Any audiologists out there?

My uncle is 82 years old and very active. However, his hearing is in GREAT decline and it is really bringing him down. He has tried various hearing aids, most recently from the VA since his hearing loss is service connected (served before they knew to wear ear protection while firing guns!). At first, he will be excited about new ones, but then the same old complaint. They hurt his ears b/c the problem is not VOLUME but UNDERSTANDING what people are saying. He has the most trouble on the phone. I am worried about his mental well-being - he seems very down and frustrated over not being able to communicate as freely as he could.

Are there hearing aids that help with COMPREHENSION issues more than VOLUME issues? It has been my understanding that there are aids for almost everyone, he just needs to find the right ones.

Any help appreciated!

I'm not an audiologist, but i do know a bit about the problems you're describing...it's not the overall volume that is the issue (generally) but actually the decline in being able to hear certain frequencies. (specifically in the speech range)

an appointment with an audiologist would give you the test results you need for hearing aids that can be easily adjusted with individual frequency notches...(most with an iphone app) to get him to a comfortable place...

also, good hearing aids cost real money...

hope this helps .
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I'm not an audiologist, but i do know a bit about the problems you're describing...it's not the overall volume that is the issue (generally) but actually the decline in being able to hear certain frequencies. (specifically in the speech range)

an appointment with an audiologist would give you the test results you need for hearing aids that can be easily adjusted with individual frequency notches...(most with an iphone app) to get him to a comfortable place...

also, good hearing aids cost real money...

hope this helps .
    Those apps are also available for Android. Not everyone uses Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Those apps are also available for Android. Not everyone uses Apple.
    acckk...yes...or even other "smart phones"....i use "iphone" the same way i use "zerox" or "kleenx"...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese