a magician on the field.

FDD Likability Meter: 4/10. Belgium is to Holland what Canada is to the US. You're not supposed to like them, but the truth is your culture, language, geography is all pretty close to one another. I have never liked Belgium for the sake they are Belgium; I have nothing against them as a team or the players, other than I don't want them to win the WC because that would be the biggest slap in the face to Holland.

NCAA Comp: Houston. Never won a championship despite some incredible, incredible talent. Highly relevant today. For some reason, few give Houston credit. And let's face it - they aren't really that likable.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    FDD Likability Meter: 4/10. Belgium is to Holland what Canada is to the US. You're not supposed to like them, but the truth is your culture, language, geography is all pretty close to one another. I have never liked Belgium for the sake they are Belgium; I have nothing against them as a team or the players, other than I don't want them to win the WC because that would be the biggest slap in the face to Holland.
    LOL. Spoken like a damn Dutchman.

I love watching any team with KdB on it. There's nothing quite like watching him take four defenders out of play with a single, perfectly weighted through-ball and putting his attacker immediately one-on-one with the opposing keeper. Magic. If they meet, I'll cheer for the Dutch or USA (yes, I'm a homer) over Belgium, but otherwise, I'll be hoping Belgium wins every game. They won't, but I'll be hoping they do.

Can someone explain to me why there is a Wales team in the World Cup. I'm crazy confused by this.

Is this the year that the USA is going to win it all? Can you guys imagine if the best US athletes played soccer? Ok, maybe the best that don't play basketball? Or the best that don't play basketball and football? There certainly in a country of 330,000,000 people someone that hit the genetic lottery of freak athlete that likes to play soccer! Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Can someone explain to me why there is a Wales team in the World Cup. I'm crazy confused by this.
    What are you confused by — how Wales qualified or why England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own football teams?

What are you confused by — how Wales qualified or why England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own football teams?
    All of the above.

All of the above.
    England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (maybe just Ireland as part of the UK at the time) each had football associations going back before there was a UEFA or FIFA, so are each a separate country for international football purposes.

Wales qualified out of UEFA like any other team in the region.

The countries in the UK may not be separate sovereigns, but they oddly joined together.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (maybe just Ireland as part of the UK at the time) each had football associations going back before there was a UEFA or FIFA, so are each a separate country for international football purposes.

Wales qualified out of UEFA like any other team in the region.

The countries in the UK may not be separate sovereigns, but they oddly joined together.
    So, if the Union and the Confederacy had soccer teams that competed internationally back in the day, the US could send two teams? Still confused.

They are four separate countries, joined into one United Kingdom.

Is this the year that the USA is going to win it all? Can you guys imagine if the best US athletes played soccer? Ok, maybe the best that don't play basketball? Or the best that don't play basketball and football? There certainly in a country of 330,000,000 people someone that hit the genetic lottery of freak athlete that likes to play soccer! Ugh!
    The issue is not the lack of athletes. From what I understand our system of training young players and how they progress to be competitive adult players is quite lacking. I'm sure someone can post details as I've only been involved as a coach at lower levels.