Page 23 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I give a ton of credit to Tyler Adams on how he handled the pre-match press conference. He had to handle some just trash questions.
    For those that did not see it:

https://twitter.com/meninblazers/sta...SZ6VW3aZFdKV1Q

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I'm curious how Iranians pronounce "the United States of America"? I agree that he did a marvelous job with his answer - quite a bit better than I would have done in his place. Kudos to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm curious how Iranians pronounce "the United States of America"?
    Some pronounce it “deth too grate say-tan” (or at least they did when I was a kid)

Some pronounce it “deth too grate say-tan” (or at least they did when I was a kid)
    Of course, when we were kids, some Americans were also singing "Bomb, bomb, booooomb, bomb, bomb Iran", so there's that.

So nervous for today! USA needs to step up to the plate to get the W!

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Of course, when we were kids, some Americans were also singing "Bomb, bomb, booooomb, bomb, bomb Iran", so there's that.
    Yes, but apparently we were pronouncing it wrong.

In all seriousness, the stunt pulled was not a protest, it was an insult to another nation IMO. Not only was it low-brow, it was tactically stupid to do right before our match with them.

Do yellow card accumulations reset after this round? Because I expect this to be a nasty hard battle on the pitch and we are sitting on a few yellows as-is.

Let’s go win!

Yes, but apparently we were pronouncing it wrong.

In all seriousness, the stunt pulled was not a protest, it was an insult to another nation IMO. Not only was it low-brow, it was tactically stupid to do right before our match with them.

Do yellow card accumulations reset after this round? Because I expect this to be a nasty hard battle on the pitch and we are sitting on a few yellows as-is.

Let’s go win!
    According to this article, yellow cards continue to accumulate until the end of the quarterfinals:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/soccer/news/world-cup-yellow-cards-rules-2022-how-many-suspension-fifa/z8uhqu6vyqalmrekcj9whtxt

I’m very nervous about this game getting nasty. I can’t decide if I want the US to score early and then have to survive an onslaught or score in stoppage time at the end of the game. Either will be nerve-wracking….

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    According to this article, yellow cards continue to accumulate until the end of the quarterfinals:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/...almrekcj9whtxt

I’m very nervous about this game getting nasty. I can’t decide if I want the US to score early and then have to survive an onslaught or score in stoppage time at the end of the game. Either will be nerve-wracking….
    I do not want to wait until stoppage time to get the lead! Let’s get a multi-goal early and keep it!

And, btw, I think stoppage time is really stupid. Just use a game clock like we do for other sports in the modern era.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/...almrekcj9whtxt

We should do what England did and not what Wales did.

We need to score early -- otherwise, won't Iran go into a defensive mode, hoping for a nil-nil tie?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We need to score early -- otherwise, won't Iran go into a defensive mode, hoping for a nil-nil tie?
    Yes, especially if England is up on Wales. (A Welsh win and an Iranian tie knocks out Iran).

We need to score early and often. Which would be a surprise for this team but they are capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I do not want to wait until stoppage time to get the lead! Let’s get a multi-goal early and keep it!

And, btw, I think stoppage time is really stupid. Just use a game clock like we do for other sports in the modern era.
    Yeah that would be ideal - I just don’t know if we have the offense to do it.

Stoppage time is so strange- I get why it made some sense before scoreboards but it gives too much power to the referee and can be so arbitrary.

Yeah that would be ideal - I just don’t know if we have the offense to do it.
    We will need a very different offense, since we have so few shots on goal so far (the fewest???)

I love stoppage time. It makes everything so tense, knowing that a particular build *may* be the last chance for a team, but not knowing if the ref will blow the whistle if the defense interrupts the attack quickly.

I’m surprised there is so much grousing about the fundamental rules of soccer. Whenever I watch a big tournament, I find it hard to get back into sports like basketball and football with the same level of excitement. There are just so many low impact moments in an average basketball or football game. In soccer one errant pass (or one sublime tackle, etc) can make the difference in the game.

At any rate, I’m already stressed about the game today. I hope the U.S. scores in the first minute and never looks back. For my heart’s sake.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I love stoppage time. It makes everything so tense, knowing that a particular build *may* be the last chance for a team, but not knowing if the ref will blow the whistle if the defense interrupts the attack quickly.
    Meh, that is only true for about 15-30 seconds. Typically we know how much extra time there is and the ref gives one last push around that timing. I guess if something major happens like a goal or injury then some mystery time is created again. It was more exciting when you didn’t know the amount of stoppage time but then the ref could do almost anything.

Lecture at the University of Chicago which starts at exactly game time dammit. Hopefully I will catch the last half or at least the last 30 minutes. I will discourage questions. They have access to Google Scholar.

Meh, that is only true for about 15-30 seconds. Typically we know how much extra time there is and the ref gives one last push around that timing. I guess if something major happens like a goal or injury then some mystery time is created again. It was more exciting when you didn’t know the amount of stoppage time but then the ref could do almost anything.
    Well, yeah. I thought people were grousing about know the exact second the whistle would blow. If there are 5 minutes of extra time you know that there will be at least 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

I’m surprised there is so much grousing about the fundamental rules of soccer. Whenever I watch a big tournament, I find it hard to get back into sports like basketball and football with the same level of excitement. There are just so many low impact moments in an average basketball or football game. In soccer one errant pass (or one sublime tackle, etc) can make the difference in the game.

At any rate, I’m already stressed about the game today. I hope the U.S. scores in the first minute and never looks back. For my heart’s sake.
    Could not agree more. I wish I had a more positive feeling about this match but goals have been hard to come by for this team and Iran is likely to play a defensive, counterattacking style. It seems like a game that suits Gio Reyna but Berhalter appears to have some hesitation about using him—at least so far. Aside from us unlocking their defense for an early goal, next best scenario would be Wales scoring early against England and forcing Iran to come out of their shell.

I completely agree with the first line.

I completely disagree with the second. The NCAA does the second thing, and it inevitably means that the last half minute or so of each half is incredibly boring, since the exact ending moment is 100% predictable. Leaving that touch of uncertainty, on the other hand, makes the end of every half very exciting, unless the game is already way out of hand. It may offend sensibilities attuned to scientific precision, but it really heightens the emotional impact and sense of drama.

ETA: Speaking of emotional investment, I had such low expectations for the U.S. team coming into the World Cup, I feel getting through to the knockout rounds is gravy. I am probably more invested in the outcomes for Netherlands, England, and Argentina than I am in today's game.

Wow Ecuador-Senegal just got fun! 2-1 Senegal with opposing goals two minutes apart.