Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 181

Thread: Hurricanes 2022

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Carolina Hurricanes won their first pre-season game tonight, over Tampa Bay of all teams, 5-1. It's possible that TB had their focus elsewhere.
    The Hurricanes were named after Hurricane Fran came through Raleigh in 1996.

    Iím more than a little concerned for my niece Robin who lives in Ft. Myers. Rather than evacuate to my brothers house near Ft. Lauderdale sheís gone to a friendís house thatís ďstructurally sound with shuttersĒ. Iím not sure that was a good decision.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The Hurricanes were named after Hurricane Fran came through Raleigh in 1996.

    Iím more than a little concerned for my niece Robin who lives in Ft. Myers. Rather than evacuate to my brothers house near Ft. Lauderdale sheís gone to a friendís house thatís ďstructurally sound with shuttersĒ. Iím not sure that was a good decision.
    Depends on the friend's distance from the coast (even 1 mile can be huge) and elevation. Storm surge will be the biggest threat. The house sounds like it will be safe but scary while riding it out. Getting back to her residence after Ian passes could be a problem so staying near was probably a factor in not going to Ft. Lauderdale.

    Hope for the best (which still won't be good).
    Past is gone, thou canst not that recall; Future is not, may not be at all;
    Present is, [so] improve the flying hour; Present only is within thy power. - Friar Park Clock Tower [author unknown]

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My girlfriend's sister lives in Naples and chose to stay. She's at least smartly camping out in her office building and not her house.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My girlfriend's sister lives in Naples and chose to stay. She's at least smartly camping out in her office building and not her house.
    Naples seems to be somewhat on the "fringe" of it with a projected 2-4 inches of rain whereas Venice is supposed to get up to 15 inches + hurricane force winds. Seems like Orlando is going to be pummeled with 10-15 inches of rain too although the winds may die down potentially by the time it goes over some land...Hoping for the best.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Iím more than a little concerned for my niece Robin who lives in Ft. Myers. Rather than evacuate to my brothers house near Ft. Lauderdale sheís gone to a friendís house thatís ďstructurally sound with shuttersĒ. Iím not sure that was a good decision.
    Hopefully it's on a hill, though I think those are few and far between in that area.

    From the NWS this morning:

    The forecast intensity is raised to 135 kt at landfall, and we are
    now forecasting a catastrophic storm surge of 12 to 16 ft from
    Englewood to Bonita Beach, Florida.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    NWS still calling for 2-6 inches for Durham Friday night thru Sunday morning...have to chuckle at the weather "turd polishers" (old bidness term) who take the same modestly reliable data and forecast 2.3 inches of rain stopping at 9pm...

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    NWS still calling for 2-6 inches for Durham Friday night thru Sunday morning...have to chuckle at the weather "turd polishers" (old bidness term) who take the same modestly reliable data and forecast 2.3 inches of rain stopping at 9pm...
    IanRain.jpg

    They are expecting it slow down to walking speed, which keeps the weekend very wet for lots of people in a wide area.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    NWS still calling for 2-6 inches for Durham Friday night thru Sunday morning...have to chuckle at the weather "turd polishers" (old bidness term) who take the same modestly reliable data and forecast 2.3 inches of rain stopping at 9pm...
    Interesting. It has seemed to me that they have tended to OVER forecast lately b/c they if they don't, they piss off a lot of underprepared people.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Interesting. It has seemed to me that they have tended to OVER forecast lately b/c they if they don't, they piss off a lot of underprepared people.
    They always do with hurricane tracks and effects. I have seen them refer to it in the not for the public discussion as "the path of least regret."

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    So Iím in Boca Grande waiting for the eye wall to get here in about an hour so I can check on my retail store.

    Yea, I know what youíre all thinking, and I wouldnít recommend my decision for anyone else. But Iíve been through a bunch of big hurricanes in my life and knew what to expect and prepare for.

    Itís been blowing like hell, lots of tree damage but not much structural damage that Iíve seen on the island. Most homes here are built to cat 5 standards, Iím in one, we are prepared, and I feel very safe. Many homes off the island are in flood areas and not built to the standard of the house Iím in. Thereís going to be some severe damage in SW Florida.

    Believe it or not, we still have power on the island as I type this.

