Thread: RIP Coolio

RIP Coolio

RIP to Coolio. A talented musician who was a major part of the soundtrack of my time at Duke - his music brings back many happy memories of good times in Durham.

RIP Coolio

Hope he’s resting in gangster’s paradise. We’ll see you when we get there.

6452E4A5-5274-45AA-B083-7791105CD65E.jpg

Some thoughts about Coolio.

1. The video for "Fantastic Voyage" is like the hip-hop version of "Love Shack", only tenfold -- he's got him a Chrysler, it seats about 200.

2. Whether he approved of it or not, Coolio was immortalized by a Weird Al parody.

3. His unforgettable appearance on The Food Network's Chopped. There's a really poor quality video of it, and also this article. I saw him squeeze the lemon onto his dishes after time was up and thought, "That is so gangsta." It's hard to get away with cheating in front of the camera, and he was indeed chopped.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Hope he’s resting in gangster’s paradise. We’ll see you when we get there.

6452E4A5-5274-45AA-B083-7791105CD65E.jpg
    I will NEVER be in "gangster's paradise". (Not cool enough) Will have to wave to him from wherever I end up.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Some thoughts about Coolio.

1. The video for "Fantastic Voyage" is like the hip-hop version of "Love Shack", only tenfold -- he's got him a Chrysler, it seats about 200.

2. Whether he approved of it or not, Coolio was immortalized by a Weird Al parody.

3. His unforgettable appearance on The Food Network's Chopped. There's a really poor quality video of it, and also this article. I saw him squeeze the lemon onto his dishes after time was up and thought, "That is so gangsta." It's hard to get away with cheating in front of the camera, and he was indeed chopped.
    Weird Al, on a VH1 music show (forgot which one) noted that Coolio was upset with the parody. Weird Al "apologized" for it.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Weird Al, on a VH1 music show (forgot which one) noted that Coolio was upset with the parody. Weird Al "apologized" for it.
    I do find it quite ironic that "Gangsta's Paradise" was a cover of Stevie Wonder's Pastime Paradise (as noted in the linked article as well) so can't really be upset with another cover/satire of it. Having said that, seems like all was good in the end and there was simply a communication misunderstanding (as can happen).

I actually recall for my junior high "music show", us students WANTED to perform Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise but the teacher/admin thought it wasn't appropriate for school so chose Pastime Paradise instead...Interestingly, Gangsta's Paradise is basically the ONLY Coolio song without any profanities (because Stevie Wonder didn't like them), although of course it uses the word "gangsta."

RIP Coolio!

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Coolio later apologized and said he was wrong to react angrily. And as noted, Coolio basically ripped off — er, “sampled” — Stevie Wonder.

Al’s tweet yesterday:

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/1575312521497452546?s=46&t=bzmsjOTSQld_JyMhpZ7rqg

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Coolio later apologized and said he was wrong to react angrily. And as noted, Coolio basically ripped off — er, “sampled” — Stevie Wonder.

Al’s tweet yesterday:

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/statu...Qld_JyMhpZ7rqg
    Here's the Coolio quote (from the linked Al thread). Coolio rips into HIMSELF for being "stupid" and "cocky" and that he [Coolio] was "wrong":
    https://twitter.com/danozzi/status/1...578689/photo/1