Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes 2022

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Carolina Hurricanes won their first pre-season game tonight, over Tampa Bay of all teams, 5-1. It's possible that TB had their focus elsewhere.
    The Hurricanes were named after Hurricane Fran came through Raleigh in 1996.

I’m more than a little concerned for my niece Robin who lives in Ft. Myers. Rather than evacuate to my brothers house near Ft. Lauderdale she’s gone to a friend’s house that’s “structurally sound with shutters”. I’m not sure that was a good decision.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The Hurricanes were named after Hurricane Fran came through Raleigh in 1996.

I’m more than a little concerned for my niece Robin who lives in Ft. Myers. Rather than evacuate to my brothers house near Ft. Lauderdale she’s gone to a friend’s house that’s “structurally sound with shutters”. I’m not sure that was a good decision.
    Depends on the friend's distance from the coast (even 1 mile can be huge) and elevation. Storm surge will be the biggest threat. The house sounds like it will be safe but scary while riding it out. Getting back to her residence after Ian passes could be a problem so staying near was probably a factor in not going to Ft. Lauderdale.

Hope for the best (which still won't be good).
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My girlfriend's sister lives in Naples and chose to stay. She's at least smartly camping out in her office building and not her house.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

My girlfriend's sister lives in Naples and chose to stay. She's at least smartly camping out in her office building and not her house.
    Naples seems to be somewhat on the "fringe" of it with a projected 2-4 inches of rain whereas Venice is supposed to get up to 15 inches + hurricane force winds. Seems like Orlando is going to be pummeled with 10-15 inches of rain too although the winds may die down potentially by the time it goes over some land...Hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Hopefully it's on a hill, though I think those are few and far between in that area.

From the NWS this morning:

The forecast intensity is raised to 135 kt at landfall, and we are
    now forecasting a catastrophic storm surge of 12 to 16 ft from
    Englewood to Bonita Beach, Florida.

NWS still calling for 2-6 inches for Durham Friday night thru Sunday morning...have to chuckle at the weather "turd polishers" (old bidness term) who take the same modestly reliable data and forecast 2.3 inches of rain stopping at 9pm...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    NWS still calling for 2-6 inches for Durham Friday night thru Sunday morning...have to chuckle at the weather "turd polishers" (old bidness term) who take the same modestly reliable data and forecast 2.3 inches of rain stopping at 9pm...
    IanRain.jpg

They are expecting it slow down to walking speed, which keeps the weekend very wet for lots of people in a wide area.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Interesting. It has seemed to me that they have tended to OVER forecast lately b/c they if they don't, they piss off a lot of underprepared people.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Interesting. It has seemed to me that they have tended to OVER forecast lately b/c they if they don't, they piss off a lot of underprepared people.
    They always do with hurricane tracks and effects. I have seen them refer to it in the not for the public discussion as "the path of least regret."

So I’m in Boca Grande waiting for the eye wall to get here in about an hour so I can check on my retail store.

Yea, I know what you’re all thinking, and I wouldn’t recommend my decision for anyone else. But I’ve been through a bunch of big hurricanes in my life and knew what to expect and prepare for.

It’s been blowing like hell, lots of tree damage but not much structural damage that I’ve seen on the island. Most homes here are built to cat 5 standards, I’m in one, we are prepared, and I feel very safe. Many homes off the island are in flood areas and not built to the standard of the house I’m in. There’s going to be some severe damage in SW Florida.

Believe it or not, we still have power on the island as I type this.

We are certainly not out of the woods for some major damage on the island. As the storm moves inland just north of us we are going to see a switch to onshore winds on a high tide about 3pm.

I’m hoping my retail shop doesn’t get flooded with the expected storm surge.

Not concerned our personal safety, we are well above any expected surge.

Hope everyone takes this one seriously and stays safe, it’s a nasty one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    So I’m in Boca Grande waiting for the eye wall to get here in about an hour so I can check on my retail store.

Yea, I know what you’re all thinking, and I wouldn’t recommend my decision for anyone else. But I’ve been through a bunch of big hurricanes in my life and knew what to expect and prepare for.

It’s been blowing like hell, lots of tree damage but not much structural damage that I’ve seen on the island. Most homes here are built to cat 5 standards, I’m in one, we are prepared, and I feel very safe. Many homes off the island are in flood areas and not built to the standard of the house I’m in. There’s going to be some severe damage in SW Florida.

Believe it or not, we still have power on the island as I type this.

We are certainly not out of the woods for some major damage on the island. As the storm moves inland just north of us we are going to see a switch to onshore winds on a high tide about 3pm.

I’m hoping my retail shop doesn’t get flooded with the expected storm surge.

Not concerned our personal safety, we are well above any expected surge.

Hope everyone takes this one seriously and stays safe, it’s a nasty one.
    Best wishes. Stay safe.

I had to look up that location. Ugh, you are getting bullseyed. Sounds like you are safe, but eek.

NWS just updated that for Port Charlotte that a surge of 18 feet is truly expected. Even if the house you live in is taller than 18 feet, it's the wall of water beneath you acting like a bulldozer that is a very scary thought.

Thanks all.

Bummer, just lost power. This is a big, wide storm. Probably gonna be at least 5 days without power from here on out.

NWS just updated that for Port Charlotte that a surge of 18 feet is truly expected. Even if the house you live in is taller than 18 feet, it's the wall of water beneath you acting like a bulldozer that is a very scary thought.
    Don't under estimate the power of water.
    I've seen it move entire stacks of 40 ft containers that were loaded .it picked them up moved them 100 yds and set them down like they were put there.
    Absolutely amazingly frightening.

Thanks all.

Bummer, just lost power. This is a big, wide storm. Probably gonna be at least 5 days without power from here on out.
    Best wishes Wheat.

9F 9F 9F

The harbor is shallow and the water piles up from the wind. People around the harbor are often in low lying areas in older homes. It’s not going to be good around the harbor.

Out here, the surge comes from the gulf and will wash across the island if it gets that high. It’s a barrier island and only about 1/2 mile wide at its widest point. Most homes are built to allow flow underneath, this one is, and we are over 25ft.

My business building is 119 years old and at about 5 ft above sea level. That’s my worry at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I've seen it move entire stacks of 40 ft containers that were loaded. It picked them up moved them 100 yds and set them down like they were put there.
    Water and wind are two of Mother Nature's most powerful weapons of mass destruction. They know no limit.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I've seen it move entire stacks of 40 ft containers that were loaded .it picked them up moved them 100 yds and set them down like they were put there.
    Absolutely right. I’ve spent my whole life on the water, it demands great respect.

My business building is 119 years old and at about 5 ft above sea level. That’s my worry at the moment.
    So you were able to watch them build it? jk, trying to put some humor in a very not funny situation...

Well, you'll be able to watch them rebuild it if you want.

9F 9F 9F