    We are certainly not out of the woods for some major damage on the island. As the storm moves inland just north of us we are going to see a switch to onshore winds on a high tide about 3pm.

    Iím hoping my retail shop doesnít get flooded with the expected storm surge.

    Not concerned our personal safety, we are well above any expected surge.

    Hope everyone takes this one seriously and stays safe, itís a nasty one.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    So Iím in Boca Grande waiting for the eye wall to get here in about an hour so I can check on my retail store.

    Yea, I know what youíre all thinking, and I wouldnít recommend my decision for anyone else. But Iíve been through a bunch of big hurricanes in my life and knew what to expect and prepare for.

    Itís been blowing like hell, lots of tree damage but not much structural damage that Iíve seen on the island. Most homes here are built to cat 5 standards, Iím in one, we are prepared, and I feel very safe. Many homes off the island are in flood areas and not built to the standard of the house Iím in. Thereís going to be some severe damage in SW Florida.

    Believe it or not, we still have power on the island as I type this.

    We are certainly not out of the woods for some major damage on the island. As the storm moves inland just north of us we are going to see a switch to onshore winds on a high tide about 3pm.

    Iím hoping my retail shop doesnít get flooded with the expected storm surge.

    Not concerned our personal safety, we are well above any expected surge.

    Hope everyone takes this one seriously and stays safe, itís a nasty one.
    Best wishes. Stay safe.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    So Iím in Boca Grande waiting for the eye wall to get here in about an hour so I can check on my retail store.
    I had to look up that location. Ugh, you are getting bullseyed. Sounds like you are safe, but eek.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    NWS just updated that for Port Charlotte that a surge of 18 feet is truly expected. Even if the house you live in is taller than 18 feet, it's the wall of water beneath you acting like a bulldozer that is a very scary thought.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Thanks all.

    Bummer, just lost power. This is a big, wide storm. Probably gonna be at least 5 days without power from here on out.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Summerville ,S.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    NWS just updated that for Port Charlotte that a surge of 18 feet is truly expected. Even if the house you live in is taller than 18 feet, it's the wall of water beneath you acting like a bulldozer that is a very scary thought.
    Don't under estimate the power of water.
    I've seen it move entire stacks of 40 ft containers that were loaded .it picked them up moved them 100 yds and set them down like they were put there.
    Absolutely amazingly frightening.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Thanks all.

    Bummer, just lost power. This is a big, wide storm. Probably gonna be at least 5 days without power from here on out.
    Best wishes Wheat.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    NWS just updated that for Port Charlotte that a surge of 18 feet is truly expected. Even if the house you live in is taller than 18 feet, it's the wall of water beneath you acting like a bulldozer that is a very scary thought.
    The harbor is shallow and the water piles up from the wind. People around the harbor are often in low lying areas in older homes. Itís not going to be good around the harbor.

    Out here, the surge comes from the gulf and will wash across the island if it gets that high. Itís a barrier island and only about 1/2 mile wide at its widest point. Most homes are built to allow flow underneath, this one is, and we are over 25ft.

    My business building is 119 years old and at about 5 ft above sea level. Thatís my worry at the moment.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Don't under estimate the power of water.
    I've seen it move entire stacks of 40 ft containers that were loaded. It picked them up moved them 100 yds and set them down like they were put there.
    Absolutely amazingly frightening.
    Water and wind are two of Mother Nature's most powerful weapons of mass destruction. They know no limit.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Don't under estimate the power of water.
    I've seen it move entire stacks of 40 ft containers that were loaded .it picked them up moved them 100 yds and set them down like they were put there.
    Absolutely amazingly frightening.
    Absolutely right. I’ve spent my whole life on the water, it demands great respect.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    My business building is 119 years old and at about 5 ft above sea level. Thatís my worry at the moment.
    So you were able to watch them build it? jk, trying to put some humor in a very not funny situation...

    Well, you'll be able to watch them rebuild it if you want.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Similar Threads

  1. Wimbledon 2022
    By curtis325 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-11-2022, 09:00 AM
  2. NFL Draft 2022
    By Acymetric in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-03-2022, 10:35 AM
  3. Carolina Hurricanes 2021
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-04-2021, 12:16 AM
  4. Carolina Hurricanes 2019-2020 Thread
    By HereBeforeCoachK in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 08-18-2020, 09:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •